The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

It really is amazing how remastered both of the Maestro's scores are; in The Lost World for instance, in the film itself, I never detected some of the instrumentation of On the Glass, and now to here the richness of the recording is like hearing the score for the first time.

Then again, all of the Maestro's work is equally phenomenal. He truly is the greatest.

• 2 weeks later...

In my edit I kept The Lost World as track 1, and the alternate version at the end, but almost every time I've actually listened to the score I start with The Island's Voice and move The Lost World to the end (leaving out the alternate version). I also skip the JP theme.

I think your idea of adding The Lost World somewhere in the score could work well, kind of like how the TFA OST sequences the concert suites roughly where similar material is heard in the film.

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Yes, it does. Because it is the highlight of the tracking of that title in the movie 

!!!

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

In my edit I kept The Lost World as track 1, and the alternate version at the end

Ditto, and sometimes I may choose to skip track 1 and start right with The Island's Voice; Other times I may start with the theme and not listen to the Alternate at the end; Other times I listen to both as bookends.

I would never put the concert arrangement in the middle!

There are some scores where the concert tracks don't seem to fit at the end. I always have this problem with Star Wars scores in particular, because they have such a definitive beginning and end built into the score itself. That's why I mention TFA, because it seems more satisfying to have the concert tracks as interludes within the score than to hear them after the end credits wrap things up so wonderfully. I sometimes find myself listening to a score like ESB or AotC without the concert tracks, which I end up treating more like separate singles that I might just listen to on their own.

In the Lost World I like hearing the concert track at the end as a sort of end credits piece in itself, but I can see how you might sequence it a different way.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ditto, and sometimes I may choose to skip track 1 and start right with The Island's Voice; Other times I may start with the theme and not listen to the Alternate at the end; Other times I listen to both as bookends.

I would never put the concert arrangement in the middle!

I usually do that, too. But I just tried to listen to it in that special way, for somebody on this platform said, he had seen the movie and during the tracking of the main theme during the hunt scene he had thought "That's it, that's the new Jurassic Park theme!"

But it does not work, I have to admit:blush2:

On 14-2-2017 at 4:49 PM, Smeltington said:

I think your idea of adding The Lost World somewhere in the score could work well, kind of like how the TFA OST sequences the concert suites roughly where similar material is heard in the film.

That definitely worked very well on TFA. :)

I've read here before that JW likes to play the Jurassic Park theme faster in concert that it was on the original OST. Is that why its reprise at the end of TLW cd is played so damn fast its practically galloping for the shortest play time possible? The character of the cue changes so much when played so fast. It keeps the wonder and advenure but it loses that religiosity and reverence.  

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

He does indeed use a similar fast tempo in concerts. Completely mystifying to me...as you said, it totally changes the piece. I'd even go so far as to say it ruins it.

Yes it is one of those strange composer preferences that seems at odds with the nature of the piece itself.

Listening to the faster version of the Jurassic Park theme on TLW cd, I think I can hear why JW likes it this way. Although the sense of reverence is lost due to the faster tempo, my appreciation for the music itself, especially for the 2 major melodies is not harmed by the speed. In fact, it sounds a bit more musically fun at the faster speed. Something is lost, but at the same time something is also brought out more, maybe the melodies themselves.

It definitely changes the way the melody is heard and felt - unfortunately, it's not in a good way, at least for me. This is of those themes (like the Imperial March) that starts to sound cheesy to me if played too fast.

I've never been a fan of the speed-up. So much of the theme is in its reverence and religious sounding aspects.

The one part I do like is the faster bridge (I don't have TLW on this computer, but it's the equivalent bit to 3:20 in Welcome to JP). I think that section works well with more energy and excitement to it. I actually included the 'Finale' track in my playlist solely to include that statement.

4 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Listening to the faster version of the Jurassic Park theme on TLW cd, I think I can hear why JW likes it this way. Although the sense of reverence is lost due to the faster tempo, my appreciation for the music itself, especially for the 2 major melodies is not harmed by the speed. In fact, it sounds a bit more musically fun at the faster speed. Something is lost, but at the same time something is also brought out more, maybe the melodies themselves.

I like having both the slower and faster versions.

They're both different, which to me is better than having two performances that are too similar to each other.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

A heads up for those interested to read more discussion of the music as used (and unused) in the films:

I'm working on a score restore feature for both Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Expect to see the first videos somewhere in the next month.

Looking forward to them!

On 2/24/2017 at 7:23 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

A heads up for those interested to read more discussion of the music as used (and unused) in the films:

I'm working on a score restore feature for both Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Expect to see the first videos somewhere in the next month.

Awesome. I look forward to seeing that.

This might be a stretch, but you know that little trumpet stacatto in High Bar and Ceiling Ties that plays around 02:15 and then again at 02:55 (doubled in part with a clarinet)? Well, there's seems to be similar thing going on with the trumpets in the ending percussive section of Visitor in San Diego. Anyone think there might an intentional connection? It might be part of those "animal calls" Williams incoporated into the score, but I was thinking it could be a mini-motif we don't know about.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding JP3's cage sequence build-up, someone was suggesting it was tracked from TLW.

Well, I had T-Rex Rescue and Finale on in the car the other day, and when it came to this section, I realised it sounded exactly the same.

0:58 and 1:21

Would the JP3 music editors have had access to isolated percussion for the first score? Particularly if the 2013 anniversary release was the first time they went back to the tapes? The other possibility is that JW used stock percussion here.

Either way - LLL, please, please please include this in some way on your inevitable release. With all respect to Davis, his original cue for this bit is wrong for the tense buildup in the film. I wonder if the scene was changed, causing the music change.

Hmmm, is JP3 a highly sought after score around here? 

I own it, but I can't remember listening to it even once (except in the movie). Not particularly memorable, is it?

Come to think of it, (at this point) Jurassic Park is exactly like Jaws.

The first two were scored by the master himself (and are holy grails), the latter two were composed by two different composers, and those are okay but also kind of... meh. 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jaws 2 isn't as good as Jaws though.

But I see your point.

Just like TLW isn't quite as good as JP?

But I like all four scores... in slightly different ways. It's fair to say all 4 of these are among the very best from JW.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No it isn't. But I'm actually quite fond of Jaws: The Revenge score.

Karol

You got all 4 from Intrada? I only got the first 2. :P

I remember watching Jaws 3D once... and being shaken to the core.

Not because the movie was so scary, but because it was so abysmally bad.

I have better memories on Jaws Revenge (although of course it's nothing like the first two).

24 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Hmmm, is JP3 a highly sought after score around here? 

I own it, but I can't remember listening to it even once (except in the movie). Not particularly memorable, is it?

It's got enough good parts that some pretty comprehensive fan edits are floating around.

And LLL hinted very heavily that it's likely to come from them.

Hence it's worth discussing.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That is in no way a generally held opinion.

Not sure about generally, but I think many people think so... Or thought so when TLW was released.

Again, I'm not one of them, but I'm pretty sure more people think so than don't.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That is in no way a generally held opinion.

Yes, it is. You can't challenge any of the JP fanboys on this forum when it comes to this. The most you get is a sort of backhanded "The Lost World is good, too" compliment.

46 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

20 years ago, sure. But for many years now TLW is as respected or more than Jurassic Park.

Among the JW fans here? Yes, possibly (especially since to LLL JP boxset was released). Among the casual film music listeners and movie buffs? No way.