Petition: Star Wars Complete Scores

Manakin Skywalker

Okay, yes, before you call me an idiot for making a petition, be aware that I already know that. Anyway, I remember what Shawn Murphy said about complete scores for the prequels, that if there's enough outcry for them, maybe Lucasfilm would consider it. Well, I though, perhaps a petition could help boost that outcry. I see petitions for crap all the time on Facebook, and they seem to be doing well. So, I though, why not? Maybe it could gain some degree of popularity with JW fans, and maybe it would show Lucasfilm that people do in fact want more music. So if you have the time, please consider signing the petition below, and don't forget to spread the word! That is, unless, you hate John Williams. :sarcasm:

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-release-complete-soundtracks-for-star-wars-episodes-2-3

Signed, but with 13 signatures, its chances are abysmal.

There is however a great deal of support for the complete Harry Potter scores in past petitions.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The real question is will I pay for another Star Wars CD boxset one day... The honest answer is: I don't know.

Well, none of the 2CD sets are complete right now, and the sound quality can be improved on all of them as well (especially ESB and ROTJ)

Yes.  Williams originally recorded the end credits one way, then revised the entire opening.  That revised opening is edited into the rest of the end credits in the film itself, the 1977 LP, the 1993 Anthology, and the 1997 2CD set.

If you listen to the 1977 LP, especially the newer Sony remaster from last year, it's really quite obvious that it's an insert.

Empire is missing the revised film ending of 5M3 Yoda’s Entrance (aka Luke's Nocturnal Visitor)

Jedi is missing Lapti Nek, other 1983 source music, Jabba the Hutt concert arrangement, and Ewok Celebration

So there's a mystery alternate opening to the end credits that we've never heard?  An interesting novelty, but it'll just get sequenced out with the alternate Binary Sunset and the seven thousand versions of the opening titles, IMO.  For my money, the Star Wars special edition is "complete."  A sound polish might be nice - if it's something as substantial as, say, Superman Rhino-->FSM, but I'm not in the market for alternates.

Are you sure it's an insert, and not just an alternate take that they liked better/spliced in?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jedi is missing Lapti Nek, Jabba the Hutt concert arrangement, and Ewok Celebration

And a few source music cues from the sail barge, IIRC - although rumored to be lost to the ages.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Are you sure it's an insert, and not just an alternate take that they liked better/spliced in?

100% certain.  The sheet music confirms it.  Also, if you look at the recording log inside the 1997 2CD set booklet, you can see they recorded the original version of the End Credits on March 12th, and then the revised opening was the last thing recorded on March 16th

I'll sign the petition later -- it's a fun idea! -- but just so you know:

It's believed that Sony CAN'T release anything new. Disney probably owns the recording sessions now, and surely they'd never let Sony release anything extra -- they'd rather wait till their own label takes over the releasing rights to the first six scores. 

This is all stuff Jay has said in the past. It's largely speculation, but I think it's got merit.

Sony has the exclusive license to release retail CDs of the original six scores, until it runs out (which is assumed to be in 2019)

Fox owns the recordings of the first film's score, and Lucasfilm (so Disney) owns the others

Dear Sony,

Please put the new tracks on Spotify, cause we absolutely don't care about the rest. We'll listen to them once and then forget them, because we'll discover that it's shit.

Thanks!

Bespin

11 minutes ago, Will said:

It's believed that Sony CAN'T release anything new. Disney probably owns the recording sessions now, and surely they'd never let Sony release anything extra -- they'd rather wait till their own label takes over the releasing rights to the first six scores. 

Aside from the rights issue, it's mostly a matter of money and agreements to be made. Restoring the elements and rebuilding all six scores from the ground to produce brand new masters is an expensive venture. Of course there's still money to be made by Lucasfilm and whoever has the license for releasing Star Wars music, so there's hope we'll get something in the future.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I expect complete releases of all 9 films in 2019

Sounds extremely optimistic. Unless Disney has already started working on the releases now (putting the scores together, mastering, preparing the artwork, eventual liner noters, etc.) and is just waiting for Sony's license to run out, I doubt they'll release the complete scores in 2019 (assuming this is the year Sony's license runs out). I think we should expect a release at least two or three years after that (maybe for the release of Episode X?).

And then there's the question of how they'd release all that (if they do release the complete scores for all 9 episodes): each score released separately? Trilogies box set? One big set for the whole saga? Depending on that, they may not be all released at the same time.

It all depends on the producer they hire to oversee the product.  If they hire Mike Matessino, things will be fine.

Yeah I'd like a sound upgrade for the OT but I definitely don't need any more music from them. 

The alt end credits would be interesting but I can live without Lapti Nek and stuff.

It's more about presenting Williams' music in optimum sound quality in the correct order without leaving anything out.

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Didn't even notice Manikin was aiming for 100 signatures. I'm sorry to say, Manikin, but this is complete nonsense! Expecting complete scores to be released because 100 people signed a petition... This is not optimism, this is madness!

Ha I didn't set it to 100, the website reverted it to 100 for some reason and I can't change it.

We got Duel of the Fates (Dialogue Version), 4 covers for Attack of the Clones and a DVD with the Revenge of the Sith OST. What more could you possibly want? You poor guys. Always confusing your Prequel complete scores with your privates.

13 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Would Sony not want to make use of their license while they've still got it?

Or am I also being too optimistic?

In all fairness, they sort of did a good job with the last release of the OT OSTs. However, they didn't make them available on CD, so it's like what the fuck.