Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

6 hours ago, hornist said:

The Lost World is among the tree worst scores by Johnny. The others are Indy4 and Dracula. Terrible jungle noise.

I cant believe I spent my money again for this. JP is still among the top 100.

Are you crazy?!

Dracula's an awesome behemoth of a score. Surprised to hear hornist's not a fan, considering it's so lush and lyrical. I mean, the only thing I could say against is that it's slightly derivative of some of Walton's later concert works. I'm thinking of his Second Symphony.

5 hours ago, Sharky said:

Dracula's an awesome behemoth of a score. Surprised to hear hornist's not a fan, considering it's so lush and lyrical. I mean, the only thing I could say against is that it's slightly derivative of some of Walton's later concert works. I'm thinking of his Second Symphony.

There should be more scores derivative of later Walton!

Just came from the IMAX theater, where JP 3D was screened for the 25th anniversary. What an experience! Even with this perfect LLL edition, hearing JW "film version" score playing on that huge theater, even though sometimes drowned by SFX, still sent shivers dowm my spine. It was fucking awesome, to say the least.

You think if it wasn't for Schindler's List, JW still would have nailed the Oscar that year for JP?

I'm still extremely on the fence. If it's still available at one of the sites (Musicboy, Soundtrackcorner or Facethemusic) when I finish my 6 weeks of work and can actually recieve it (and will have something to pay it from), I'll buy it.

This set is unmissable, both Williams' scores presented in full in one collector's set. When this came out I spent my last dollars on it, that's how much it meant to me - more than food!

Why would they reissue it separately? It doesn't make sense, even if it is a conjoined set, you can still choose to listen to JP. 

There was tons from The Lost World, though.  Haven't you heard?  It's one of Williams' best, coolest scores.  Anyone who says otherwise should be ignored for having bad opinions.

The Jurassic Park Collection is one of the great Williams releases ever and anyone who calls themselves a fan of his work should own it if they can afford it.

Now stop whining like a baby

Listened to LLL's JP score twice this week.

After careful consideration, I've decided to endorse TLW as the superior score.

JP's brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it's a bizarre listen in complete, chronological form. Also a sign of a superbly well spotted movie, with very little wastage of notes. Clearly, in hindsight, they actually recorded more music than the film required (and it's a relatively short score as it is!)

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

JP's brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it's a bizarre listen in complete, chronological form.

I agree. But that's not really a fair criteria.

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

But that's not really a fair criteria.

It's just an observation. TLW works fantastically in C&C form, like a descent into hell and back again. JP is the much tighter score, however. But the big leaps in story progression are really distracting when listened chronologically (notably Dennis Steals the Embryo into Race to the Dock into The Falling Car). TLW feels scored almost wall-to-wall by comparison, so the storytelling of JW's music has an undeniable flow that JP occasionally lacks.

The JP > TLW situation reminds me a lot of the transformation JW's writing underwent from SW > ESB.

Both are more towards "would be really nice to have" than "need to have" for me, that's why I'm so on the fence. I think both are great, but I don't have any emotional attachment to either the scores or the movies. If I miss it, I won't lose any sleep over it in the foreseeable future, which would not be the case with Potter, Indiana Jones or Star Wars, of course, neither would it have been with E.T. or Jaws. Some of you guys could possibly sell off the collection in the future like Trent and I'll get in on it then :P