Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

I loved those releases - they were very cheap for four discs.  They seemed to do one every five years, and I picked up a few.  Eventually the model didn't work, I guess, because they started releasing them as Club titles for a much higher price that, for me, wasn't worth it.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I loved those releases - they were very cheap for four discs.  They seemed to do one every five years, and I picked up a few.  Eventually the model didn't work, I guess, because they started releasing them as Club titles for a much higher price that, for me, wasn't worth it.

Well the last one they did was the 35th anniversary AFAIK.  And that was in 2013.  Maybe a 40th will come this year!  I too like the format, it's a good way to sample scores and composers I otherwise wouldn't.

A set I had which was my leeway into other scores was a boxset featuring a lineup of popular film score selections from Classic fm called 'Classic fm at the Movies' back in 2005. 

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I was a huge John Williams fan for years without knowing what the specialty labels even were.  If you don't seek out "the community" it can be quite easy, actually.  Someone who buys every OST and just isn't aware of these limited releases isn't less of fan, for sure.  I felt a little resentful when I did discover all these releases that had been happening for years without my knowing and I didn't have the opportunity to buy them.  Like , "Ha!  These other people got to hear this music because they were in the know, but not you!"

These labels don't actually market their releases very well at all.

That's a very fair comment - back in 2005 I didn't know about the specialty labels 'thing' and passed on Home Alone 2.

They don't indeed market their releases much,  but with pressings in only a few thousand, it's hard to see who they'd be marketing them to.

I've been around here since 1999 and actively buying scores since before then, but "the labels" rose to prominence when I was kind of on a break from film score fandom (still bought new releases, etc, but wasn't following anything online).  So I missed a small handful of early Williams releases I would have wanted and known about if I had stayed plugged in, instead of Experiencing Life in college.

I actively and voraciously listened to film music for something like 15 years and never once even thought about finding a community based around it.  No idea why!  I had never heard of FSM or JWFan until just a few years ago.  I really only stumbled on to it by complete accident.  And that's when I discovered the existence of C&C re-releases of film scores as a concept and a thing.

• 4 months later...

Did La-La Land ever release the cover art for these two scores within this set, like they have just done with the HARRY POTTER scores? Would be nice to have high-quality professional scans of the two soundtracks' art, other than just the main box cover.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I think about it,I think this set would have been cool with each score in it's own double c.d. jewel case inserted into a cardboard box like the Potter set or Indy box

As it is now it doesn't stand out on a shelf

Funny, this JP/TLW Collection thread got 2110 replies on 43 pages in two years!

The HP Collection thread got over 3200 replies on 65 pages in less than one month

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Now that I think about it,I think this set would have been cool with each score in it's own double c.d. jewel case inserted into a cardboard box like the Potter set or Indy box

That would have been great actually, in hindsight. Maybe for a reissue down the track.

I'd definitely have the JP/TLW set up there with Dracula and Harry Potter as the top-tier Williams releases of the last few years, worthy of a slipcase.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd definitely have the JP/TLW set up there with Dracula and Harry Potter as the top-tier Williams releases of the last few years, worthy of a slipcase.

Slipcases are cumbersome. I like my CDs to be easily available.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And very few have actually heard it!

Well, it might he called the anticipation or hype thread.

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Those three and A.I.

Yes!

My Top 3 Williams sets right now: 

Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection 

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (LLL)

If I was allowed to take only three sets onto a deserted island.... You know how that one goes! :D

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, it might be called the anticipation or hype thread.

I actually was called the HYPE thread at some point.

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection 

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (LLL)

If I was allowed to take only three sets onto a deserted island.... You know how that one goes! :D

Right you are.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Yes, it was! :D

Wonder why @Jay changed the title again. Does he maybe think the HYPE has already worn off...?

Any big release gets multiple threads.  This one is full of all the pre-release hype, then pages and pages of shipping updates.

The actual musical content of the set is discussed here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26866-the-john-williams-jurassic-park-collection-from-la-la-land-music-discussion/

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

As one who organizes his collection chronologically I have to agree with this statement.  I have the individual HP as well as IJ cases out of their boxes and in with the JW "general population".  🤣  Drives me crazy that TLW is before Nixon, Sabrina, and Sleepers 😂

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Those three and A.I.

Yes, absolutely. My 4 all-time favourite Matessino releases by a country mile. I think only IJ and SW prequel trilogy/sequel trilogy box sets could top these now.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

As one who organizes his collection chronologically I have to agree with this statement.  I have the individual HP as well as IJ cases out of their boxes and in with the JW "general population".  🤣  Drives me crazy that TLW is before Nixon, Sabrina, and Sleepers 😂

I do chronological as well, but keep the series scores together. (prequels before OT though)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, absolutely. My 4 all-time favourite Matessino releases by a country mile. I think only IJ and SW prequel trilogy/sequel trilogy box sets could top these now.

According to my survey they consitute more than 97% of JWFan's favourite releases.

I love TLW. It recalls Goldsmith at his most badass. Williams abandoned the sugary melodic themes that people on this forum seem to be obsessed with and signature twinkly swashbuckling style in favor of a more brooding atmospheric approach. Buh-bye comfort zone. Even the brief renditions of themes from the first score somehow sound cooler, excepting the silly sped-up theme at the end.

The suspenseful and pounding action packed stuff that make up the majority of the score has a threatening nature. It's a great action/adventure score and one of the only times his music ever sounded like this. It's also one of the few JW scores I can have playing in public situations and not feel pretentious or like a bit of a sissy.

I think it us cool how differently everyone enjoys JW.

Playing JP in “public situations” would seem to me a conscious effort to make people wonder what the hell was wrong with my mental health. Haha, I could never, never, ever imagine putting on C&C JP during any kind of social gathering and just let it play in the background.

I don’t mean to knock the score. I love JP. It was the first JW cd I actively sought out in the mid 90’s, and I know every note by heart.

But if I were to pull off a “JW playing in the background”, it’d better be a curated list of JW’s sugary melodic themes, I think.

I don't mean social gatherings, mainly driving and especially working, which is how we spend the majority of our time in America. Otherwise there's little opportunity for hearing this stuff. There was one time I was up on the midspan and E.T. came on. I wasn't in a position to turn it off, but thankfully no one was around.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, Brundlefly said:

No wonder you changed it. Must be awkward when they call your name in public.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, Faleel J.M. said:

I do chronological as well, but keep the series scores together.

Yes, and I generally group at least related re-releases and expansions, so JP/TLW fits right in.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, Faleel J.M. said:

(prequels before OT though)

I had to check, apparently I have them in the same order.

• 2 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, Ghostbusters II said:

Even the brief renditions of themes from the first score somehow sound cooler, excepting the silly sped-up theme at the end.

He sped it up because he was in a rush to finish the score so he could abandon this franchise in favor of Star Chores.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

It would be seriously cool if he kept the same art style going in a future JP3 set. Spinosaurus vector for the disc art, please :D

With teeth this time, please

They could have addressed the thing in that article ..as a joke... Anyway..the promo stills released at the time have been corrected here...and they were teeth less at the time of announcement....that's revisiting history! :P

I find strange that universal did not provide high resolution  icons of the dino logos, as they were used prominently in the film merchandise. I have an original 1993 big poster with them....