John Williams Film Night at Tanglewood, August 19th 2017

TownerFan

51 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Also, the piece he was writing last summer for " one of his favorite European musicians" will me premiered this summer. "Markings", for solo violin, strings, and harp- for Anne Sophie Mutter.

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85537

:lovethis:

Wow! She finally persuaded JW to write a piece for her! Wonderful choice of instrumentation as well... very curious to hear it!

Williams' concert piece titles have become much shorter and enigmatic and less poetic over the years. What will he think of next? Jottings?:P

But fantastic to hear that there is going to be such a piece coming up in 2017! By its placement at the start of the concert you could surmise that it will be a relatively short piece.

It's likely it'll be a 10-15 mins piece (considering also Mutter will perform a powerhouse piece like the C'ajkovskij concerto after that), probably in line with Williams' "ruminative" rhapsodic pieces such as Heartwood or Treesong. It seems like that concert music has become for JW a necessary departure from his film output also in sheer of scale and resources, not just in terms of idiom and style. I like the chamber-like instrumentation he picked, I'm sure it's gonna be interesting.

24 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It's likely it'll be a 10-15 mins piece (considering also Mutter will perform a powerhouse piece like the C'ajkovskij concerto after that), probably in line with Williams' "ruminative" rhapsodic pieces such as Heartwood or Treesong. It seems like that concert music has become for JW a necessary departure from his film output also in sheer of scale and resources, not just in terms of idiom and style. I like the chamber-like instrumentation he picked, I'm sure it's gonna be interesting.

If it is in the same idiom as Heartwood and Treesong I am a happy camper! :) 

This is so disappointing. As typical, I will likely be in New England for a month next summer -- and as always, I will leave right before Film Night. :(:(

I've always wanted to see JW conduct. I'll probably be in New England for Parade, but last time my mom wouldn't take me because the drive would be late at night and along lots of dark country roads, and he was only conducting a couple pieces. I'll try asking again but I'm guessing it will be a no. 

Hopefully JW will come to Chicago soon... He used to come so often, so I'm holding out hope. Although, if the kind of luck I've had holds true, he'll probably schedule it for while I'm in New England. 

As a side note, funnily enough, I was just checking yesterday afternoon to see if the schedule had been released. It hadn't, of course. 

I'll definitely be doing this film night with Andris Nelsons conducting as well. Nice to have the more "serious" BSO music director performing film music and giving it the credit it's due.

For those staying the weekend, I'd highly recommend the Sunday concert as well with Strauss' Alpine Symphony, quite cinematic on its own.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No date for Boston yet?

This year's were't announced until February 19 (for mid-May concerts). So it could be a while. 

It just occurred me that the instrumentation setting of this new piece is somehow quite similar to Bernstein's Serenade After Plato's Symposium, which is a brilliant piece of music. I wonder if JW will explore similar landscapes.

(Fyi, Anne-Sophie Mutter is the soloist in this recording)

On 11/18/2016 at 9:33 PM, Stefancos said:

I might be, depending on Boston film night dates.

Likely won't be there, but surely wish I could......

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Tanglewood is great. It's also quite hard to get to. And apart from the concert there really isnt much to do in Lenox.

I guess that for anyone who loves to walk through the woods that won't be much of a problem...

And if you can drive to Stockbridge or Pittsfield there seem to be some nice and interesting places to visit, namely the Norman Rockwell museum.

I've never been to Lenox itself, but within a 50 minute drive there's North Adams and Williamstown. The former has a great modern art museum (MassMOCA). Plus there's Pittsfield, even closer. Can't remember what I did there though, it was so long ago. 

There's tons of great stuff in the area. 

EDIT: Oh, in Williamstown (I think) there's another art museum, but more interestingly IMO some nice hiking trails there too. 

If you like visual art or hiking there's plenty. I'm not a huge fan of either, but they can definitely be enjoyable. 

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

We seem to find something new to do each time we go out there.  Last time we went to The Mount (Edith Warton's Home) which was really nice

http://www.edithwharton.org/

Ooh I'd love to go there.  She was one of my favorite authors I discovered as a teenager (thanks to Scorsese of course). Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, Ethan Frome.  All fantastic novels.

On 18.11.2016 at 10:14 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Also, the piece he was writing last summer for " one of his favorite European musicians" will me premiered this summer. "Markings", for solo violin, strings, and harp- for Anne Sophie Mutter.

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85537

This should get its own thread. As I don't follow this thread, I only discovered it through the news bit on the front page just now.

Excited to hear a new concert piece! (well, hopefully...it needs to be recorded first).

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Tanglewood is great. It's also quite hard to get to. And apart from the concert there really isnt much to do in Lenox.

Hypothetical question: If one were to fly to the US for that, and one did not drive regularly enough to feel comfortable leasing a foreign car in a foreign country, how would one get about in the area, to the concert and for some sight seeing?

• 1 month later...
williams-345x290.jpg

John Williams' Film Night

Tanglewood

Koussevitzky Music Shed - Lenox, MA - View Map

John Williams' Film Night has long been established as one of the Tanglewood calendar's most consistently popular evenings. Sharing the podium this summer for what surely will be an historic concert is BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons. The program will feature classic cinema scores by Erich Korngold, Bernard Herrmann, and Alex North, as well as music by Mr. Williams himself, including selections from the Harry Potter series, E.T., and Far and Away. Also on the program will be music from Mr. Williams' score to Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, with a special guest trumpet soloist.

Tickets go on sale January 29 10am

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85534

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Maryland, but I regularly drive down to VA for the superb wine. 

Mmmmmm.  I'm a member of the wine club for a Charlottesville vineyard and expecting a new shipment of wine next week.  Yummy.