Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just a theory, but re-watching this scene there's about 20 seconds of "orchestral punctuations" for each impact tremor that were cut down or microedited from The Coming Storm combo track. Maybe this has been restored to its original film presentation (I'm assuming they recorded this as it appears in the film) with the long pauses between each impact tremor?

And yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there's another 5 seconds at the start of The Falling Car and the end of T-Rex Chase as well, which are both cross-faded into other cues on the existing previous releases. I haven't seen the sheet music though so you definitely have a better idea than I do! My money is on T-Rex Chase having a longer ending, because the OST already contains about 10 seconds of music from The Falling Car that was dialled out in the film.

Right on , Crumbs. I think Williams & Shawn Murphy probably stitched the two cues on the 20th Anniversary as an easy listening experience. But I really wanted to hear 'T-Rex Chase' cue track as it appeared in the film. So I'am hoping too that MIke Mattessiono did absolutely the right thing to fix the cue in this chronological sequence and with the correct tremor punctuations, pauses, silence and the more prominent sounding brass note when Ian says '' Iam fairly Alarmed here"

Ooh I cant wait..!

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm always happy to do an interview about these big releases, but I don't know of if there's even anything to dig into with this one... I guess it depends on how detailed the booklet is, which I haven't seen yet. 

Just to echo @azahid, I'd also love to read an interview with Matessino about the set, if you ever had the time or opportunity @Jay! I re-read your interview about A.I. just last night and the insight is brilliant.

It's always fascinating to hear how these expansions eventuate, whether LLL approached the Williams/Spielberg camp or if they approached MM after the runaway success of Jurassic World. Whether JW made any requests regarding track order or resisted presenting these scores chronologically, given his diverse OST tracks (I'm thinking CD3 starting with The Lost World was a Williams request). I wonder if there was any unknown music found in the session tapes that surprised MM (The Saboteur?), and how on earth they got Universal's approval to handle such iconic scores on an independent label, especially so soon after they expanded JP themselves.

Even the really technical stuff is interesting in these old analogue scores, like how they found the session tapes or what condition they were in (this will be fascinating in the eventual Star Wars remasters, given the tapes are 40 years old and "lost" in the salt mines).

From memory Williams had a few different orchestrators on Jurassic Park, and Artie Kane conducted a few cues due to his back issues. Hopefully the liner notes cover those fun little factoids. :)

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just to echo @azahid, I'd also love to read an interview with Matessino about the set, if you ever had the time or opportunity @Jay! I re-read your interview about A.I. just last night and the insight is brilliant.

It's always fascinating to hear how these expansions eventuate, whether LLL approached the Williams/Spielberg camp or if they approached MM after the runaway success of Jurassic World. Whether JW made any requests regarding track order or resisted presenting these scores chronologically, given his diverse OST tracks (I'm thinking CD3 starting with The Lost World was a Williams request). I wonder if there was any unknown music found in the session tapes that surprised MM (The Saboteur?), and how on earth they got Universal's approval to handle such iconic music on an independent label (especially so soon after they expanded the first score themselves).

Even the really technical stuff is interesting in these old analogue scores, like how they found the session tapes or what condition they were in (this will be fascinating in the eventual Star Wars remasters, given the tapes are 40 years old and "lost" in the salt mines).

From memory Williams had a few different orchestrators on Jurassic Park, and Artie Kane conducted a few cues due to his back issues. Hopefully the liner notes cover those fun little factoids. :)

I feel the same way here. Insights on making this future well loved box set deserves it. I agree the past relationship that LLL has forged with John Williams/Spielberg and of course Mike Mattessino has certainly paved the way for Universal. An extra support from Williams and Spielberg must have driven through the barriers of Universal to secure such a terrific franchise material.

I'am also fairly certain that LLL will eventually continue into this relationship to unearth more projects (Williams and non Williams)..starting with JURASSIC PARK III and JURASSIC WORLD as a part of securing this deal)

15 minutes ago, azahid said:

Right on , Crumbs. I think Williams & Shawn Murphy probably stitched the two cues on the 20th Anniversary as an easy listening experience. But I really wanted to hear 'T-Rex Chase' cue track as it appeared in the film. So I'am hoping too that MIke Mattessiono did absolutely the right thing to fix the cue in this chronological sequence and with the correct tremor punctuations, pauses, silence and the more prominent sounding brass note when Ian says '' Iam fairly Alarmed here"

Ooh I cant wait..!

I listened to The Coming Storm again last night and compared it against the movie -- I'm pretty certain the first three notes of the carnivore motif are simply dialled out in the film in favour of silence for Malcolm's line, leaving only the brassy fourth note of the motif in the final film.

The 20th Anniversary set restored the complete appearance of the carnivore motif but simultaneously microedited most of the tremor punctuations preceding it, is my guess.

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

If thousands of people can have rallies against certain Presidents being elected, I am sure our numbers could rally to release the scores if something as SCANDALOUS as that happened.

Right guys?!

2 million expect to protest tonight in South Korea, but it just started snowing^ 

23 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Another dust collector.

I thought you were a big fan of monster movies? How surprising that you're not arsed about the greatest monster movie scores ever written.  

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I thought you were a big fan of monster movies? How surprising that you're not arsed about the greatest monster movie scores ever written.  

I guess the OSTs are more than enough for Drax.

Been waiting for this for 23 years... I admit I shed a tear when I read about this. 

Hopefully this makes a complete release of ET and CE3K more likely :) 

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Doubt any of those will happen soon. Labels generally expand "old" films scores (by "old", I mean at least 10 years old, if not more). What was the most recent film score a label ever expanded? The most recents I can think of are scores from the beginning of the 2000's.

TFA is the most likely I guess, depending on how Disney will deal with SW music releases.

LLL won't get to touch Star Wars I don't think, but it's probable Matessino will be nominated by Williams to oversee any Disney commissioned restorations of the OT/PT scores.

It's ironic that TFA is the most likely score in the series to be expanded in the next year or so, given how new it is. It's entirely owned by Lucasfilm under Disney, so there's no issues with music rights or licences, barring whatever Fox's ownership of the Force Theme is (given they own the original score for perpetuity).

But I predict we'll see TFA expanded long before we see OT restorations or PT special editions, if only because the Sony contract likely has ~3 years to run.

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Stalling Around is the Mr. DNA cue.

It's a reference to Carl Stalling, composer for a lot of animated stuff like Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, etc. Basically mickey-mousing music, which is exactly the kind of music heard in that cue.

Aaaaah!!! That explains it!!!

Thanks very much, Blood! :)

It might be mickey mouse music, but it's bloody brilliant.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Exactly. I don't think anyone working in this industry attaches themselves exclusively to a specific label. It's niche work and there's too many freelance opportunities with various studios to pigeonhole your career at a single label.

Matessino did Jaws and Jaws 2 with Intrada just 12 months ago, six months after doing A.I. with La La Land.

Man it has been an awesome couple of years in terms of JW releases when you stop to think about it. And the future looks promising too. :)

15 minutes ago, phbart said:

No!!!

Admittedly I'm not an expert on either score, but what exactly is missing from the existing releases of both scores that is so significant?

I admit E.T. deserves a proper release with all the various soundtrack cues Williams recorded that weren't on that 2002 set (plus the recent theme park music) but it pales in comparison to four Indiana Jones films, three of which have a bounty of unreleased music and alternates, one that's never been expanded properly due to microedits and tape speed mistakes, and another that's never been expanded beyond the OST (recording session leaks be damned).

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's ironic that TFA is the most likely score in the series to be expanded in the next year or so, given how new it is. It's entirely owned by Lucasfilm under Disney, so there's no issues with music rights or licences, barring whatever Fox's ownership of the Force Theme is (given they own the original score for perpetuity).

FOx owns "star wars" score?

1st time i heard it.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Admittedly I'm not an expert on either score, but what exactly is missing from the existing releases of both scores that is so significant?

I admit E.T. deserves a proper release with all the various soundtrack cues Williams recorded that weren't on that 2002 set (plus the recent theme park music) but it pales in comparison to four Indiana Jones films, three of which have a bounty of unreleased music and alternates, one that's never been expanded properly due to microedits and tape speed mistakes, and another that's never been expanded beyond the OST (recording session leaks be damned).

Well, both were indeed "suitable" for the time they were expanded (1st E.T. in 1996, CE3K in 1998 and 2nd E.T. 2002). But as you can see, we're talking about a 20 years period in the case of the first expanded E.T.. All have terrific sound quality (especially CE3K, which I honestly don't see it can sound any better), but the standards of how the music is presented to us by the specialty labels has changed a lot in recent years. Changed for much better, that is. So, in this line of thinking, both E.T. and CE3K have a lot to catch up.

27 minutes ago, phbart said:

Well, both were indeed "suitable" for the time they were expanded (1st E.T. in 1996, CE3K in 1998 and 2nd E.T. 2002). But as you can see, we're talking about a 20 years period in the case of the first expanded E.T.. All have terrific sound quality (especially CE3K, which I honestly don't see it can sound any better), but the standards of how the music is presented to us by the specialty labels has changed a lot in recent years. Changed for much better, that is. So, in this line of thinking, both E.T. and CE3K have a lot to catch up.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see all Williams/Spielberg scores from the 70s and 80s to have proper restorations and re-releases, the modern technology for restoring session masters is simply too good to pass up in comparison to what was possible in the late 90s.

I just reckon the Indiana Jones series is too good to pass up from a marketing perspective, with a fifth film on the horizon. It'll take well over a year to remaster four scores, of which three were analogue recordings. Neither E.T. nor CE3K will require the resources and time that IJ will.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Aaaaah!!! That explains it!!!

Thanks very much, Blood! :)

It might be mickey mouse music, but it's bloody brilliant.

Did you seriously not know that the cue was released in 2013 on the 20th Anniversary Edition of the score?

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's always fascinating to hear how these expansions eventuate, whether LLL approached the Williams/Spielberg camp or if they approached MM after the runaway success of Jurassic World. Whether JW made any requests regarding track order or resisted presenting these scores chronologically, given his diverse OST tracks (I'm thinking CD3 starting with The Lost World was a Williams request). I wonder if there was any unknown music found in the session tapes that surprised MM (The Saboteur?), and how on earth they got Universal's approval to handle such iconic scores on an independent label, especially so soon after they expanded JP themselves.

Yes! I'd love to hear how this release came about, and how much involvement JW himself had in choosing the organization of tracks, etc. 

What about the unused JP track "hungry Raptor" that's on the 20th anniverasry release..I don;t see it here

Never mind it's placed within the score I see

3 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

I wonder will the liner notes give any insight into why that 1 minute was cut from Rescuing Sarah, one of the most baffling microedits on a JW OST.

Certainly a baffling edit but JW has been doing those throughout his career. Presumably he felt the track was too long or repetitive in complete form? But it's a head scratcher up there with trimming the fanfare at the end of Anakin's Dark Deeds.

Personally I hope the liner notes explain what on earth happened to Lost World in post. Why the score was butchered and why they never recorded new music instead of tracking the main theme everywhere. 

Regarding the burbling woodwinds at the start of The T-Rex Chase - the 20th anniversary presentation of that cue is consistent with the sheet music, other than the missing (unrecorded?) chord at the end. The film version, with all its longer silences, does not match the sheet music.

Sorry, KM. But it's worth it, right?

As for the presentation of the score in TLW film, it certainly doesn't ruin it for me. It's my favorite one. Actually, there's a moment where they trek through the forest (it's clearly not a jungle) and "Malcolm's Journey" is tracked when they hear the sound of a dinosaur in the distance and all the guys turn with their guns as Roland motions them to keep going, and it's a completely badass moment.

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

As for the presentation of the score in TLW film, it certainly doesn't ruin it for me. It's my favorite one. Actually, there's a moment where they trek through the forest (it's clearly not a jungle) and "Malcolm's Journey" is tracked when they hear the sound of a dinosaur in the distance and all the guys turn with their guns as Roland motions them to keep going, and it's a completely badass moment.

Yes, there are moments when tracked music works. Even in TPM, or even in ESB. But usually I prefer the music as-intended, especially in the case of complete scores. Unless the as-intended music is so utterly bad/boring that the tracked stuff works better. Unsure if I remember the intended music for that particular scene....

1 hour ago, king mark said:

crap canadian dollar exchange is no  good This is gonna cost me about 100$

It's that bad right now? Wow. The USD is working pretty good for me... buying a few things from Japan at the moment means I get a break for a change. It has been terrible for years now.

$80 for me in oz, then another 20-30 shipping. I'll definitely pick it up, but god the exchange rate is hurting my wallet. It's a good thing I'd rather have good music than fine dine or have acceptable clothes.

20 hours ago, Moto Gizmo said:

Been waiting for this for 23 years... I admit I shed a tear when I read about this. 

Hopefully this makes a complete release of ET and CE3K more likely :) 

It could make a release of ET more likely since they're both Universal, but I dunno what connection it would have to CE3K, being Sony.  Other than JW generally being more aware of his older scores being so beloved by fans that labels can see 5,000 copies of new editions at $30 a pop.