The Face of Pan (revised)

KingPin

I haven't heard this arrangement before, but that performance was a year after the LLL release. Maybe Williams felt compelled to revisit this score after overseeing the expansion?

This version certainly has a few hallmarks of modern Williams writing with that heavier focus on flute work (which was brilliant in the original piece but only accentuated the rest of the orchestration). It sounds wonderful of course, but reminds me of War Horse more than Hook.

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I haven't heard this arrangement before, but that performance was a year after the LLL release. Maybe Williams felt compelled to revisit this score after overseeing the expansion?

This version certainly has a few hallmarks of modern Williams writing with that heavier focus on flute work (which was brilliant in the original piece but only accentuated the rest of the orchestration). It sounds wonderful of course, but reminds me of War Horse more than Hook.

It reminded me a little of War Horse too, and also a little bit of the concert arrangement of Irina's Theme from KOTCS. I like the extended flute cadenza at the end but I miss the extended brass interlude from the Boston Pops recording.

30 minutes ago, KingPin said:

It reminded me a little of War Horse too, and also a little bit of the concert arrangement of Irina's Theme from KOTCS. I like the extended flute cadenza at the end but I miss the extended brass interlude from the Boston Pops recording.

Yeah, the brass of the original piece really lends that solemn, reflective element to the music. Seems less of a focus in this version.

Thank you for bring this to our attention!

The new version is very interesting as it really takes the previous concert arrangement as the basis on which to develop the material but does subtle alterations that at times seem to change the nature of the piece to my ears. The string accompaniment sounds a bit more like modern Williams with more elegiac and darker undertones to it and the flute solo at the end has gone through some revisions as well.

I never felt that the actual main melody was too much Delerue temp track influenced compared to the opening harp figures as Williams handled the melody, as religioso both Delerue's and Williams' pieces are, differently than Delerue already in the score. The original concert version is excellent but I think the new one is not bad either.

The ending is very reminiscent of Remembrances from Schindler's List, too.

A more somber interpretation of this piece, which was originally more reflective and hopeful in its ruminations. Interesting evolution in Williams' thoughts on this score.

I've seen the YMF Orchestra perform live once. They are based out of LA and comprised mainly of high school and college music students. The time I saw them, John Williams led them in three pieces, including the world concert premieres of Dartmoor 1912 from War Horse and The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin, so I am inclined to believe that this performance was actually him conducting.

This is one of my alltime favourite Williams tracks, and part of the 'religious sound' of his I love so much; in fact, the main ingredient in my Williams love in general (far more than the action stuff).

The revised version posted above is fine, but I think I prefer the original arrangement which is somehow more consonant and 'aching'. Less ornamentation.

Where did this 2013 recording with the Young Musician Foundation Orchestra was broadcasted? Is it a bootleg?

If it's been broadcasted, I would like to document it on my website.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

but I think I prefer the original arrangement which is somehow more consonant and 'aching'. Less ornamentation.

It's the "aching" choral part which always gets overbearing for me, in this, the Hook soundtrack. This alternate is much more classy and sonically agreeable, IMO. 

The unused choral version of the original track is a bit much for me, personally. Especially considering its companion piece, "You Are the Pan", is so heavily choral anyway.I

This is a really lovely arrangement. I too miss the extended brass interlude but the greater complexities in the orchestration kind of make up for it. I do prefer the theme as it exists in the OST, though. The fifth note being extended has never quite sit right with me. The original is more simplistic. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, to each their own. I'm a sucker for 'aching' choral music.

Do you like the shrill melodramatics of the Hymn to the Fallen climax then? I detest voices which sound like that. 

I've known  of this version for some years now. Williams did a full concert with the YMF Orchestra, that being the source of this particular recording. I remember he conducted this same version of The Face of Pan either with the LA Philharmonic at the Bowl or the Pops at Tanglewood, but I'm not sure right now with which one.

Personally, while I've loved the previous versions for what seems an entire lifetime, I think I prefer this new revision. Love the new flute solo.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Do you like the shrill melodramatics of the Hymn to the Fallen climax then? I detest voices which sound like that. 

I do, yes.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I've known  of this version for some years now. Williams did a full concert with the YMF Orchestra, that being the source of this particular recording. I remember he conducted this same version of The Face of Pan either with the LA Philharmonic at the Bowl or the Pops at Tanglewood, but I'm not sure right now with which one.

Personally, while I've loved the previous versions for what seems an entire lifetime, I think I prefer this new revision. Love the new flute solo.

Any idea what years these performances would have been? 

The entire YMF concert can be heard here:

58th Annual Benefit Gala: An Evening with John Williams
Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra , conducted by John Williams
February 9, 2013

http://www.instantencore.com/music/details.aspx?PId=5104195

5 minutes ago, thx99 said:

February 9, 2013

You are an absolute legend!

Direct link for The Face Of Pan:

http://www.instantencore.com/music/player.aspx?ListItemId=6339937

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Unfortunately, the direct linking doesn't work.  It opens a playlist window that relies on the user already having added the track.

39 minutes ago, thx99 said:

February 9, 2013

Awesome, thanks!

BTW I did some searching and turns out there was a main page article for this concert, but it was never discussed in the forums!

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5357

• 2 years later...
On 11/17/2016 at 3:04 AM, TownerFan said:

My hero! Hadn't listened to this in years, still just as beautiful as I remembered.

Wasn't sure I'd even be able to find the revised version on YouTube. Here's hoping we get a proper studio recording one day...

I still like the version from the Symphonic Suite a bit better.

Could someone point me to the Delerue source piece mentioned earlier in the thread?