Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

Yeah I just checked out The Raptors Appear and it correctly ends before the final measures of the concert piece. Somehow, this person has the film stems.

And it's great to finally have the film version of Ripples! This should've been on the set.

Looks like it was the film stems after all. The entire account appears to have been terminated, the video is gone!

Did anyone save it?

Very suspicious of the timing, the account banned less than 12 hours after being posted on JWFan...

There's a multitude of videos on YouTube featuring tracks from LLL's TLW and JP releases; what made this account such an instant target unless it was indeed sourced from the film stems? And why be so protective of the film stems when we essentially have the complete scores available through LLL??

This raises a hell of a lot of questions!

3 minutes ago, Fal said:

Youtube is owned by Google though right?

They are, but they don't run the automated software that checks for copyrighted material on private Google Drive accounts nor is there any infrastructure whatsoever for anyone to report such things.

I'm not saying keep all your files there with no other backup, just that the hosted videos we embed here are very unlikely to ever be taken down by anyone except the user themselves.

My theory as well.

If true, poor form from whoever reported the account, just to maintain currency of some bootleg film stem they possess -- for a score that's already received the MM treatment, no less. 

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Finally I can kind of put my finger on what my biggest peeve with Jurassic Park is - it "blows its load" very, very early - in the 5th track out of 28 movie score tracks! The Brachiosaur scene's score is the emotional and musical highpoint and it never recovers or gets better than that. Dennis Steals the Embryo and the entire stretch from To the Maintenance Shed to T-Rex Rescue and Finale both get pretty close for me, but never surpassing that magic, awe and wonder. Nor are they trying to. It all starts out as this magical, highly thematic score with multiple motifs, then "devolves" into grungy action/tension writing and softer melodic parts with the Carnivore motif almost exclusively dominating everything until the credits. It grabs you and draws you in very early, then does a complete 180 over a few minutes. It makes sense with the movie, but basically, the absolute best cue of the whole score ironically feels like it's out of place when compared to the whole.

It's probably why it's not as much of an immediate love to me as other essential scores like E.T., CE3K (both masterful gradual buildups to fantastic finales) and Jaws (some gradual buildup in the first half, an amazing centerpoint (Man Against Beast) and finale (Quint Meets His End until the end of End Title), with many additional highlits sprinkled in.

Whereas with Lost World, it's a very clear and well-defined arc of going to hell and coming back, with an occasional rise only to fall back even lower. It never really starts to advertise itself as anything else, and is thus more consistent and makes for a better sit-down-and-listen experience but with no "real" standalone highlights in trade.

To be perfectly clear: I really like both scores!

I'd argue a lot of TLW is gleefully building up to the blissful madness that is A Visitor in San Diego.

LOVE this summation though! I've always preferred TLW as a listening experience both before and since the complete scores came out, and thought I was bonkers for feeling that way until seeing otherwise.

10 hours ago, Holko said:

To be perfectly clear: I really like both scores!

My local music rarity shop is having a birthday sale today - 12% off every EU import. The main draw with them was they put quite a bit of extra on, making it even more expensive. Now that's off, costing about the same as if I ordered it from Chris' corner, but I get to pick the pickup place. Fuck it, ordered!

• 4 weeks later...

Nah just kidding. I got my copy as soon as the set came available. I just think this set should be available forever for everyone to enjoy.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's still available at other sites, like Music Box Records.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Nah just kidding. I got my copy as soon as the set came available. I just think this set should be available forever for everyone to enjoy.

It bet they'll soon release them as separate two-disc albums, like for the Batman albums.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Feels like it should be a MAF-like release doesn't it?

Once the other retailers run out, nothing beyond the OST will be legally available to buy outside the US.

They technically do - they just don't advertise it as such.  I've seen it a few times. When scores aren't selling well, sometimes they don't move onto the next printing even though they negotiated for 3000 units or whatever.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't the Batman albums go the opposite direction?  From separate sets to a combined set?

Yes it did.

It's sad it's OOP now, but anyone who wasn't already a fan of Williams' work and was a collector would've heard about this set straight away. Future JWFan's will have to buy it for exorbitant prices in the marketplace!

I missed out on Hook and can't find any sets close to my price range...

If the JP set don't get a reprint, call me Dino.

Now LLL... by the way, please reprint Poseidon too...

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's sad it's OOP now, but anyone who wasn't already a fan of Williams' work and was a collector would've heard about this set straight away. Future JWFan's will have to buy it for exorbitant prices in the marketplace!

I missed out on Hook and can't find any sets close to my price range...

Just buy an additional copy of the JP set, wait for a year, and sell it on eBay. Then use the ton of money you get to buy Hook. Problem solved!

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

Indeed, how many people would really wait until the last minute to buy this? If you're a fan like we are, we'd buy it instantly. It's an odd release to 'discover' suddenly.

26 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is it just not an essential release for you?

I don't have an enormous love for either of the scores (I probably will with enough listens, but I got to know them not long ago, I'm not a 90s kid or teen like a lot of people here, HP 1-3 and the SW OT was my shit, neither did my love immediately manifest like with Jaws, CE3K and The Cowboys - I still think they're very good, Lost World is closer on the way to my favourites) and it's a pretty expensive set.

I'd rather say I wasn't in any hurry to get it, always thinking that I'll get around to it someday. E.T. was something I immediately knew I had to get, as would be Matessino expanded treatments of Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Harry Potter. Then the last 100 came and my country's music rarity shop was coincidentally having a sale which basically mitigated the delivery fee from them, so I guess that day came.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Indeed, how many people would really wait until the last minute to buy this? If you're a fan like we are, we'd buy it instantly. It's an odd release to 'discover' suddenly.

I was a huge John Williams fan for years without knowing what the specialty labels even were.  If you don't seek out "the community" it can be quite easy, actually.  Someone who buys every OST and just isn't aware of these limited releases isn't less of fan, for sure.  I felt a little resentful when I did discover all these releases that had been happening for years without my knowing and I didn't have the opportunity to buy them.  Like , "Ha!  These other people got to hear this music because they were in the know, but not you!"

These labels don't actually market their releases very well at all.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was a huge John Williams fan for years without knowing what the specialty labels even were.  If you don't seek out "the community" it can be quite easy, actually.  Someone who buys every OST and just isn't aware of these limited releases isn't less of fan, for sure.  I felt a little resentful when I did discover all these releases that had been happening for years without my knowing and I didn't have the opportunity to buy them.  Like , "Ha!  These other people got to hear this music because they were in the know, but not you!"

These labels don't actually market their releases very well at all.

A good entry point to the world of specialty soundtrack releases would be Varese Sarabande, since they've been in the business for a long time and they've had a lot of regular soundtrack releases.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A good entry point to the world of specialty soundtrack releases would be Varese Sarabande, since they've been in the business for a long time and they've had a lot of regular soundtrack releases.

Yeah I did know about Varese for a long time because their releases actually made it into stores like Barnes & Noble and Borders and Best Buy when I was a kid.  I remember buying this Varese 25th anniversary compilation at a Barnes & Noble in 2003 when I was 16.  It was like finding the freakin' treasure of the Sierra Madre for me at that age!  So much great music, there are many composers I discovered via that compilation.