The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Ah, I see! Cool. Makes sense now. For a moment I thought it could be the pianist picking (or plucking?) the piano strings, like they do in contemporary concert music.

But I think the piano plays quite a bit apart from that but it's in a very low register, so I don't think the pianist got that bored :P

18 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Ah, I see! Cool. Makes sense now. For a moment I thought it could be the pianist picking (or plucking?) the piano strings, like they do in contemporary concert music.

Some do. John Cage's In the Name of the Holocaust and George Crumb's Makrokosmos come to mind. Henry Cowell's The Banshee is the quintessential example of piano string plucking.

In addition (but really, this is what we're supposed to be talking about), some modern composers have long planks built on hinges and springs so a pianist can press it down and produce a really large cluster range, like in Joseph Schwantner's Aftertones of Infinity.

14 minutes ago, Fal said:

It also shows up in the Compy stuff right?

I'll have to look at the score sheets again to make sure.

• 1 month later...
On 19/3/2017 at 9:40 PM, Sandyford1633 said:

I'm sure someone already pointed it out (read through a bit, but not all), but there are still at least two pieces I've noticed that are still missing from TLW: (1) The Hunt film version insert where Carter gets blasted through the vehicle by the Pachycephalosaurus, and (2) the Ripples film version. If it's already been pointed out, just disregard haha. I've made my own edits, as close to the film versions as I could get from what's most similar, just for my own personal enjoyment.

absolutely love these, especially The Lost World. Jurassic Park was one of the first movies I saw and the scores to that and Hook have been something I've been looking forward to since I was in kindergarten. I remember rewinding and re-rewinding the VHS tapes just to specifically try and listen to the music under everything else (i.e. the croc-clock scene lol) and making my family let the entire ending credit sequences play to the end so I could listen to the music.

On 19/3/2017 at 10:17 PM, Sandyford1633 said:

Which part is from "Visitor in San Diego"? I think you're talking about the percussion when Ludlow's chasing them up the ship? If so, I mean after that, there's a short little percussion piece in between the part from "Visitor..." and "Ludlow's Demise" used for the scene.

About the tracked music in the Pachy scene, the one you say goes between the tracked part from "Visitor..." and "Ludlow's Demise", could be the first part of "In The Trailer"?. I think nobody still in this post has answered to the question.

It's true that the percussion is very similar to the end of "Ripples", but still, as you remarked, the brass is not the same. I think the brass is more similar to that in "In The Trailer" (although probably is more high-pitched in the film? Or they tracked and pitched this part into the film.) The thing is that the 'melody' of the percussion still does not fit to me at all (I must say that it is very difficult to listen to it in the film adding other sound effects and dialogue).

• 2 months later...

Having listened to the set countless times by now I have noticed a strange little flub in JP Journey to the Island around 2:27-2:30. This might have been discussed before and I could have missed it but is there a problem with the pressing of the disc or is this just a performance issue in the take/edit between takes? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Having listened to the set countless times by now I have noticed a strange little flub in JP Journey to the Island around 2:27-2:30. This might have been discussed before and I could have missed it but is there a problem with the pressing of the disc or is this just a performance issue in the take/edit between takes? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

i dont hear anythinkg strange, what kind of flub do you mean?

It sounds like a small anomaly around 2:30, like a briefest distortion or slightly noticeable edit audible in the left headphone/speaker. But I can't unhear it so now it bothers my OCD Williams completist side. :P 

The little distortion is on the disc and not a CD ripping issue as I can clearly hear it when I play the disc on my CD player as well.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I hear it - It's a little 'nudge' sound. Didn't hear it before you mentioned it though :P

Exactly. So I am not crazy and hearing things.

And sorry for making you aware of it. Now it will haunt you too! :P 

Thought I heard something in that track while back as well.

Can't check now if it is the same timing though.

Was it there on the OST as well?

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Thought I heard something in that track while back as well.

Can't check now if it is the same timing though.

Was it there on the OST as well?

I think it isn't audible on the OST.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You mean that sound of a woodwind valve that occurs in nearly every orchestral piece, when you listen closely enough?

I don't think it is a woodwind valve. It sounds almost like the slightest distortion or as Rich says above, a little "nudge" in the left channel. Anyway I hadn't noticed it before this release and I have listened to this piece countless times since 1993.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

I don't think it is a woodwind valve. It sounds almost like the slightest distortion or as Rich says above, a little "nudge" in the left channel. Anyway I hadn't noticed it before this release and I have listened to this piece countless times since 1993.

In this case it isn't audible on my copy. I cranked up the volume, but I couldn't hear anything wrong.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

In this case it isn't audible on my copy. I cranked up the volume, but I couldn't hear anything wrong.

Consider yourself lucky then. :) 

Yea, the versions they ship out now have a different cover with the teeth in place.  I don't know if they'll ever tell us how many of each version went out.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

At one point did they fix the teeth?  The question is what percentage of the 5,000 were shipped without teeth and what percent were post-fix.

Well, a possible reissue will have teeth, so the toothless version will be outnumbered.

On 29/03/2017 at 1:38 PM, Muad'Dib said:

I've been meaning to ask: what's that instrument that does a sort of PLANK! at 2:17 in The Hunt? Is it a harp? An electric guitar? It plays for only that moment never to be heard again.

What is it?! It's been driving me nuts.

It's a piano palm cluster 8th note played sforzato. Probably the highest octave (C7-C8).

:lol: I'd love to see that as a performance marking on a written score: "Bang the piano like a toddler".

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I do, additionally I have the toothless version that will once be a rarity worth thousand of dollars.

Yes I also have the toothless edition. I was a victim of my JWFanhood as I had to have the set the moment it was released. If I had waited I would have had the toothy liner note cover!

No one was gonna take the chance on ordering it any later than the moment it was put on the site! :D

Not many people are going to see the toothless booklet cover and the most important thing is that the front CD cover has the teeth!

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Anyway, Steph offers to fix the booklets anyway!

I can't bring myself to defile the booklet, no matter how convincing the restoration looks! 

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes I also have the toothless edition. I was a victim of my JWFanhood as I had to have the set the moment it was released. If I had waited I would have had the toothy liner note cover!

Then I must have been lucky, because I was also fast to order the set once it came out but my booklet cover is totally toothy! :P

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if Harry will be missing his teeth on the upcoming Harry Potter boxset cover?

We don't even think of the possiblity that this is not gonna happen.:thumbup:

On 4.8.2017 at 10:47 PM, Romão said:

I think since we have Internet, The Lost World is the JW that gained the most from an expanded release.

So has A.I., don't you think?