Most Underrated Score Moments

Cantus Venti

I'm really curious to hear some of your opinions on "What the most underrated score moments in movie scenes" are. 

Feel free to get technical and specific if you want. Or, just casually post something, a simple example is whatever works best for you.

Some references for the term "underrated" might include:

• "How has no one ever commented on the genius of this musical moment?! I think it nails the interpretation of this scene."
  • "So subtle yet profound. This choice in music was very appropriate. It really delivered to the subconscious its intended effect."
  • "Just these few details... Never would've even thought of composing that!" or,
  • "This idea really made this scene unique and special. Really made it what it is."

What are the most underrated score moments of scenes for you? Even down to the faintest details of delivery, or something broad spanning across an entire movie.

The Alexander Courage Star Trek fanfare in Star Trek V after Kirk says, "If we are, then life is a dream" and you see the plaque. Everyone hates Star Trek V except Drax and I, but it's an incredibly bone-chilling moment not only in the score, but in the film.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Do we really consider that moment in Trek V to be underrated? I mean, even people who hate that film probably agree that this moment is one of the highlights.

Jerry Goldsmith quoting Sandy Courage man! It's the greatest moment in film history!

I can think of lots of scores I feel are underrated but moments are harder to think of, I'll have to give it some thought

I'm struggling with this topic because whenever ideas come up, the reality is I'm thinking - "this works beautifully together, visually and with sound", but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is being underated by anyone at all. Infact, plenty of people probably think that moment is fantastic also but maybe didn't overly mention it within discussion. Not long ago I brought up those 12 seconds or so in the later scenes of Rambo II, when he arrives back at base and is seriously wired for payback against his 'controllers'. Electric!

0:36 - 0:48

On 11/20/2016 at 5:22 PM, Cantus Venti said:

Some references for the term "underrated" might include:

• "How has no one ever commented on the genius of this musical moment?! I think it nails the interpretation of this scene."
  • "So subtle yet profound. This choice in music was very appropriate. It really delivered to the subconscious its intended effect."
  • "Just these few details... Never would've even thought of composing that!" or,
  • "This idea really made this scene unique and special. Really made it what it is."

Underrated as per this thread, I simply used to refer to things which don't ever get commented on or noticed, excellent music but which hasn't (as far as you know) received any discussion. So this thread really is not too complicated, I want to simply focus on sharing new examples. 

It doesn't have to be too underrated. Let's just keep it interesting! ;)

This following example might not be as interesting though, it's more of an example of what I'm looking for: It includes one of my favorite little moments I never hear being discussed by people, the kind of sound and emotion I prefer to focus on in scores. I always thought the 2nd shift to the post-melody of E.T.'s main theme, that passionate chord Williams reached at the height of a rich lydian melody, with Elliot's eyes glazed over in realization, was underrated (or not noticed or discussed by people.) It gives off such a hopeful emotion and to me, this harmonic movement to low brass is the epitome of the "Adventure" sound:

While 0:52 is where the 1st shift begins, pretty average, that 2nd shift at 1:02 I find to be incredibly thoughtful and wonderful. Williams sure knows what keys aught to follow. I hope he was thinking of Herrmann when he wrote that part.

Also, maybe this not the perfect example of "underrated," but I give you all the room now. So please, one-up me!

It's definitely underrated because it's from the 20th Anniversary edition!

I think my favorite moment is when Spielberg cuts to the helicopter shot of the tree as they're looking down. Ever since I was a kid, I would go up to the TV screen and pivot to the right with that shot like I was on a motion simulator.

Drink it all in. Movie scenes don't come any more iconic than that.

I like Williams piece for Arts and Entertainment from The Unfinished Journey.  He takes his original theme but sets it to Copland's Hoe Down.  What a perfect way to give recognition to Copland by musically recalling him in the section devoted to America's contribution to A and E. 

The action music in the first Jurassic Park.  Everybody always talks about the March and the hymn but the action music is some of Williams' very best.  It plays an integral role in selling the film's frenzied terror.  

The scene where Ellie runs through the jungle to avoid unseen raptors is the best example of this. Williams' screeching violin/woodwind runs give the otherwise tame sense a real sense of urgency and dread.

4 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The action music in the first Jurassic Park.  Everybody always talks about the March and the hymn but the action music is some of Williams' very best.  It plays an integral role in selling the film's frenzied terror.  

The scene where Ellie runs through the jungle to avoid unseen raptors is the best example of this. Williams' screeching violin/woodwind runs give the otherwise tame sense a real sense of urgency and dread.

YES!

I would doubt that it's underrated among film music buffs, but the scene in Chinatown where Jake Gittes is spying on Hollis Mulwray.  General film audiences (and likely most film critics) have no idea how brilliant the cue is.

• 2 weeks later...

So much of the LOTR music(especially ROTK) is on such a phenomenally grand scale that it makes it all the more impactful when Shore steps back and scores the "smaller" human elements, and I think this scene is the perfect example of that.

For ROTS I've always had the impression that Williams wrote his score to what the film (and by extension, the prequels) should have been, and the result is breathtaking.  Even if the film wasn't executed well enough for the music to have the impact it deserves, the end of "It Can't Be"/"Anakin's Dark Deeds" is probably my favorite musical moment from John Williams' entire career.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The most popular scores in the history of film music are underrated? You all lost me again!

Within the context of those scores, though, the cues I picked don't get mentioned much.