The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Purely by time, I would think Indiana Jones 2 and Return of the Jedi have had the most unreleased music released, since their OSTs were so short and their complete scores are so long.

By re-evaluating the score in a new way because of a new presentation, I think A.I. wins, followed by The Lost World, but that's a subjective thing and will differ from person to person.  I also never really "got" 1941 until the complete score was released.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Purely by time, I would think Indiana Jones 2 and Return of the Jedi have had the most unreleased music released, since their OSTs were so short and their complete scores are so long.

By re-evaluating the score in a new way because of a new presentation, I think A.I. wins, followed by The Lost World, but that's a subjective thing and will differ from person to person.  I also never really "got" 1941 until the complete score was released.

Harry Potter 1, 3 and Indy 2, 3 also will surprise everyone (again) one day.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I assume you mean the people who don't have the sessions?

Yes. People like me.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The sessions for both 1 and 2 have leaked, only 3 hasn't (4-8 all did too)

All except 3? Well, that's bad-luck.:lol:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The person who got that cue got no other cues from the sessions, unfortunately.

Isn't that cue basically just Anakin v Obi-Wan from the OST, without the microedits?

Wonder if it might be from the rumoured OST prototype, before JW's edits.

I'm not familiar enough with ROTS to know which session cues are used in which album tracks

The early prototype track list had I Am The Senate as the extra track

This didn't come from that, it came from the sessions

OST Track 9 Anakin v Obi-Wan is just 6M4 Heroes Collide with some trademark Williams microedits. It's only missing about 30 seconds though.

Nice to know some lucky people out there have the sessions... if they're really nice, maybe they could leak Padme's Funeral? :)

• 1 month later...

I compared the wave forms of the three 'versions' of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" (from the OST and from the LLL album, both versions) using GarageBand. Despite the minor edition in the Film Version which finally I could notice, am I wrong or the 'standard' versions in both albums are also different? Different takes? Anyone also noticed this?

I've never really understood the differences between all those tracks. I assume they're just different takes, with MM including the film version and the OST version on the LLL release to render the OST obsolete.

Actually I don't get the point to include in the album that particular "Film Version" since the only difference seems to be a tiny edit point. A true Film Version would have been, for instance, including the tracked part of "Rememembering Petticoat lane" and removing the small parts which are not really used in the film. To me is like they are 3 different takes (or at least 2 + 1 edition of being this one the LLL's "Film Version") and the "Film Version" is only there to fill the CD.

Was Remembering Petticoat Lane always intended to be tracked into that final shot of Hammond looking back at the island? Hard to believe Williams always intended that, and for tracked music to so perfectly fit two completely separate scenes (yet two scenes that are quite thematically related).

I wonder if he transposed the existing sheet music for an unrecorded latter cue, before realising they could just track what they'd already recorded in Remembering Petticoat Lane? Seems an unusual practice for Williams, unless he was under some time constraints.

The version of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" in the main program is definitely all the same takes as was chosen for the original album.

The version of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" as the final track of CD2 is definitely the exact same takes and edit points between them as used in the final film.

What the difference is between these takes eludes me, honestly; I think the piano towards the end is different between the two, but sometimes I second guess myself.

It's really there to end the whole set with some sense of finality, instead of ending the set with Cartoon Demonstration.

If I had been consulted, I would have suggested putting the complete score on disc 1 and the full original album on disc 2 w/ Cartoon Demonstration there, like this:

CD 1 - THE COMPLETE MOTION PICTURE SCORE
1 Opening Titles (0:38)
2 Incident at Isla Nublar (Film Version) (2:25)
3 The Encased Mosquito (1:16)
4 Entrance of Mr. Hammond (1:10)
5 Journey to the Island (8:56)
6 Hatching Baby Raptor (Film Version) (2:05)
7 You Bred Raptors? (0:40)
8 The History Lesson (Film Version) (1:34)
9 Jurassic Park Gate (2:05)
10 Goat Bait (2:26)
11 The Saboteur (0:48)
12 Ailing Triceratops (2:36)
13 The Coming Storm (Film Version) (1:26)
14 Dennis Steals the Embryo (5:05)
15 Race to the Dock (1:18)
16 The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase (4:59)
17 A Tree for My Bed (2:14)
18 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:49)
19 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (Film Version) (1:51)
20 Life Finds a Way (1:26)
21 System Ready (0:49)
22 To the Maintenance Shed (4:12)
23 High Wire Stunts (4:10)
24 Hungry Raptor (2:09)
25 The Raptor Attack (2:51)
26 T-Rex Rescue and Finale (7:43)
27 Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version) (8:01)
Total Time: 77:44

CD 2 - THE ORIGINAL 1993 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
1 Opening Titles (0:33)
2 Theme from Jurassic Park (3:27)
3 Incident at Isla Nublar (5:20)
4 Journey to the Island (8:53)
5 The Raptor Attack (2:49)
6 Hatching Baby Raptor (3:21)
7 Welcome to Jurassic Park (7:55)
8 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (4:16)
9 Dennis Steals the Embryo (4:56)
10 A Tree for My Bed (2:12)
11 High-Wire Stunts (4:09)
12 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:48)
13 Jurassic Park Gate (2:04)
14 Eye to Eye (6:32)
15 T-Rex Rescue & Finale (7:40)
16 End Credits (3:25)
Total Time: 70:17

BONUS TRACK
17 Stalling Around (2:36)

Total Disc time: 72:53

Total Two-Disc Time: 150:37

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Was Remembering Petticoat Lane always intended to be tracked into that final shot of Hammond looking back at the island? Hard to believe Williams always intended that, and for tracked music to so perfectly fit two completely separate scenes (yet two scenes that are quite thematically related).

I wonder if he transposed the existing sheet music for an unrecorded latter cue, before realising they could just track what they'd already recorded in Remembering Petticoat Lane? Seems an unusual practice for Williams, unless he was under some time constraints.

You're way overthinking it!  Williams simply never scored the scene.  His "T-Rex To The Rescue" cue ends with the "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth" banner falling down as the T-Rex roars, and his "End Credits" cue begins with the close-up shot of the fly in Hammond's amber cane tip.  If the cut of the film he scored to had the scene of Hammond looking back between those two shots or not, we'll probably never know; It was either there and him and Spielberg initially agreed it needed no music, or it wasn't there at the time so Williams never even saw it let alone wrote music for it.  George Lucas handled some post production, he could have inserted the scene for all we know.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

If the cut of the film he scored to had the scene of Hammond looking back between those two shots or not, we'll probably never know; It was either there and him and Spielberg initially agreed it needed no music, or it wasn't there at the time so Williams never even saw it let alone wrote music for it.  

That hadn't occurred to me, but it's probably an obvious explanation. Perhaps during spotting they felt the film needed a musical break after 7 minutes of T-Rex Rescue and Finale and the Hammond moment was never intended to be scored.

It was a brilliant decision to track in music there though, which fits like a glove. I hate to give him credit, but that actually has George Lucas's fingerprints on it.

Oh, 100% agreed there. It only belongs if the cue was actually recorded twice, specifically for the ending (which it wasn't).

Would be interesting to watch that scene without music though, to see how it works with only the dinosaurs roaring in the distance. Attenborough's acting is great there.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The version of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" in the main program is definitely all the same takes as was chosen for the original album.

The version of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" as the final track of CD2 is definitely the exact same takes and edit points between them as used in the final film.

What the difference is between these takes eludes me, honestly; I think the piano towards the end is different between the two, but sometimes I second guess myself.

It's really there to end the whole set with some sense of finality, instead of ending the set with Cartoon Demonstration.

If I had been consulted, I would have suggested putting the complete score on disc 1 and the full original album on disc 2 w/ Cartoon Demonstration there, like this:

CD 1 - THE COMPLETE MOTION PICTURE SCORE
1 Opening Titles (0:38)
2 Incident at Isla Nublar (Film Version) (2:25)
3 The Encased Mosquito (1:16)
4 Entrance of Mr. Hammond (1:10)
5 Journey to the Island (8:56)
6 Hatching Baby Raptor (Film Version) (2:05)
7 You Bred Raptors? (0:40)
8 The History Lesson (Film Version) (1:34)
9 Jurassic Park Gate (2:05)
10 Goat Bait (2:26)
11 The Saboteur (0:48)
12 Ailing Triceratops (2:36)
13 The Coming Storm (Film Version) (1:26)
14 Dennis Steals the Embryo (5:05)
15 Race to the Dock (1:18)
16 The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase (4:59)
17 A Tree for My Bed (2:14)
18 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:49)
19 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (Film Version) (1:51)
20 Life Finds a Way (1:26)
21 System Ready (0:49)
22 To the Maintenance Shed (4:12)
23 High Wire Stunts (4:10)
24 Hungry Raptor (2:09)
25 The Raptor Attack (2:51)
26 T-Rex Rescue and Finale (7:43)
27 Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version) (8:01)
Total Time: 77:44

CD 2 - THE ORIGINAL 1993 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
1 Opening Titles (0:33)
2 Theme from Jurassic Park (3:27)
3 Incident at Isla Nublar (5:20)
4 Journey to the Island (8:53)
5 The Raptor Attack (2:49)
6 Hatching Baby Raptor (3:21)
7 Welcome to Jurassic Park (7:55)
8 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (4:16)
9 Dennis Steals the Embryo (4:56)
10 A Tree for My Bed (2:12)
11 High-Wire Stunts (4:09)
12 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:48)
13 Jurassic Park Gate (2:04)
14 Eye to Eye (6:32)
15 T-Rex Rescue & Finale (7:40)
16 End Credits (3:25)
Total Time: 70:17

BONUS TRACK
17 Stalling Around (2:36)

Total Disc time: 72:53

Total Two-Disc Time: 150:37

This would have been a great idea!

I somehow feel they just put an edited Welcome to Jurassic Park on the second disc in order to fill the free space. The result is: 8 min Welcome to Jurassic Park + 3 min Jurassic Park Theme + 8 min Welcome to Jurassic Park which drives you dull. 

Your solution, Jay, would have been much better, since it contains the C&C without that annoying redundance at the end and satysfies the OST fans. The second score has no space left for the OST, but the C&C is such a good listening experience. It does not really need the OST program on it.

Thanks, I like my version too!

Perhaps if the 4CD set sells out and they want to reissue each score separately, they can do JP this way.

Well it is not too difficult to recreate that playlist from the digital files. Unless you are a die-hard CD guy/gal who doesn't listen to this stuff in digital form. 

But admittedly the labels sometimes do curious choices with their assemblies. E.g. Intrada with The Rocketeer where they reprise the exact same source songs in the film score and on the 2nd disc OST presentation causing the complete score to spill on the second CD when it would have fitted on a single disc is a bit baffling. I guess it is a similar case here with JP.

The Rocketeer, Starship Troopers, and Jurassic Park completed a trifecta last year of three different labels putting out a score that was under 80 minutes, yet spread over 2 discs.  It was odd.

I think in JP's case they probably thought that the extras alone wouldn't be enough to warrant a 2nd disc but didn't want to reprise the OST on it for whatever reason and thus split the score in the middle.

I think the problem is with Cartoon Demonstration included, the complete score is over 79 minutes, and I think that is their cutoff point.

That is why my solution is to move Cartoon Demonstration to disc 2, after the OST, instead!

For Starship Troopers, they seemed to think the music-editor-created End Credits blob needed to be part of the main program, pushing its "complete score" over 80 minutes.  But if they had used that to end disc 2 instead, they could have put the complete score on disc 1, the original album on disc 2 (with the much different Klendathu Drop), and then all the alternates and the extra Zoey song after the OST, ending the whole disc with the music editor's end credits medley.

For The Rocketeer, all they had to do was not mix in the pop songs and the love theme concert arrangement into the flow of the main score.  Then, the complete score fits on disc 1, disc 2 can be the OST (which includes the Love Theme), and even has room to be followed by the "film mix" (which don't sound different to me anyway) of the songs.  The play music swashbuckling source cue can go on either disc.

Yeah, there's been a number of odd sequencing choices on recent label releases, when ideas like those expressed in this thread make a lot more sense. Especially, personally, for Jurassic Park. As much as I love the LLL release, I feel like JP has always been plagued with redundant end credits music lol. On the OST they did that extremely odd cut/paste job of "End Credits" and putting the full version in the middle of the album instead. Why? It was a complete waste of space that could have been used for, well, ANYTHING else. However, I think LLL adding a full, virtually identical version of the full end credits made less sense. They should have just used the OST "End Credits" edit, because at least then it would have been shorter. Either way, it's minor quibbling but still silly to me that they basically were forced to do it because it was what Williams wanted. But hey, as long as he doesn't ask to NOT include music anymore, I am all for pointless additions of almost the exact same music, lol.

I actually LOVE Jason's idea of sequencing the original album on Disc 2 instead with the "Cartoon Demonstration" as a bonus. I am a little attached to some of the album sequencing and edits, even with the complete score. Call it nostalgia, I guess. So it would have been nice to have that version of the score present just for that kind of experience. If there was room, I would actually include the concert version of "My Friend The Brachiosaurus" since Williams added an extra intro and etc to it. I know people say "but that's not from the film!", but we do have a recording of it Williams did with "Williams On Williams". Besides, now we're getting ride music with E.T., so why not concert versions, too, as long as Williams himself is the one with the baton?

Actually, if they had thought of something like this, in the program of 2CDs that they chose, they could have nixed the pointless film version of the credits music and replace it with both the "My Friend The Brachiosaurus" concert version and then the concert version of "Theme From Jurassic Park" that is essentially the faster credits music with the "finale" statement at the end. Hey, at least it would have been different.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I think in JP's case they probably thought that the extras alone wouldn't be enough to warrant a 2nd disc but didn't want to reprise the OST on it for whatever reason and thus split the score in the middle.

It's the exact opposite with E.T.. There are too many extras to spread the complete score presentation over 2 discs. It would be a bit odd if just the End Credits were on the second disc, followed by the OST. On the other hand you cannot put the last third on disc two, because disc two is already full.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

For The Rocketeer, all they had to do was not mix in the pop songs and the love theme concert arrangement into the flow of the main score.  Then, the complete score fits on disc 1, disc 2 can be the OST (which includes the Love Theme), and even has room to be followed by the "film mix" (which don't sound different to me anyway) of the songs.  The play music swashbuckling source cue can go on either disc.

It was very well made with Rosewood!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks, I like my version too!

Perhaps if the 4CD set sells out and they want to reissue each score separately, they can do JP this way.

I have thought of that too: What are they gonna do, if they want to reissue the scores?

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's the exact opposite with E.T.. There are too many extras to spread the complete score presentation over 2 discs. It would be a bit odd if just the End Credits were on the second disc, followed by the OST. On the other hand you cannot put the last third on disc two, because disc two is already full.

Similarly done on Intrada's Return To Oz release (a score that no one here seems to really care about, which is a shame), except there was a track preceding the credits too. Then it goes into alternates and ends with the OST which they definitely needed to include (it features alternate performances/versions/mixing that in some cases are superior to the film versions and Intrada's mixing of the film tracks). Perhaps it was the only way to do it in that case to include as much as they wanted (but still leaving off bits that they claimed were done editorially when they were clearly alternates; yeah I am certainly criticizing them), but it still was an odd way to start the second disc.

I guess in the end, we all rearrange things however we want anyway these days; the art of album sequencing on these releases is likely going by the wayside. Their main task is just to fill in the space with as much as they can and at least make it LOOK presentable and full.

Hey. I love Return to Oz. The Intrada release has poor sound quality, missing music and weird sequencing. We need a better version. Thankfully, the original album sounds better than almost everything and is perfect.

I thought the sound quality itself was good, it was the mixing that I thought was wrong at times. Especially on "Flight In The Storm" when the organ comes in, it was just not mixed right at all. But on the album, the same music with the organ sounded amazing.

The parade scene sounds atrocious. I also remember hearing weird anomalies toward the end of The Ruined House. Mombi's Mandolin is in bootleg quality, yet it's sequenced in with the score. I would like to have been able to remove the tunnel charges with ease. Another thing is that while most of the tracks are of a reasonable length, the finale is all combined in a whopper 10+ minute track. Being very accustomed to the sound of the original album, which is definitive stuff as far as these movie scores go, the sound on the expanded score was pretty lousy to my ears.

5 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The parade scene sounds atrocious. I also remember hearing weird anomalies toward the end of The Ruined House. Mombi's Mandolin is in bootleg quality, yet it's sequenced in with the score. I would like to have been able to remove the tunnel charges with ease. Another thing is that while most of the tracks are of a reasonable length, the finale is all combined in a whopper 10+ minute track. Being very accustomed to the sound of the original album, which is definitive stuff as far as these movie scores go, the sound on the expanded score was pretty lousy to my ears.

Well if the better materials aren't available the labels can't do much about it.

22 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Did LLL ever release the high res individual art work for Digital Libraries of the individual titles?

Only JP, not TLW  that I ever saw :(

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They released the Jurassic Park cover but not the Lost World cover, for whatever bizarre reason.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Only TLW, not JP that I ever saw :(

Well... which is it?