Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

Let's hope this LOST WORLD comes out next as a 3CD .The previous expanded program on Disc 1&2 and the OST redux on disc 3.

The AFM rules have also changed recently which means that previous reissues  had to be slightly modified so as to be different than the previous expansions. But not anymore, labels can reissue the same program unhindered going forward.

10 minutes ago, Amer said:

Let's hope this LOST WORLD comes out next as a 3CD .The previous expanded program on Disc 1&2 and the OST redux on disc 3.

The AFM rules have also changed recently which means that previous reissues  had to be slightly modified so as to be different than the previous expansions. But not anymore, labels can reissue the same program unhindered going forward.

I admit that I had no idea about the change in AFM rules, but based on what Mike Matessino said in his recent interview, I am 99% sure it would be a 3-CD release as you and I have speculated. 

Also, I suspect John Williams would like to have his original program available on CD again. As far as I am aware, it was only ever available (in the US, at least) bundled with a deluxe DVD set or as part of a crappy “dinorama” that had a tendency to scratch the discs, lol. 

4 hours ago, SpotTheDog said:

Also, I suspect John Williams would like to have his original program available on CD again. As far as I am aware, it was only ever available (in the US, at least) bundled with a deluxe DVD set or as part of a crappy “dinorama” that had a tendency to scratch the discs, lol. 

It was everywhere the crappy "dinorama".

6 hours ago, Amer said:

I didn’t know this. Do you suppose that means a Jaws reissue would contain the identical program as the previous expansion?

8 hours ago, Amer said:

Do we actually properly know this from any source or is it just a guess based on the E.T. and CE3K unchanged reissues and us not actually knowing the exact specifics before?

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Do we actually properly know this from any source or is it just a guess based on the E.T. and CE3K unchanged reissues and us not actually knowing the exact specifics before

Yes this is from an official source. Not a speculation. 

Some other time. I'm sure you can hone in on the details on the AFM rules website. I read it but it's kinda complicated etc. All that legal mumbo Jumbo.... 

At least a simple "last updated" timestamp would be proof enough that it's a feasible change that could've happened recently. Because only vaguely reading a few details isn't exactly a surefire thing if there ends up being a catch to it.

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Some other time. I'm sure you can hone in on the details on the AFM rules website. I read it but it's kinda complicated etc. All that legal mumbo Jumbo.... 

image.png

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no reason to doubt you though.  :)

Most of the AFM rules in this area seem counter intuitive to basic business sense. I'd be surprised if anyone could explain why they're how they are (even if they could explain them structurally)

On 07/08/2022 at 10:41 AM, Amer said:

While it would be nice for TLW to be available to future purchasers, I really hope LLL doesn't spend that much of their resources just keeping John Williams scores in print.

Besides, given a theoretical choice (and yes I know it's not this simple) between a TLW reissue and JP3, I'd argue the latter is way more important right now.

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

As someone who missed out on the original Jurassic Park set they produced, I'd much rather TLW next, then Jurassic Park 3

And then maybe the three Jurassic World scores after that? (I am secretly hoping the expanded soundtracks for the Jurassic films get released on digital, some time, as well).

Yeah I don't see why they couldn't expand TLW as a 3CD set with percussion-only tracks and the OST on disc 3, then a 2CD Jurassic Park III for Black Friday :)

It's bugged me for 20 years not knowing what this music from OST Bone Man Ben belongs to!!!

That track is one of the main factors of why I don't like the OST - it combines too many little bits into one track and completely ruins the build-up and tension of the final egg/raptor scene. Why didn't he put any of the score from the final underwater scenes? Classic example of trying to improve the flow of the score and achieving the exact opposite.

With TLW vs JP I just think that if it's a case of one before the other, the one that's actually still not released should come first.

I'm not convinced JW would allow percussion-only tracks, tbh. Not that I endorse JW approving anything... the man has horrendous judgement over what his fans want, but MM does still have that hurdle.

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That track is one of the main factors of why I don't like the OST - it combines too many little bits into one track and completely ruins the build-up and tension of the final egg/raptor scene. Why didn't he put any of the score from the final underwater scenes? Classic example of trying to improve the flow of the score and achieving the exact opposite.

There must be an explanation for what happened to that OST. Such a paltry 55 minute album that left off too many highlights.

I'd have to pull it off the shelf to check but they included a bunch of useless screensavers and wallpapers on the disc, which probably took up space.

Must have been some genius in marketing who came up with that idea... but a proper expansion is long overdue (and hopefully with improved sound, because the existing mix is dreadful).

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I don't see why they couldn't expand TLW as a 3CD set with percussion-only tracks and the OST on disc 3, then a 2CD Jurassic Park III for Black Friday :)

It's bugged me for 20 years not knowing what this music from OST Bone Man Ben belongs to!!!

Everything there sounds (to me) that can be heard in the promo, some early boat scenes? But maybe it is an alternate. Same music, different instrumentation?

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Everything there sounds (to me) that can be heard in the promo, some early boat scenes? But maybe it is an alternate. Same music, different instrumentation?

The section from 2:51 onwards isn't on the promo nor used in the film, but it's very memorable.

Probably an alternate for something though no idea what!

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There must be an explanation for what happened to that OST. Such a paltry 55 minute album that left off too many highlights.

I'd have to pull it off the shelf to check but they included a bunch of useless screensavers and wallpapers on the disc, which probably took up space.

Must have been some genius in marketing who came up with that idea... but a proper expansion is long overdue (and hopefully with improved sound, because the existing mix is dreadful).

I'd guess that at the time the fees were still a bit of an issue, given that this has a large orchestra and a choir. Could also just be Davis putting much higher priority of a listening experience over including as much of the score as possible.

I compared the promo to the OST the other week and my memory was wrong - the album sounds pretty much as rubbish as the promo does.

Both sound rubbish but the promo is certainly worse - I don't think they downmixed 5.1 to stereo properly, so it's borderline monaural.

But the OST sounds medicore too, especially however they folded choral recordings into orchestral tracks.

It's totally bizarre considering JP3 had the same recordist as Matrix Reloaded, which is one of the best sounding expansions of all time!

Jurassic World (2015) would have insane union fees since it was recorded in LA right? Then again, maybe not if Rogue One got an expansion...

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd love them but I don't see why any labels would be looking at doing them - they're too new.

There's also the session leaks for Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom that probably lower desirability for those scores a bit

I feel like because the water boat confrontation is considerably different than the film version, the original cut or whatever Don Davis saw was very different. Remember JP3 scrapped everything a few weeks before shooting was supposed to start, so everything about the film was pretty much on the fly. I think the end credits is a very great highlight and can’t wait to hear that in higher definition. 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah, i want the complete end credits

Which, I’m not sure if it’s just me, but everytime I listen to my edit of it, it almost sounds like it’s Brachiosaurus on the Bank and they tracked it there but then part of me feels like it’s not. But I also wonder if they used that as a temp track for Davis to revise it. Whichever one it is, it is glorious 

5 hours ago, Brando said:

Which, I’m not sure if it’s just me, but everytime I listen to my edit of it, it almost sounds like it’s Brachiosaurus on the Bank and they tracked it there but then part of me feels like it’s not. But I also wonder if they used that as a temp track for Davis to revise it. Whichever one it is, it is glorious 

The finale film version sure, it is brachisaurus on the bank tracked. There are nice sounding rerecordings of williams dinosaur and adventure theme (jp end credits) that can be partially heard in the film version end credits. The full version of the credits should be what is on the ost + the fiom material, satisfyingly edited because as it is its not possible to mix correclty ost + dvd rip.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

I was listening to the complete score today. Re-listen ‘reaching for glory’ second half. I think it is there. 

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I was listening to the complete score today. Re-listen ‘reaching for glory’ second half. I think it is there. 

Wow, you're right! Clearly I need to listen to the complete promo again, though I've been saving myself for a proper expansion for 6 years now :(

I wonder if it scored a deleted scene or, chronologically, the scene following the Ceratosaurus sniffing the dino poop? Very unusual scoring if I'm remembering the following scene correctly (they spot bonitos in the water and Grant calls Ellie).

I relistened to the end of Tiny Pecking Pteranodons yesterday and I wonder whether the ending might be something he did specifically for the album. Unless that transition in the film was totally different when he scored it, it doesn't fit at all. The film version transitions nicely into Billy Oblivion to essentially make a 6-minute set piece, but Davis calms the listener down only to immediately knock you over the head again when the latter starts.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I relistened to the end of Tiny Pecking Pteranodons yesterday and I wonder whether the ending might be something he did specifically for the album. Unless that transition in the film was totally different when he scored it, it doesn't fit at all. 

It's tracked music from an earlier cue, when the group arrive at the abandoned lab. 1:12 onwards. 

I guess the cue's actual ending wasn't satisfying on its own? There's a lot of weird choices with that soundtrack. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I guess the cue's actual ending wasn't satisfying on its own? There's a lot of weird choices with that soundtrack. 

No part of that decision makes it play better. I don't have a lot of experience with Davis' album arrangements, but I think he beat JW for completely unneeded rearrangement.

Is the music in the first part of that clip on the promo? Looks like it comes between the parachute discovery and the raptor eggs scene. Could be buried somewhere silly in the OST but I don't recognise it.

• 8 months later...
On 03/08/2022 at 3:21 PM, Brando said:

I was going to wait but I’ll share now. I reached out to Mike the other day about “Corporate Helicopters” and “Ripples” about the possible sound effects in both of them, and whether or not everything in the “Ripples” film edit is available on the LLL edition, which @crumbsand @Chewyhave talked about several times, and this was his response. So when he does respond hopefully we can put these 2 little mysteries to rest🤞

15333FC5-C355-40B8-94AB-0A5BB316B748.png

Okay its been a while and he never replied to THIS email, however I sent him another one today asking about Wompi's Wrench and what it stands for, because I think about that cue name often, and he just replied to me and, his response was intriguing:

IMG_8319.png

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Dammit, now that mystery's gonna bug me too!! :lol:

I'm guessing Wompi is someone's nickname in the music department, Kenneth Wannberg perhaps? He was the music editor on TLW.

Wannberg...wannbee..wambee....wampee...wompi.....

On 15/04/2023 at 1:14 PM, Brando said:

Okay its been a while and he never replied to THIS email, however I sent him another one today asking about Wompi's Wrench and what it stands for, because I think about that cue name often, and he just replied to me and, his response was intriguing:

IMG_8319.png

@BrotherSound nudged me in the right direction, but there's references to "Wompi" in the Jurassic Park cue list and sheet music, also. @Datameistermentioned it in this cue analysis from 2011.

3M2 Record Intro and Wompi Ending

Wompi Ending is 3:13-end of OST track 2, effectively just the album ending Williams recorded for 3M2 The Dinosaurs (so he could include that cue as a standalone track).

The plot thickens...

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

@BrotherSound nudged me in the right direction, but there's references to "Wompi" in the Jurassic Park cue list and sheet music, also. @Datameistermentioned it in this cue analysis from 2011.

3M2 Record Intro and Wompi Ending

Wompi Ending is 3:13-end of OST track 2, effectively just the album ending Williams recorded for 3M2 The Dinosaurs (so he could include that cue as a standalone track).

The plot thickens...

Oh yes, I've seen that before but forgot! Still wondering what it means and what a wrench has to do with any of it?

Justin Long Movie GIF

Pictured here is JW behind the scenes of recording Wompi Ending & Wompi's Wrench