The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Who said they were complex?

Just the impression I always got whenever the subject of Hobbit expansions (or updated LOTR expansions with more music) came up.

Not like there's LA union fees to contend with.

The Hobbit rights lie entirely within WB; They released the OST albums on their own Water Tower Records label, so there is no music label the rights are split with

You could say they are less complex than the average score in that sense

I would think it’s a commercial decision. They obviously don’t feel there much more to be milked from the films that have been released but they are also probably unwilling to hand over the jewel (and let’s face it Middle-earth is probably the strongest franchise they have left) to a specialty label just in case. 

Maybe Doug’s book in 2024 for the 10 anniversary of the end of the trilogy? 

Guess I just don't see why WB would be opposed to a label like LLL working on Hobbit expansions, after waving through Harry Potter and Matrix expansions in recent years.

I can understand reluctance/disinterest from their own record labels (commercial reasons or whatever) but they seem unconcerned with what the labels are pursuing, so long as they pocket the licensing fees.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Guess I just don't see why WB would be opposed to a label like LLL working on Hobbit expansions, after waving through Harry Potter and Matrix expansions in recent years.

I can understand reluctance/disinterest from their own record labels (commercial reasons or whatever) but they seem unconcerned with what the labels are pursuing, so long as they pocket the licensing fees.

I would bet the LotR soundtracks outsell HP and Matrix combined. 

The commercial success argument is a really strange one because

A: every year labels release scores where you wonder "who the fack would buy that?" so The Hobbit stands above all of them,

and

B: because there is no physical release needed, "only" assembling and mastering.

33 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd have thought the reason was simpler - Shore created albums he was happy with at the time and no one would do an expansion without his blessing.

Bingo.

What if someone wanted a longer program, but not complete? Essentially an all killer no filler version of the complete score?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blondheim said:

The LOTR and Hobbit score don’t have any filler.

Nah, FOTR aside, there are a couple bars I could live without, if I had to.

He's probably had Doug tell him about the desire for more music. Not sure about he himself being aware though. He doesn't strike me as a man who would read up on opinions online, well, ever. 

I would even concede that LOTR style Complete Recordings aren't necessary (though wanted), but certainly an extensive collection of alternates and unreleased music.

One "disc" (75 minutes) for each film would suffice, providing that it would NOT follow the lead of the LOTR rarities disc and NOT include full tracks that were already released, just because there is a few extra bars in there.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...