The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

I seem to recall Doug tweeting that the book will discuss some unreleased sections of the score. Since he isn't in the habit of writing "unused concept" clauses in the finished book, it most likely means that these will be discussed with the context of an added CD.

As for what will be in there, I think the whole theatrical finale of An Unexpected Journey (including that spellbinding eagle music) will surely be included. The music for the funeral scene is a given, as is "Valley of Imladris" (Doug said it almost made it into the original album). Beyond those, it's anybody's guess really.

But he also said that he hopes talking publicly about the unreleased music will bring attention to it, so that expanded releases can happen.

Which doesn't sound at all like a CD of any kind will be included.

Question, why is this still a separate forum? I know some people are looking forward to the book, but that's pretty much the only active thing going on Tolkien music wise. 

A couple of posts a week max, in 2, maybe 3 threads doesn't seem to justify a sub forum.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Question, why is this still a separate forum? I know some people are looking forward to the book, but that's pretty much the only active thing going on Tolkien music wise. 

A couple of posts a week max, in 2, maybe 3 threads doesn't seem to justify a sub forum.

The fuck do YOU want? 

You bitched about Tolkien threads on General Discussion in the first place.

Hi, it's my first post here, hello to you all :) 

This place seems like my best shot at doing this, so I've got 2 questions for the awesome @Doug Adams:
1. We know the lyrics for LotR film music come from texts in Quenya, Khuzdul, Black Speech, etc., but the actual lyrics in the tracks quite frequently used only parts of the source texts, often out of order, or even just some syllables of the original words, sometimes not making much sense in the final effect. Were the texts simply edited to suit the music or...? How did the process of turning the source texts into the lyrics look like?
2. Is your upcoming Hobbit music book going to include lyrics to "non-canon" pieces like the film version of Thorin vs. Azog cue from AUJ? I really, really want to know what that piece's text is about.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jason, don't you mean gkguyver behave? I simply asked a question. You responded normally, as did Bilbo. Guyver did NOT.

It would be a simple question from anybody else's fingers. From yours, however, it's a sanctimonious question and quite provocative, considering your behavior when the split happened.

And since you barely post here anyway, one might ask what your incentive is to do so with such a question. Because the obvious answer is: because you wanted it.

Bitterness over not being mod yourself should be channeled to somewhere else, applications should be submitted somewhere else, as well as suggestions, born out of pure concern for the Board I'm sure; and not in the form of dismissive and patronizing posts in a thread and discussion that have nothing to do with it.

I rest my case, Dutchman.

I seem to recall the same.

And once we have the text, it becomes easier to guess what's in the actual libretto. Hell, we already have a fair bit of the lyrics from Piano books, etc.

7 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I think I asked specifically about that Nazgul piece, after Doug teasing that it featured lyrics written about the Azog, and he said the book discusses the original intentions but includes all lyrics (including the Azog/Thorin alternate).

I believe you and sure hope it is going to be that way, but I still would like to hear a confirmation from Doug :D

The problem with the lyrics in that scene by the way is that Tolkien conceived common speech (and, by proxy, Adunaic) and Khuzdul as closely related. Both are vaguely Semitic sounding.

As a result, whatever lyrics are in there, while they make for a great chant, don't distinguish themselves far enough from "revelation of the ringwraiths." There's a moment in there where I could swear hearing "[neba]bitham ma[ganane]." Although on the whole Its clearly a different text.

Either way, it's still a wicked chant. Khuzdul makes for great singing!

59 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I think I asked specifically about that Nazgul piece, after Doug teasing that it featured lyrics written about the Azog.

24 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I found it:

Ah, yes, I've seen that one. The way I interpreted it before still made it ambiguous for me whether both the lyrics and the score will be talked about only in their original form or just the score, but maybe I misunderstood it. Thanks :)

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I agree! Now is the perfect time to release The Music Of The Star Wars Films book!

Featuring Episodes 1-7, The Clone Wars, and Rogue One.

Then an expanded edition in 2019 to include Episode 8 in the run up to Episode 9 and then 25 years later and expanded version finally giving us 2 pages of extra material covering all the films released since Episode 8!

I love it! 

I wish the things Doug spends time writing could come out in a timely manner once he finishes writing them.  It must be frustrating to wait and wait and wait for studio politics to catch up to what's ready to go

I know that, but he first talked about his silent movie book in a podcast about The Hobbit in 2012.  It's almost 2018 and it isn't even announced yet.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I wish the things Doug spends time writing could come out in a timely manner once he finishes writing them.  It must be frustrating to wait and wait and wait for studio politics to catch up to what's ready to go

Yup! But you're always at the mercy of someone else with these things, so you learn to be content with things inching along ... as long as the forward progress doesn't cease entirely.