The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

Howard Shore always has such a calm aura around him. Sometimes I wonder, though, how much pressure he himself felt on the Hobbit, to be his "LotR-self".

I mean, following your own success surely is somewhat intimidating.

If anything, he actually got better at writing these leitmotivic pieces. The Hobbit scores are fairly more dense than The Lord of the Rings, except maybe Return of the King.

• 2 months later...

With the re-release of The Fellowship of the Ring CR, one must wonder what other things from (or regarding) Howard Shore's opus might see the light of day soon....:whistle:

I......don't wonder about that, at least not as regards LotR. What is currently out there music-wise (and since the Rarities, has been out there since late 2010), is all that there will be. As much as I would love to see a second Rarities CD with, of course, the full alternate version of "Breaking of the Fellowship", I know there won't be such a thing.

But as I've said repeatedly in the past, I won't let the 0.5% that are off drag down the remaining 99.5% that are perfect. So all is well that ends well, at least where I'm concerned. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK...back for the LotR Rarities, Doug shared a first draft of the coverart back in early 2009, I believe (before the lawsuit [?] delayed things)...and the book was out about 1.5 years later. So...fall of next year? I can live with that! :) Just make sure to include the complete alternate "Breaking of the Fel..."...hang on, wrong score. Ach, just put "Flight to the Carrock" on it in all its choral splendour, and I'll have some Guinness delivered to your doorstep. ;)

Nice!

I'm sure there will be a rarities disc. I'm nowhere near as familiar with The Hobbit scores as LOTR, but it feels to me like 1 disc might be enough for the key missing film versions of cues and some alternates.

I'd lap up a Complete Records release of these scores though if only in the hope of better sound quality.

31 minutes ago, Alan said:

Nice!

I'm sure there will be a rarities disc. I'm nowhere near as familiar with The Hobbit scores as LOTR, but it feels to me like 1 disc might be enough for the key missing film versions of cues and some alternates.

I'd lap up a Complete Records release of these scores though if only in the hope of better sound quality.

A new better mix of the Hobbit scores (especially BotFA) would be more than welcome. And I would certainly purchase the CRs if they were released.

Trouble is though, how long has it been since Doug finished this book? Seems like ages now. And who commissioned him to write it in the first place? Seems bizarre that there's not even an indication of it being published yet.

7 hours ago, Kühni said:

Ach, just put "Flight to the Carrock" on it in all its choral splendour,

That's magnificent.

I'd also like to have The Valley of Imladris.

Besides being a beautiful piece of music, its also part of the thematic architecture of the score: you hear it in the underscore first as Elrond rides into Rivendell. But since we don't have the diegetic variation on the album, in listening to it, it comes across as a one-off melody rather than a recurring theme, even though it really is.

18 hours ago, Barnald said:

Trouble is though, how long has it been since Doug finished this book? Seems like ages now. And who commissioned him to write it in the first place? Seems bizarre that there's not even an indication of it being published yet.

I have a feeling that a certain Howard Shore commissioned the book. ;)

But the path from a manuscript to a published tome can take a long and circuitous route where depending on the circumstances long spells are filled with just waiting with no progression at all. Thus we have to adopt an elven or even wizardly patience.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 3:37 PM, Stefancos said:

Hitch would have made 3 Star Trek quotes by now!

Faker!

I'm not a drama critic.

He tasks me and I shall have him.

I...did...nothing.

On 6/23/2017 at 2:00 PM, Bilbo said:

I am Hitch. Or rather, Hitch as he should have been.

I come back to you now at the turn of the tide 

You are a nobody, my little green friend 😛

• 1 month later...

So... how about that Hobbit book, hey?

I'm a little late on current events but is this likely to be bundled with a rarities CD with unreleased tracks? Seeing as complete recording type releases of this trilogy seem highly unlikely, for one reason or another.

Well, I'm sure breaking news (and a subsequent surge in interest) regarding this franchise could do nothing but aid Adams and co. in moving towards releasing this book. :whistle:

But we'll just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Evanus said:

Really curious who's going to score that show. Imagine if Shore was involved... 😵 but of course that won't happen. 

I can definitely see him writing a few themes. Williams wrote Star Wars music for a spinoff film and a theme park. Surely Shore can do the same to extend his magnum opus.

Besides, Shore has left such a glossary of themes, that any composer wanting to do his work even a little bit of justice will end up using a lot of them (and Adams book/s is/are vital to this). The map seems to suggest a Third Age setting. Well, Shore has already composed themes for all the major realms and lands of that age: Erebor, Moria, Esgaroth, Gondor (which also applies to Arnor), Bree, The Shire, Rivendell, Lorien, the Woodland Realm, Gundabad, Mordor. You have themes which are applicable for a great number of situations, as well, like the Fall of Men, the Death motif or the Weakness arpeggio.

Its more than just themes, really. Its the vocabularly from which they are constructed. Any further themes developed by a composer in accordance with that vocabulary would inevitable sound familiar and will be related to existing themes. Shore has mapped the orchestration, as well: so we know guttural men's choir is Dwarves, women are Elves, children are the forces of Nature, percussion is Orcs, etcetra...

Good catch. That map is from Pre-Rohan era then. I wonder if that is any sort of clue or just an oversight of whoever posted that map.