SCORE: Schindler's List (John Williams) Review of the Soundtrack Album

Incanus

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, this is an embarrassingly short review. Is Inky past his prime?

I listened the album and decided to jot down a few impressions. This was just something I spent 30 minutes putting on JWFan. My rambling thoughts shall return! Mark my words!

He meant the review sessions leak of course! Pages upon pages of unused concepts and alternate parts of the review!

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

He meant the review sessions leak of course! Pages upon pages of unused concepts and alternate parts of the review!

And deleted sentences and cut paragraphs! 

I got this OST for Christmas last year but haven't really listened to anything but a couple tracks (yes, BloodBoal). I've heard the main theme a few times but I've never really liked it much, to be honest. Maybe seeing the film would help...

Can't remember it, so I must not have liked it very much. That's assuming I've even heard it, which I'm not entirely certain of either, although I think I have...

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You can't remember if you've heard a track called Rememberances?

Oh, I just realized what was funny about that. For real. ROTFLMAO

I'm working on a complicated physics paper right now; it takes up all my mental capacity. ;)

It goes beyond Spielberg or Williams.  It gets at something essential in our humanity and I agree with the comment above that everyone, literally everyone, should see it at least once.  I might not technically list it as my favorite Spielberg movie, but it definitely sits on a plane apart from his other movies.

As the great Roger Ebert put it, "The power of Spielberg's film is not that it explains evil, but that it insists that men can be good in the face of it, and that good can prevail."

It's Spielberg's great movie. Though if one really wants to see/hear about the holocaust than Schindlers List is entry level viewing.

Claude Lachmann's 9 hour documentary is authoritative in that regard. Though I watched about 4 hours of it 2 weeks ago and have yet found the courage to return to it. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Claude Lachmann's 9 hour documentary is authoritative in that regard. Though I watched about 4 hours of it 2 weeks ago and have yet found the courage to return to it. 

I bought the Criterion blu-ray box set of Shoah last year and haven't been able to get through all it (emotionally, I mean)

Yes. On the one hand I found it surprisingly "watchable" if you know what I mean. Never boring, and at times actually artistically beautiful. (the juxtaposition between the testimonies of what happened at a camp, or a mass grave in the mid-40's and footage of that same site decades later, pastoral, peaceful...)

The subject matter however is savage, and I doubt anyone can watch it without not feeling some sense of anger, or sadness. I couldnt sleep after I watched the first 4 hours. Parts of it are still working in my mind 2 weeks later. I'll return to it for sure, but not yet...

Schindlers List, despite the horror it portrays is about survival and hope. Shoah is about those who are dead, and how they were murdered.

13 hours ago, Will said:

I've heard the main theme a few times but I've never really liked it much, to be honest. 

It has a bit of a European feel, doesn't it?

Frankly Will, I was never into the OST much when I was a teenager, either.  I blew the dust off it sometime when I was in my early 30s and listened and enjoyed it quite a bit, and we watched the film a year or 2 ago now and it is certainly a very good film.  Seeing the film does help but the music into context.  I look forward to an eventual complete release of the score, but the OST already certainly covers everything important from it and only minor bits and bobs, and one memorable Insert, isn't included there.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Frankly Will, I was never into the OST much when I was a teenager, either.  I blew the dust off it sometime when I was in my early 30s and listened and enjoyed it quite a bit, and we watched the film a year or 2 ago now and it is certainly a very good film.  Seeing the film does help but the music into context.  I look forward to an eventual complete release of the score, but the OST already certainly covers everything important from it and only minor bits and bobs, and one memorable Insert, isn't included there.

And even that insert is not used in full, just one short moment actually.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

History will be on my side regarding the greatness of Trump!

Fixed...

Yes! In the second debate Hillary said she loved Lincoln and then she lost!