John Williams Film Night at Tanglewood, August 19th 2017

TownerFan

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I was just in Charlottesville a couple weeks ago. Which winery? I joined Grace Estate, also have a membership at Philip Carter in Hume.

Blenheim.  I love that winery because they're wine is so good but also reasonably priced.

• 4 months later...

Confirmation that Film Night will be aired live on WCRB: 

http://classicalwcrb.org/programs/upcoming-bso-broadcasts?page=4&ajax=1

"Tanglewood on Parade" does not seem to be listed, however -- I guess we'll see on that one. 

ToP is sometimes streamed through another stations, even if the recording is produced by WCRB. For whatever reason I think the on-demand audio is only made available through BSO's media center, when available at all.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

ToP is sometimes streamed through another stations, even if the recording is produced by WCRB. For whatever reason I think the on-demand audio is only made available through BSO's media center, when available at all.

Yep I recall finding stuff there. 

• 1 month later...
On November 18, 2016 at 2:57 AM, TownerFan said:

Plus, he will be part of the roster at the 'Tanglewood on Parade' concert on Aug 1, 2017 conducting excerpts from Jaws, Jurassic Park and Minority Report:

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85472

So did this happen? Can't find any reports on this.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It hasn't really been covered much:

The emotional highlight of the event was the appearance of the venerable John Williams. Before a note was sounded there was a standing ovation for the beloved composer and conductor.

The vast audience was massively enchanted by the excerpt of Williams film scores. His annual Film Night is another longstanding Tanglewood highlight.

https://www.berkshirefinearts.com/08-02-2017_tanglewood-on-parade.htm

74341_2017-08-02_142106.jpg

20 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It did!  JW conducted Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, A New Beginning and Throne Room and Finale.  The pre-concert national anthem performance was also one of JW's arrangements though he didn't conduct that.

I'll be going this Saturday. Will I see any of you there? I might have an extra ticket for sale if needed.

BSO released the program online in PDF form, but the first page is missing. We know that in the second half, there will be:

JOHN WILLIAMS conducting

WILLIAMS The Adventures of Mutt from “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”

WILLIAMS Excerpts from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”

WILLIAMS Parade of the Slave Children from “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”

WILLIAMS Suite from “Far and Away”

WILLIAMS With Malice Toward None from “Lincoln”

WILLIAMS Three Selections from “Harry Potter”

The Chamber of Secrets

Fawkes the Phoenix

Harry’s Wondrous World

Wow! That's a refreshing mix of pieces. Very little overlap with other concerts in the last few years. Nothing from TFA -- probably saving himself for his newer suite from TLJ (or he's sick of telling anecdotes about Daisy).

Adventures of Mutt though? Ugh. But The Chamber of Secrets, Fawkes the Phoenix and Parade Of The Slave Children? Awesome!! Can't remember the last concert where he performed anything from COS or TOD.

Guessing E.T. and Imperial March as encores.

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Adventures of Mutt though? Ugh.

Am I literally the only person who loves "Adventures of Mutt" without reservations?  Feels kinda lonely, but I stand firm in my correct opinion!

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I literally the only person who loves "Adventures of Mutt" without reservations?  Feels kinda lonely, but I stand firm in my correct opinion!

Nope. I love it too. :)

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like it just fine, but I've heard it performed live many times already

I never have!  But of course I live in a place where the frequency of Williams focused concerts is far under where you live.

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Nope. I love it too. :)

Brother!

Not only have I seen Mutt performed live at least 3-4 times at normal Film Night concerts, it was also the return from intermission piece at Raiders: Live to Projection.  I've heard it live a lot!

Best part from the MassLive article Miguel linked to (http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/08/john_williams_teases_indiana_j.html):

Williams, who had revealed at Film Night 2016 that he would be scoring "Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi," told the Tanglewood crowd on Saturday that George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford are plotting a fifth installment in the "Indiana Jones" franchise for 2020.

The 85-year-old composer said he was hopeful he would be on hand to write the score, a remark that drew cheers from the throng of 18,000 that packed the Koussevitzky Music Shed and filled the Lenox lawn.

I think that's our first confirmation from Williams himself that he wants to do it! So I think we can assume he will if he stays healthy (and the film gets made, of course). :woop:

He'll be scoring the film at 88 if, as you say, it actually happens. Personally I'm doubtful; strikes me as another Spielberg thought-bubble.

Being delayed until 2020 was a sign they really don't know what film to make; they've already had nearly a decade to think up another story since KOTCS!

I'd rather have confirmation about Episode 9 than Indiana Jones.  It's highly likely he's intending to finish the trilogy and it would be a shame if he didn't but you never know.  I remember some doubt about him working on TLJ since there weren't any formal announcements from Disney about Williams continued involvement. 

And what about 2018?  Now that RPO is out of the picture, do we have nothing to look forward to from Williams next year?

56 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He'll be scoring the film at 88 if, as you say, it actually happens. Personally I'm doubtful; strikes me as another Spielberg thought-bubble.

Being delayed until 2020 was a sign they really don't know what film to make; they've already had nearly a decade to think up another story since KOTCS!

And, depending on when they film, Harrison Ford will be somewhat close to 80 if they still want him involved.

4 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I'd rather have confirmation about Episode 9 than Indiana Jones.  It's highly likely he's intending to finish the trilogy and it would be a shame if he didn't but you never know.  I remember some doubt about him working on TLJ since there weren't any formal announcements from Disney about Williams continued involvement. 

There was never any real evidence that he was not going to do 8--just overly anxious people seeking an "official" announcement.  9 is his if he is willing and able, and it is a safe bet he will be willing. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

There was never any real evidence that he was not going to do 8--just overly anxious people seeking an "official" announcement.  9 is his if he is willing and able, and it is a safe bet he will be willing. 

True but we had supposed evidence that Williams was going to do RPO (and possibly already working it) and then suddenly he wasn't.  Even announcements aren't trustworthy anymore because things can change at a moments notice.

Another review from the Bekshire Fine Arts:

http://www.berkshirefinearts.com/08-20-2017_film-night-at-tanglewood.htm

Can anyone confirm if this is the full concert program?

Andris Nelsons conducting

• March from The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)
  • Scene d’Amour from Vertigo (Herrmann)
  • Forest Meeting/Love Theme and March from Spartacus (North)
  • Adventures on Earth from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  • The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin
  • End Titles from Dracula

INTERMISSION

John Williams conducting

• The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Parade of the Slave Children from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • Suite from Far and Away
  • From Malice Towards None from Lincoln
  • Three Selections from Harry Potter:
    The Chamber of Secrets
    Fawkes the Phoenix
    Harry’s Wondrous World

ENCORES

• March from 1941
  • Theme from Schindler’s List
  • Star Wars Main Title

Refreshing encores! No Imperial March or Theme from E.T.!

Would be nice if he'd perform The Lost World or Artificial Intelligence once in a while. Why does he hate these scores!? :(

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Refreshing encores! No Imperial March or Theme from E.T.!

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The final encore was The Imperial March. Also, Adventures on Earth was the final piece of the first half.

:lol:

20 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

At the BBC Proms Keith Lockhart essentially confirmed John's already prepping for Episode IX. From most accounts, it seems it was either scoring TFA only, or finishing the entire trilogy. Once he signed on for TLJ his decision was made; he wants to see this through to the end.

It's also not a stretch to think that part of the reason JW passed on RPO was to save himself for the task of writing a final Star Wars film in mid-2018. These are exhausting scores to write for a man in his mid-80's.

I'm sad I wasn't able to attend this year (Parade of the Slave Children conducted by Williams!), but look forward to listening to a recording, and attending next year. 

On 8/21/2017 at 10:30 AM, crumbs said:

Johnny looks reasonably sprightly as conductor.

I've got an exclusive, in-front-of-the-podium video of Williams conducting at Tanglewood the other night

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_n19e45ckbj1rjm72e.gif