The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Do we have some sort of guide to assembling these as they are intended? Or are they more or less there?

Also, what's the difference between the "Film Version" pieces in Jurassic Park and the original album presentations, aside from the obvious joining of cues?

11 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Do we have some sort of guide to assembling these as they are intended? Or are they more or less there?

Also, what's the difference between the "Film Version" pieces in Jurassic Park and the original album presentations, aside from the obvious joining of cues?

I think they had to change the names of some of the cues because they were released previously under different names. E.g. The History Lesson (Film Version) is just this cue, not the ones (Entrance of Mr. Hammond + The History Lesson) they combined on the 20th anniversary release. Again they could use the title Entrance of Mr. Hammond here as it wasn't previously used on any release. Or about like that the logic goes.

Matessino talked about this in regards to the Intrada Jaws release which also had some title changes and "film version" tacked at the end of some tracks for just such reason.

Since we got the film edit of the finale in the lost world... they could have made the T-Rex rescue film version too. For the people who likes that ending. There is a lot of space in the CD, and would be a neat intro for the alternate(ish) end credits.

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Since we got the film edit of the finale in the lost world... they could have made the T-Rex rescue film version too. For the people who likes that ending. There is a lot of space in the CD, and would be a neat intro for the alternate(ish) end credits.

Personally I have very little interest in either film edit as they could not be achieved very gracefully (attested by the TLW one very clearly). The way Williams originally wrote them is just perfect for me.

9 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I think they had to change the names of some of the cues because they were released previously under different names. E.g. The History Lesson (Film Version) is just this cue, not the ones (Entrance of Mr. Hammond + The History Lesson) they combined on the 20th anniversary release.

Ah, I see. That leaves "Welcome To Jurassic Park", which confuses me a little. What's the difference between the two on this set?

6 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Ah, I see. That leaves "Welcome To Jurassic Park", which sonfuses me a little. What's the difference between the two on this set?

I think because it is the exact same piece released again the title can be reused normally and the second one is the true film version with slightly different editing I guess.

As Jay said on the previous page:

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Extremely minor performance differences and edit points. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The Saving Dart - OH, wow.  That ending!  It seems to be a synth choir, which I found a little strange - maybe since no other cues in the score had choir, and Spielberg wasn't going to use this ending for the film, they never recorded it with a real choir, but did a synth choir as a demo?  Or was this Williams' intention to be synth choir?  I have to rewind and listen to this again.  OK, I really like the ending to this cue, it sets such an interesting and different town than the tracked in JP theme arrangement does.  But something is weird here.  It seems like there's an edit point right when it switches from what was on the OST to this part.  Huh.

No choir?

The island voice is performed with 'faux' chour synth througout the score. I said it years ago. All JP scores have choir, but TLW had it synth.

In the OST=raptors appear.

It's not true sampled choir but im sure the intention of Williams was to sound "choir-like"

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't really know why The T Rex Chase was joined into this in the same track.  I'll be separating it for sure after listening to it this way twice.

In the film the t-rex chase starts out just after falling car, even could be overlaped. Malcom opens his eyes when the falling car is fading out!

I think that's why they are joined even if it was not composed to segue into the other. At least they do not overlap.

Its not as if they joined two cues that are sepparated by a scene without music...

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

In the film the t-rex chase starts out just after falling car, even could be overlaped. Malcom opens his eyes when the falling car is fading out!

I think that's why they are joined even if it was not composed to segue into the other. At least they do not overlap.

Its not as if they joined two cues that are sepparated by a scene without music...

I wager Williams suggested these combinations for listening purposes. Luckily Matessino leaves a small pause between the cues so you can easily separate them if you want.

38 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

That was released already?

What's it like?

Not released. In fact, I'm guessing it's been cancelled. :(

It was scheduled for release in the fall but we haven't heard anything about it since the announcement last spring. :(:(

Maybe it has just been delayed. Also, the Maestro's score for Amistad has not had an expanded release yet, though that is another of his works I would love to get an expanded release. 

Anyway, I cannot wait to start listening to both of his Jurassic Park scores.

I just popped the JP DVD in, and really can't detect any material difference in the end credits. I think the film sounds different because their mix is so often mixed slightly differently. I've kept the 'film version''... because.

Although I was reminded of the abysmal edit over the birds. What possessed SS to do that, rather than just lengthening the previous shots by 4 seconds? Literally, lengthen each of the preceding shots by one second, and you keep JW's wonderful cue intact.

Just finished listening to JP in it's entirety. It makes a wonderful listening experience in its C&C form and somehow, even after over 2 decades sounded fresh to my ears. It was sort of jarring hearing the clean opening and endings to a lot of the cues at first. Have to agree though that the new music on JP isn't all that exciting (Race To The Dock being the exception). It's the presentation and sound quality that makes this release worthwhile for the first film.

Now, on to The Lost World... :D

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just sped up playback by 103% and suddenly everything sounds so familiar :P

(I've only ever seen JP via my PAL sped-up DVD)

One of the main reasons I jumped on to Blu-ray very early and one of the things no one seems to understand lol

So, I've noticed The Stegosaurus still has the fade out from the OST. Really hoping the same isn't true for The Hunt!

...Oh, so was the fade out on these two tracks a request from JW? It can't be as recorded because the fade in at the start of The Hunt has been dropped. A small issue but would still be interesting to know the thinking behind preserving the OST endings to these cues.

47 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

One of the main reasons I jumped on to Blu-ray very early and one of the things no one seems to understand lol

So, I've noticed The Stegosaurus still has the fade out from the OST. Really hoping the same isn't true for The Hunt!

...Oh, so was the fade out on these two tracks a request from JW? It can't be as recorded because the fade in at the start of The Hunt has been dropped. A small issue but would still be interesting to know the thinking behind preserving the OST endings to these cues.

Do the liner notes shed light on any of this?

48 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

There is a fade out for "The Hunt".  It's possible Williams did want it like that.

13 minutes ago, Trent B said:

There is a fade out for "The Hunt".  It's possible Williams did want it like that.

The Hunt and the Stegosaurus have diminuendo al fine and diminuendo poco a poco written at the end, which means they should be played by gradually getting softer and softer so I would say they were meant to slowly fade out. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of these music terms and recordings might know better if this is the case.

There's nothing wrong  with the way The Hunt (The Round Up) and the second cue inside The Stegosaurus (Finding The Baby)  end, either on the OST or here. This is how they're supposed to end. 

Now, the opening of The Hunt, though, is a different matter. That faded opening was something Williams did for the OST for listening experience I guess. It's actually intended to be segued into from the end of Corporate Choppers. I did so in my WAV editor last night and it sounded great. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There's nothing wrong  with the way The Hunt (The Round Up) and the second cue inside The Stegosaurus (Finding The Baby)  end, either on the OST or here. This is how they're supposed to end. 

Now, the opening of The Hunt, though, is a different matter. That faded opening was something Williams did for the OST for listening experience I guess. It's actually intended to be segued into from the end of Corporate Choppers. I did so in my WAV editor last night and it sounded great. 

Fair enough if that's how they are supposed to end. I assumed the situation was the same for the start and end of The Hunt.

What a great set!  I was thinking the "Dennis Steals the Embryo" might be JW's most unexpected style I have heard from him.  Very inventive.  I absolutely love the chord at 2:49 of "The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase".  JW's harmonic mastery is on full display in this set.  I am also very surprised by the overall darkness of the score.  So glad to have this in full fidelity and expanded.  I haven't yet heard The Lost World.

I remember in 1993 when this film came out thinking Spielberg was way too far into the cutesy stuff since we had Always, Hook, and other cheerful films.  I was expecting a bore fest and it totally shocked me with how intense it was.  It was like what Jaws felt like back in the 1970's.  Hearing this music in full presentation reminded me of what it was like back in 1993 to experience this for the first time.  Wonderful film and music!

"Remembering Petticoat Lane" reminds me of later works such as A.I. This seems to be a transitional work in JW's work list.  We get tastes of French/English impressionism that will be more prominent in later scores.  Brilliant score!

That ferocious ending of Ludlow's Speech is fantastic. I also love the track's continued usage of the island's voice theme.

The only issue I have with that track is the synth at 2:41. I don't how to describe it but it sounds a little off to me, like it doesn't fit in with the rest of the music. The best way I can describe how it sounds to me is kinda like a loud sound fx echo from a DVD rip. It is especially noticeable through headphones where it first enters on the left channel and then the right. I think the problem is that its mixed in too loud compared with the orchestra.

Maybe it's just me but it was quite jarring to me when I first heard the track. I have grown accustomed to it now though.

Man, the "In The Trailer" cue, with the the theme used in the baby Stegosaurus cue is some insane story telling by JW.  I assume that section would have scored placing the baby outside the trailer?

On 03/12/2016 at 2:15 AM, azahid said:

How does the cue  'The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase ' flow now that they match the film sequence. Was the silence edited for the start of the T-rex Chase before the brass drops a tone to indicate the start of the chase after afterIam says  Ím fairly alarmed'?

"The Falling Car" is allowed to finish almost completely - there's actually a bit more of the ending (just the tail of the ringing out of the final note) available on the OST or Anniversary Edition.  Interesting about that final chord: On the OST, there's a WICKED lout stage noise at one point.  On the 20th Anniversary Edition, Sullivan seemed to switch to a different take for just the final chord to avoid that noise; The take chosen has a bit of a different feel to it.  On the LLL, Matessino seems to have gone back to the original take, but managed to quiet the sound of the stage noise.

Anyway.

There is no silence between the 2 cues, as the T-Rex Chase music comes in before its done fully ringing out as I said.  So you could edit in the full final chord from the OST or 20th, add your own silence, and then start T-Rex Chase in its own track, which would actually match Williams' intentions.  The cues overlap in the film, but only because his cue was artificially edited/extended to loop the beginning part earlier than where JW spotted the cue to actually start.

Also how are the liner notes and I hope Mattessino goes into great detail. 

I haven't read them yet, but it does seem he does go into great detail, yes.  At first glance they seem to be more about the production of the film than the score, though.

21 hours ago, Gistech said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQVQ3-6XtN44Izw8DdfPboJ3UlFcCaRJLSd4IUkptki45UkHHYFMK65v59Wc5QhpIzsW_mTNCvTIXyd/pubhtml

1-02 Incident at Isla Nublar (Film Version) - the OST segued to "The Falling Car", this allows the full clean ending to play out

1-06 Hatching Baby Raptor (Film Version) - the OST segued to "Eggs in the Forest", this allows the full clean ending to play out

1-08 The History Lesson (Film Version) - the 20th Anniversary used this title for its combo of "The Entrance Of Mr. Hammond" /"The History Lesson"; this is now "The History Lesson" by itself

1-13 The Coming Storm (Film Version) - the 20th Anniversary used this title for its combo of "The Coming Storm" / "The T-Rex Chase / "The Encased Mosquito"; this is now "The Coming Storm" by itself

1-19 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (Film Version) - the OST segued to "An Ailing Monster", this allows the full clean ending to play out

2-10 Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version) - Extremely minor performance and edit point differences between the two versions

19 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

No choir?

The island voice is performed with 'faux' chour synth througout the score. I said it years ago. All JP scores have choir, but TLW had it synth.

In the OST=raptors appear.

It's not true sampled choir but im sure the intention of Williams was to sound "choir-like"

I'm confused by this post of yours.  I obviously know that "JP" has choir in its score.  But "TLW" doesn't.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand what he's on about.

I guess it is important to him to prove that there is choir in all JP scores. For some reason. Even if it is synth in TLW.

What became more apparent with the unreleased music is how Williams does use quite a bit of synths in supporting role in his scores and in this score in particular. All those little accents, "animal sounds" and synth vocals are more apparent in the complete score. Cool little things usually doubling acousting instruments or adding that otherwise unattainable sound to the whole fabric of the music. I seem to be able to hear those more clearly in JP too.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Man, the guitar work in the beginning of "Reading The Map" is groovy!

You mean the fender bass synth? Yeah groovy. Also those lower strings in several cues that work underneath the various percussion.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean the guitar work from 0:34-1:04ish

Synth marked "Fender bass". Cool none the less.

What puzzles me is how JW composed such a wonderful theme for this score and it ended up merely bookending the whole Isla Sorna adventure. Considering how much they tracked it in, Spielberg must have been too busy to discuss this stuff with JW before or during the sessions to have him rescore certain moments with it as the film is obviously going for a more heroic tone for many scenes where they drop the theme in.

JW was going for a darker mood with many of those moments. Which I actually love. Very atmospheric and very earthy tone with lots of deep brass and woodwinds and lower strings. The new music reveals how much of this kind of writing there is like in the music prior to Rescuing Sarah.

There's definitely live guitar being played there, Inky.  And a guitarist is credited in the AFM list

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's definitely live guitar being played there, Inky.  And a guitarist is credited in the AFM list

Well the score says otherwise in any case. And shouldn't that be a bass player as it is clearly bass being played and not a guitar? ;) 

It's typical to use the synth staves for miscellaneous instruments, synth or otherwise.
It sounds like it's being played live to me too but it's a bass guitar Jay and definitely not a regular guitar.