The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

15 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Several cues have material that cover the same footage like The Three Hunters, The Banishment of Eomer, Osgiliath Invaded, Dernhelm in Battle, Shieldmaiden of Rohan...

Repeating the odd transition here and there was the only way to incorporate all the material without artificially truncating or editing the compositions. In the case of ROTK, the approach was to return to the original chronology of the score for the most part, presenting the most complete versions of each composition.

15 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Days of the Ring is also technically a edit with Into the West replacing Frodo's Song (the version underneath the Howard Shore & Doug Adams conversation track on the Rarities.)

Frodo's Song was never recorded in its entirety. The take heard on the Rarities is incomplete.

14 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Yeah, that was my thought too. I worked like a madman to write my first draft of Hobbit between January and early May 2014. But alas, it was not to be. 

Had the third film's score already finished recording by May 2014?

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Frodo's Song was never recorded in its entirety. The take heard on the Rarities is incomplete.

Interesting.

The Use Well the Days documentary has a longer version, in any case, with what we hear in Days of the Ring going into unreleased material that transitions into Rarities In Conversation Frodo's Song V2.

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Repeating the odd transition here and there was the only way to incorporate all the material without artificially truncating or editing the compositions. In the case of ROTK, the approach was to return to the original chronology of the score for the most part, presenting the most complete versions of each composition.

Of course.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense!

That means we're coming up on the fifth anniversary of you finishing your first draft!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

However, I'm most interested in your Impossible Silence book - could you give us an update on that?

On 1/12/2020 at 10:01 PM, Doug Adams said:

I'm not making any noise on social media (does this count?), but I have an Impossible Silence meeting coming up later this week. 

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I would really love to know Shore's honest feelings about his work and working conditions on these films. 

Well, I can see his enthusiasm in the Making-Of video for "An Unexpected Journey", which I presume was done before any "tinkering" had occurred.

I see more of an enthusiasm for writing to the book - it's harder to judge how far that enthusiasm ventures into the films themselves.

You'd hope it's a similar situation with SW, where regardless of how questionable the films might be, the composer is enjoying creating their musical tapestry.

Even in the liner notes for the RotK OST, Shore mentions his hope for a Hobbit's tale. So, yes, Richard, you hit the nail on its head.

If I had the means, I'd commission, oh I dunno, a dozen different composers to write their version of The Silmarillion. That ought to be a vast canvas to draw upon... (Note: HanZ et al. are not among these dozen composers...)

On 4/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, gkgyver said:

I would really love to know Shore's honest feelings about his work and working conditions on these films. 

Pretty sure he was fine working from his hotel and skyping-in to PJ. It's not like they kept him chained up on set, dragging him out whenever a musical opinion was needed.

5cb6c1074cd38fbd23bb60d409ba75ae8269ac9b_00.gif

• 1 month later...

@Jim Ware plays a snippet of the alternate FOTR Prologue Gondor theme at 1:12:34 that has a split second of brass that sounds unreleased to me...

32 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What did they say? Is the book coming, are CRs coming?

Nothing about those we haven't heard before, book should cone out eventually etc. most of the new info was about statistics and some theme names.

24 minutes ago, The River (Fal) said:

Nothing about those we haven't heard before, book should cone out eventually etc. most of the new info was about statistics and some theme names.

Statistics? Like the likelihood of the book being released at all?

Howard's vision, musically, for Middle Earth is so complete, that I really feel the Amazon people have everything they need.

Very true, @Doug Adams. As far as I can tell, the series is going to be about the Forging of the Rings, and so much of the relevant material is already in place: We have the "Second Age Gondor" theme which could as well be the Numenore theme for the show (and just as well, cause that's a bloody cool tune!); we have material for Elrond and Galadriel; we have the Sauron and Rings material; we have the Moria material; even stuff like the Fall of Men or the Weakness and Redemption material could come in handy.

Basically, we need an Eregion theme (a-la Solo) and Bob's your uncle!

13 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

Where do we hear the returning choral text?

Probably something to do with Galadriel/Elves, or the Eagles I guess.

That was a great talk @Doug Adams and @Jim Ware! And yes this music is endlessly fascinating and as you say several times there is always the delight of discovering something new about it even after listening to these scores for years.

19 hours ago, Incanus said:

there is always the delight of discovering something new about it even after listening to these scores for years.

Ah, yes, that face of realization one makes when ones realizes the end of "The Hidden Valley" and the diegetic "The Valley of Imladris" are the same theme!:lol:

Am really enjoying watching this! Although the first time Justin's mic wasn't working, I thought it was just a really long uncomfortable silence where everyone was waiting for someone else to speak which was painful ROTFLMAO.

It's a joy to see Jim for the first time, and you come across great here, with thoughtful and considered responses.

Would be a thrill to have a beer with the both of you some day!

• 1 year later...

FotR came out in 2001, Doug's book on LotR nine years later.

2021 is nine years after 2012 when AUJ came out...sogettoityes? :)

21 hours ago, Kühni said:

FotR came out in 2001, Doug's book on LotR nine years later.

2021 is nine years after 2012 when AUJ came out...sogettoityes? :)

The LotR book came out 4 years after definitive enough releases of all the scores to base it on and listen along with were out. So... 2025 at the earliest? ;)

Three years. RotK CS Dec. 2007 > Book Fall 2010.

So 2024? Make it so! @Doug Adams, you have the choice of Guinness delivered to your door-step (as long as it's the same door-step as back in 2008), or a (Dead) Army of Moles laying waste to your vegetable patch...or the property owners after you.

;)

22 hours ago, Kühni said:

Three years. RotK CS Dec. 2007 > Book Fall 2010.

So 2024? Make it so! @Doug Adams, you have the choice of Guinness delivered to your door-step (as long as it's the same door-step as back in 2008), or a (Dead) Army of Moles laying waste to your vegetable patch...or the property owners after you.

;)

I've moved. ;)

Anyway, it might be best for everyone involved to know there's a show coming out in "early 2022" with marketing to begin in September-October. :whistle:

Just in case someone should want to piggyback ride on a wave of renewed interest in the property for certain publishing goals...