The Lost World: 19 Years Ago

1 minute ago, Romão said:

Am I that always thought the percussion driven beggining of the Lost World Theme was an homage to the Overture from Lawrence of Arabia?

Yes! I have thought so too.

I've never minded Kelly killing the raptor. That whole scene is terrific and I love when Malcolm says, "The school cut you from the team?" Every line by Goldblum in that film is gold.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So is The Lost World the best score Williams wrote for a bad movie?

No, because your premise is false. TLW is a great movie.

The best score he wrote for a bad movie is unquestionably STORY OF A WOMAN. But other contenders include MONSIGNOR (as previously mentioned), FAR & AWAY, THE FURY, EARTHQUAKE, FITZWILLY, A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN, PENELOPE or DIAMOND HEAD -- all films with serious issues, but with smokin' great Williams scores. I don't count titles like 1941, JOHN GOLDFARB, HEARTBEEPS etc. where both the music and film are kinda bad (albeit charming on occasion).

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

The best score he wrote for a bad movie is unquestionably STORY OF A WOMAN. But other contenders include MONSIGNOR (as previously mentioned), FAR & AWAY, THE FURY, EARTHQUAKE, FITZWILLY, A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN, PENELOPE or DIAMOND HEAD -- all films with serious issues, but with smokin' great Williams scores.

There are four Star Wars movies you left out. Possibly five. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thor, you do realize that you are the only one who thinks that. No one over the age of 10 has ever called The Lost World a GREAT movie.

I know plenty who like that movie, including my film journalist colleagues. I liked it back then, I probably like it even more today. Yes, it is most definitely great, and one of Spielberg's most underrated works.

Just now, Muad'Dib said:

Liking it is one thing. It being an actually good film is another.

I like it because I think it's good. Even great.

It's sound logic, really. Do we like things that hurt? That cause pain or discomfort? If so, there must be some level of risk/reward or pain/pleasure or "this fucking sucks but goddammit I love it" threshold to overcome. 

There are worse movies than TLW in Williams' filmography of course. And there are equally brilliant scores as TLW which he wrote for so-called "bad movies". But it's kind of inevitable in such a long career than now covers 60+ years of writing for film. Let's just enjoy the music and enough with ranking :)

I prefer Ghostbusters II.

One thing people criticize heavily about TLW is the characters. Basically, there are no redeeming qualities or sympathetic characters except maybe Roland, who is the one that comes closest to having a decent arc. The good guys (minus Malcolm, who's just there for personal reasons) let the dinosaurs loose and doom everyone, who are mostly just "innocent" blue collar guys working for InGen. Nick sort of gets redeemed by being the one to send the distress call.

The characters are mostly fine, but that's not my main draw to the film. For me, it is ALL about atmosphere and action setpieces (much like the first film -- only darker this time). I'm not even into dinosaurs; it's all about the film language on display.

There's an element of 'both sides are as stupid as each other.'

Ultimately the Gatherers cause everyone to be trapped there and die en masse by destroying the Hunters camp, while their dinotarianism helping the baby Rex ends up destroying their own camp.

OTOH, maybe that's giving Koepp too much credit; it's just as likely he's a mediocre screenwriter who didn't think about these things. Don't forget he wrote an Indiana Jones film where the protagonist is a passive, bumbling observer for most of the plot; ain't no clever symbolism there.

People are also trashing Koepp for the script, but I think it's awesome. So many classic lines, especially in the trailer scene.

"Well, I've gotten used to being apart, but that doesn't mean that's how I want to, uhh, live!"

"I love you. I just don't...need you right now."

"I'll tell you what you need, uhh, a good...antipsychotic."
"I'll be back in five or six days!"
"No, you'll be back in five or six pieces!"

Or

"Oh, yeah. "Ooh! Aah!" That's how it always starts. And then later, there's running and then...screaming."

"What? This? What did you think you were gonna document? What did you think you were gonna see?"
"Animals. Maybe...big iguanas."
" *sigh* Fruitcakes."

I've always liked 

Remember that chap about twenty years ago? I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live.

Reading it back seems kinda lame, but Postlethwaite just makes it so good.

I'd dare say Koeep is good at writing cool catchphrases or what you'd call the "trailer quotes", but he seems quite inconsistent. Of course, most of the time Hollywood scripwriters get handed a storyline and have to stick with it, even if it sucks. 

I'll admit he was clearly hamstrung on Indy IV to some extent, having the unenviable job of combining 15 years of story notes from Spielberg and Lucas into a single, logical script.

I don't think any writer stood a chance with that laundry list.

It could have been worse, John...a lot worse.

As for TLW, at first, I was fairly disappointed by the film and massively disappointed by the score, for many of the reasons already discussed. My opinion of the film has become slightly more charitable with nostalgia, while my opinion of the score has experienced a 180 degree shift. There's some really fantastic stuff in there.

I'm in the same boat as many others in being initially disappointed by TLW score. I remember being unimpressed by the new theme (although I always liked it's energy) and how little in stood in the film. It was many, many years later that I grew to love the score. I think it took me really exploring JW's whole body of work and growing to understand his style of action music and the features that made TLW unique like the percussion and dark music. Now it is one of my favorite JW scores that is always, ALWAYS fun to listen to.

• 3 years later...

So amazingly, 23 years after the film's release, photographic evidence has finally surfaced of a long-rumoured deleted scene involving the buck T-Rex smashing through the child's bedroom during the San Diego sequence. Turns out it was even more involved than speculated, with Spielberg's own daughter involved in the sequence:

Wasn't sure where else to post this but thought it was a cool tidbit of movie trivia that might interest people.

Presumably this was cut early in post because there's no indication Williams scored it.

On 12/4/2016 at 10:19 AM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

Thor, you do realize that you are the only one who thinks that. No one over the age of 10 has ever called The Lost World a GREAT movie.

It's a great DINOSAURS movie.

Good enough for me😁