The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Wanker!

Don't you mean Wander. That is how Wanker is pronounced in the US. At least if you look at the example of Thomas Wanker who scored ID4: Resurgence.

On 11. Januar 2017 at 3:15 AM, Doug Adams said:

Those of us who were close to the process don't avoid taking about it because of some deep, dark secret. We're just being polite and deferring to Howard. If he wants to go deeper into his decision-making process, that's his business not ours. 

In truth, there was no single event that prompted the decision anyway. The nutshell version is that the timing just didn't work out. Shore needed to be focused on composing, and there simply wasn't time to do this while tending to the lengthy recording and rewriting process. In this sense, the DOS doc really says it all. You've all heard how crazy these postproduction schedules were. They really, really were! The official channels aren't playing it up for drama. Even the liner notes were hard to pull off. (And I know, a multi-million dollar film production shouldn't be worried about the dork doing the liner notes anyway ... I'm just saying!) There was one time in mid-October of 2014 when I was having a late dinner with Howard. We kind of hung out until the wee hours chatting, then -- sometime well after midnight -- he politely got up and said, "Well, I need to go compose more Dol Guldur." I responded, "Yeah, I need to write something about it." We both laughed because he was composing music for unfinished scenes and I was trying to analyze unfinished music. We always fixed things up in revisions, but that was how things worked. A lot of the first draft material was pretty speculative. 

But again, I'm probably telling you things you already know.

Oh and yeah ... there was some discussion of Howard working on the song for the third Hobbit film. He actually was involved in a sort of supervisory capacity, and even had a song credit in the album notes for a little while. But he ultimately decided that his work wasn't worthy of a credit, and asked that they not award him one. (This is not implying that he ghostwrote the song or anything. The people credited on the album *are* the people who created this song. He just sort of checked in and leant an ear from time to time.) Again, I think the schedule just didn't allow anything more significant. Too much overlap in schedules. 

And as for Chicago weather .... the less said the better this time of year. I've been looking for my patio furniture most of the afternoon thank to gale force winds. Blech!

So, in essence, the digital editing process where PJ changed things on a whim was so fast-paced and hectic that rewriting to picture while writing new stuff was impossible, so that Pope took that job; and for BOTFA, the score was recorded in September (or October), with not much additional rescoring because everyone knew rescoring is pointless because a. the editing made it useless, and b. PJ would edit it anyway, so they recorded the whole score, and let Jackson edit it to his wishes.

Which would explain why BOTFA sometimes sounds like someone took a score from a different film and edited it to fit his own.

No offense to Mr. Shore, but BOTFA is an editorial mess.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The score for the whole battle section of the film definitely has less flow than Shore's usual Middle-Earth music, and that is most definitely a consequence of the (more than likely) non-stop re-editing of those sequences by PJ.

Hey only 25% of that film was pure CG with no live action elements whatsoever! And I wager about 95% of the battles were CG.

That is verily the image that shall haunt us both in our dreams and waking hours, an abomination of particular nature that shall not give us rest or respite, a visage truly of horrific deformity and unnaturalness that has etched as if burned by acid its nightmarish hue and features into our consciousness. It cannot be taken back or forgotten. The horror, the horror.

What brand of madness possessed BB to pull together elements so far apart to produce this thing.

• 1 month later...

Seems like a good time for my twice-yearly shout into the void that I would love to have this book (and Doug's other books) in Kindle/eBook format, and would ~~~~REBUY~~~~ the previous book in digital.   Bless ya all.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

46 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Seems like a good time for my twice-yearly shout into the void that I would love to have this book (and Doug's other books) in Kindle/eBook format, and would ~~~~REBUY~~~~ the previous book in digital.   Bless ya all.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Noted. ;)

I'd love to have pocket access for reference while I'm listening to music at work, or backlit on my Kindle while I'm stuck with a sick or restless baby at night, or on the bus, or on a toilet, or on a chemical bus toilet.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not the kind of book to read in the bus or in the toilets!

You'd be surprised in my bathroom.

Just yesterday I read the DoS piano book.

While we're on this subject, what would you like to see in a digital version of the book?  A straight reproduction of the printed version?  Additional written content?  Additional audio visual content?

29 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

While we're on this subject, what would you like to see in a digital version of the book?  A straight reproduction of the printed version?  Additional written content?  Additional audio visual content?

6 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

If you're going to suggest additional content, we're not going to say no!

Basically, what SUH said.

But dream version of eBook would include lots of sound clips.  If there is musical notation of a theme, it could be linkable to a sound clip (even just a simple piano/keyboard version, not from the recorded score).  It would save a lot of time, vs. flipping around on CDs.

And if the physical book would have, say, an audio CD of rarities, preferably those tracks would be playable in the eBook as well. 

Behind the scenes videos aren't really my cup of tea, personally.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, people who don't care about eBooks wouldn't get to have access to the additional content? Nice...

Some things can't be done on paper.  Fairly standard industry practice with some eBooks is to include multimedia that couldn't be made available in paper books.  One good example:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQQSD2W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1  Rinzler's Making of Star Wars.  Includes audio versions of interviews, and archival video.

Not any different, either, than early adopters being ticked off at new/different material being included in a second edition or a paperback volume.  That's publishing, baby!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

So they'd be forced to buy an eBook reader just to get that one eBook? Nice...

You can read eBooks on any computer - and on any smartphone.  Wouldn't have to pony up for a reader or tablet.