Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Hard to change much for The Lost World though

Some people say there's music in the film during what was intended to be scored by Rialto Ripples that is still unreleased, but I've never listened to see what they're talking about

There is definitely a synth note playing in the movie that is not on the set:

The cue was supposedly edited for the movie by looping some sections that we have but I can't think of any other track on the set that could contain that synth note.

This is probably what happened to The Ferry Scene on War of the Worlds, where there's a big male choir section playing in the movie that is unreleased too.

I usually understand the desire to have a cue as composed, rather than a film edit, but not in this case. The film version - with whatever they did to the original stems, is indeed masterful.

I guess it wasn't in keeping with the purpose of this set to include it, but it really should have been, primarily because we can't recreate it.

I don't mind it not being included...I think it probably would have held up about as well as the Titanic isolated score, which is to say not very well at all. It's effective for the scene in the film, though.

There's also weird SFX/music trickery when inGen arrives at Isla Sorna, some high-pitched flute for the shot of the helicopters through the binoculars. That isn't on the LLL either (and presumably wasn't composed by Williams).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

There's some weird SFX/music trickery when inGen arrives at Isla Sorna, some weird high-pitched flute for the shot of the helicopters through the binoculars. That isn't on the LLL either (and presumably wasn't composed by Williams).

I know what you're talking about. That cue is a favorite of mine, and after getting so used to hearing those sound effects in there over the years, it sounded weird to finally hear just the music. It was a little like hearing Sirius's rescue music without Hermione's scream echoes. Felt like something was somehow missing!

45 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I know what you're talking about. That cue is a favorite of mine, and after getting so used to hearing those sound effects in there over the years, it sounded weird to finally hear just the music. It was a little like hearing Sirius's rescue music without Hermione's scream echoes. Felt like something was somehow missing!

Yes! I had the exact same reaction with the 'bells of death' in Rescuing Sarah as the two T-Rex approach Eddie's car, before tearing it apart. The SFX of their booming footsteps paired ridiculously well with those bells signalling Eddie's imminent doom, that the (previously unreleased) section of music on the LLL initially sounded wrong.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:43 AM, Chewy said:

There is definitely a synth note playing in the movie that is not on the set:

The cue was supposedly edited for the movie by looping some sections that we have but I can't think of any other track on the set that could contain that synth note.

This is probably what happened to The Ferry Scene on War of the Worlds, where there's a big male choir section playing in the movie that is unreleased too.

I swear that someone posted a clean-audio version of the film edit of Ripples, then hastily deleted it as soon as it was discovered here.

Unfortunately I never saved it, but it was uploaded to YouTube. It sounded 100% legit, as if it had come from the film stems (which seems the only way to replicate the film version of this cue).

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting, I don't remember that! 

Check page 42 of this thread, it was found and discussed then (and promptly deleted, frustratingly).

Several posters identified other cues that matched the film edits perfectly.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:29 PM, Richard Penna said:

I got the two I mentioned.

Why would the account suddenly go like that? They've been up for months...

@Richard Penna am I reading this correctly and you actually saved that apparent film stem leak of Ripples? The only other one you mentioned was the film edit of The Raptors Appear.

On 24/01/2021 at 3:20 PM, Richard Penna said:

I downloaded both videos from YT the nanosecond I realised what they were.

After analysing the YT video of the film edit, it seems like it was made using the LLL set. It does phase with the 2016 Matessino mastering, coming from a recent analog transfer so it can't come from the 1997 film stems.

There's even a section that doesn't match the movie: we never hear the cymbals sound (that we can hear in my edit at 2:00 and in the movie).

Conclusion: it's just a fan edit.

I don't think this can be recreated just using the LLL set though, can it? Unless it's using DVD-rips or something.

It was an initial assumption of ours that this was from the stems of course - could be from anywhere. But it's not easy to see where all the bits came from.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think this can be recreated just using the LLL set though, can it? Unless it's using DVD-rips or something.

Only the synth comes from somewhere else I believe. The video was mostly based on the LLL set track though.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really random question: for albums like this, if you import it into a program like iTunes, do you store it as one 4-disc album ("The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection"), or two 2-disc albums ("Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" separately)?  I'm trying to figure out how to organize things, and I'm curious what other people do.

For a second I thought we would be getting a new 10 disc special edition of both Jurassic Park and Jurassic World OST, including a compilation of tracks from Jurassic World that use John Williams themes.

That said: There are some apearances of the major Williams themes on the new Dominion album.

I actually have both as three disc albums.  For convenience and weird nostalgia for a collection of digital files, I kept my digital copies of the OSTs and made them the third discs for both.  So the album tag is just "Jurassic Park" which has a third disc that contains a rip of the original soundtrack album.

IMG_8357.jpg

12 hours ago, Toa_of_Pi said:

Really random question: for albums like this, if you import it into a program like iTunes, do you store it as one 4-disc album ("The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection"), or two 2-disc albums ("Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" separately)?  I'm trying to figure out how to organize things, and I'm curious what other people do.

Screenshot_2022-06-10_104357.png

I often will still organize albums by "disc" even when it's an ad-hoc album of my own creation where discs go way over the actual physical limit of CD standards.  It's just one way to organize things logically within the bounds of the software.

For multidisc albums, I now make it a rule to use the Disc Number tag, with each disc beginning with Track 1.  This system is recognized by PlexAmp as shown below, which is nice when browsing LLL's multiple 4-disc collections. I can't figure out how to show the disc breaks in Poweramp.

I now prefer using Disc/Track numbering schemes instead of single disc albums with dozens and dozens of tracks. It preserves some of the integrity of the original album. 

Screenshot_2022-06-10_121320.png

I've been rewatching the movies before seeing Dominion, and I had forgotten how good the score to TLW is.  I'm going to have to include this one in my regular rotation for a while.

• 1 month later...

I'm just listening to the interview that MM gave in 2016 about this set. He makes the very interesting observation that JW still thinks in LP terms when producing an album, so I thought I'd check what the JP vinyl release looks like (in terms of when one side ends etc). But even in vinyl form, the album presentation makes little sense: there's still an overload of the main theme, only once does a side change actually mitigate that.

PS: What an amazing interview.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm just listening to the interview that MM gave in 2016 about this set. He makes the very interesting observation that JW still thinks in LP terms when producing an album, so I thought I'd check what the JP vinyl release looks like (in terms of when one side ends etc). But even in vinyl form, the album presentation makes little sense: there's still an overload of the main theme, only once does a side change actually mitigate that.

PS: What an amazing interview.

I would argue that the way the main theme is "overloaded" makes sense:

Track 2: The Theme in all its glory, with choir, by itself - instant gratification

Track 4 - Theme but inside a long track, still with choir - you must earn it/get there

Track 7 - Theme but in variations and its lost its choir, although it still appears in its grand arrangement - still in a long track, variations first and then the regular arrangement

Track 10 - Theme but it's lost its grandeur - the theme not evolving but devolving now it is clear

Track 16 - Theme snippet at the end, the shadow of even the previous shadow of its former self (Track 10) - the theme almost completely gone now.

There's a sensible entropy to the way The Dinosaurs is presented on the original album. I wouldn't say it's overloaded. Although I personally prefer not hearing The Dinosaurs until we see The Dinosaurs, the album is a perfectly viable alternate musical presentation. It has a different narrative: one of musical entropy.

That's how I see it.

Just now, blondheim said:

Track 2: The Theme in all its glory, with choir, by itself - instant gratification

Track 4 - Theme but inside a long track, still with choir - you must earn it/get there

It's not just a different version that also has choir, these two tracks contains LITERALLY the exact same cue - same exact take and mastering

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not just a different version that also has choir, these two tracks contains LITERALLY the exact same cue - same exact take and mastering

I know that. Like I said, I personally prefer not hearing the same track twice. The original opening to Track 2 helps a little. I was merely talking about the arrangement of the tracks and the way the power of the theme declines over time. Track 2 and 4 being the same take doesn't take away from the argument: He gives it to you right away, then makes you work for it a little the next time it appears by placing it in the middle of a longer track and then devolves its power over time: it loses the choir and then recedes over the rest of the album.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Brando said:

I was going to wait but I’ll share now. I reached out to Mike the other day about “Corporate Helicopters” and “Ripples” about the possible sound effects in both of them, and whether or not everything in the “Ripples” film edit is available on the LLL edition, which @crumbsand @Chewyhave talked about several times, and this was his response. So when he does respond hopefully we can put these 2 little mysteries to rest🤞

Nice work mate, thanks for asking!

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Nice! I would massively doubt that the set has the exact materials needed for Ripples as it sounds like individual layers are being used, but I'd be delighted to be wrong.

For sure! The more answers we can get, the better. I was kind of afraid he'd give me the same answers he gave Jay in the initial interview but this gives me hope that he's going to investigate it a little more for a more concrete answer hopefully

It's one element that I feel could be a nice addition to speciality releases, given their audience - notes about tracking (etc) for scenes where the final mix is notably different from the intended music.

Although it occurred to me just now that acually they may not know this - if it's just something that the editors with with some stems or alternate takes during the final dub then it may not be written down anywhere what was actually done for the final film, a bit like the editorial chaos that happened for Sleepy Hollow.

I think Mike only had access to half inch stereo masters for The Lost World, while the sound effects team probably had individual stems to play around with. 

So do people think we'll get a remastered The Lost World this year? I'm betting on a three-disc set for $40 this September or October (possibly the latter, if they play up the horror aspects of the movie). In any case, they should play up the 25th anniversary. We already know about the August LLL releases, and while I'm sure TLW would prove extremely popular, I doubt it would have the desirability of a holiday deluxe release. Not sure what would, though, other than SW and Indy, obviously, and LLL can't touch those.  :unsure:

I apologize if this has been mentioned already (it probably has...), but it would be interesting if they packaged TLW with JP3a la Superman. I personally think that would be a strange and highly unlikely route to go, but I imagine a lot of people would appreciate it. Far better (and more profitable) to issue them both individually in the same month, which I imagine a lot of people would appreciate even more.