The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

On 12/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, Chewy said:

I just found that petition on the internet: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/959/887/600/release-the-expanded-scores-from-jurassic-park-i-amp-ii-the-lost-world-in-pre-remaster-quality/.

Looking at the text, I guess you are the one who created it (who else can be bothered by the 1 second of silence at the start of some tracks...?)

Just for information, Mike did not use "snippets of additional takes [...] to remove "studio" noise in places" for the LLL 2016 release, that was actually done by Ramiro Belgardt for the 20th Anniversary 2013 release of Jurassic Park. The LLL release presents all the takes chosen by Williams and used in the movie.

And by the way, if you want more supporters, I'd suggest to do a petition for Star Wars complete releases instead!

???...

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

On 12/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, Chewy said:

@CuriousMan I just found that petition on the internet: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/959/887/600/release-the-expanded-scores-from-jurassic-park-i-amp-ii-the-lost-world-in-pre-remaster-quality/.

Looking at the text, I guess you are the one who created it (who else can be bothered by the 1 second of silence at the start of some tracks...?)

Just for information, Mike did not use "snippets of additional takes [...] to remove "studio" noise in places" for the LLL 2016 release, that was actually done by Ramiro Belgardt for the 20th Anniversary 2013 release of Jurassic Park. The LLL release presents all the takes chosen by Williams and used in the movie.

And by the way, if you want more supporters, I'd suggest to do a petition for Star Wars complete releases instead!

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

On 12/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, John Chambers said:

That might be the stupidest internet petition I've ever seen!

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

And via Ebay apparently:

Please sign this pension for Universal to these scores as rare archival releases on Ebay

It gets funnier the more times you read it, with language I haven't seen even from Bruce Marshall.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:22 AM, Chewy said:

@CuriousMan I just found that petition on the internet: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/959/887/600/release-the-expanded-scores-from-jurassic-park-i-amp-ii-the-lost-world-in-pre-remaster-quality/.

Who else?

Lets see now...hmmmm

Bellosh

Jay

Penna

Shark

Fart

Holko...

Shall I go on? 😎

12 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Oh man, reading that pension* was so entertaining :lol:

Please sign this pension for Universal

:eh:And FTR, I did not make that gibberish pension, period!!:eh:

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Does the pre-remastered edition include those two awful covers from the petition?

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

19 hours ago, Chewy said:

You forgot the question before the "?".

:eh:And FTR, I did not make that gibberish pension, period!!:eh:

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey @CuriousMan, knock it off with the report feature. No one in this thread is breaking any rules. Don't take things so seriously! 

Did Jay just say what I think he said?!

Evolve...evolve.😍

• 1 month later...

Does Anyone have a higher res album art for 'The Lost World' art from this set? The highest I can find is 600 X 600?:
The Lost World_ Jurassic Park - The Complete Score.jpeg

HQ covers has a pretty good rebuild (below) but there are some differences and I'd love a good quality version of Jim Titus' work.

jurassicpark2_7 (2).jpeg

I think it was posted once then taken down. There's a link earlier in the thread but it was broken last time I checked. I think LLL actually supplied it because people asked for HQ versions of both covers. 

Maybe Jim Titus could assist? He might even have posted it on his Behance page. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Maybe Jim Titus could assist? He might even have posted it on his Behance page. 

I checked his behance this morning, unfortunately it isn't posted there but there is a terrific in depth page on the set: https://www.behance.net/gallery/57863925/Welcome-(Back)-to-Jurassic-Park

• 3 months later...

I'd be interested in hearing Ripples deconstructed for piano to understand the relevance of that cue title. I can't really hear the relevance in its film orchestrated form.

The Steiner in the Grass homage, on the other hand, is very obvious.

It's hard to believe 5 years have passed since this fantastic 

set was released. I'm still not familiar with the unreleased tracks. On the Spotify side of things I find myself dipping my toes into all sorts and never really seem to get to know anything fully because there is such a glut of choice. 

What interests me about JP is how roughly a two thirds of the score could almost be described as low key. Its a different planet with the TLW which illustrates Williams' genius at scoring sequels. 

There has been talk on this thread of different motifs which I'm not familiar with. Can I ask if anyone has a list of themes and motifs from both movies with timestamps? These scores are slowly opening up to me after having been used to only the original soundtrack albums. A joyous process of familiar/unfamiliar re-discovery. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Electric Fence theme is used in three back-to-back-to-back cues for the electric fence

• 2-02 To The Maintenance Shed 3:50-end
  • 2-03 High Wire Stunts 0:00-0:52, 1:27-1:55. 3:19-3:23
  • 2-04 Hungry Raptor 0:33-0:37, 0:42-0:53

The Falling Car?

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The Falling Car?

You're talking about 1:02-2:49 right?

Is that the same theme?

1 minute ago, blondheim said:

@Jay are those the official titles for those themes?

I don't think any theme has an "official" title, does it?  It's always just names fans give to them, even if they are paid to write liner notes for a specialty label

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're talking about 1:02-2:49 right?

Is that the same theme?

Of course, 1:09 (!) is basically the same as the beginning of High Wire Stunts.

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

The JP scores don't actually have a lot of themes, and many cues are completely non-thematic

The Main Theme is sort of oddly titled, because it's only used for the big dinosaur reveal and one other scene, and then the end credits.  In TLW it cameos in the final scene only and then the 1993 concert arrangement got re-recorded for the end credits

• 1-05 Journey To The Island 5:07-7:33, 8:01-8:22
  • 1-17 A Tree For My Bed 0:30-1:09, 1:20-1:42
  • 2-07 Welcome to Jurassic Park 0:00-4:27, 6:39-7:15
  • 2-08 Theme From Jurassic Park 0:47-3:13 (this is the same recording as Journey to the Island 5:07-7:33)
  • 4-12 Tranquilizer Dart 1:53-2:29
  • 4-13 Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits) 0:00-3:01

The Adventure Theme is actually the theme used much more frequently in the films.  It JP it's usually a general "pump up the excitement"  type use, in TLW it usually is for scenes that harken back to the park on the original island

• 1-05 Journey To The Island 1:21-3:15, 3:30-3:35, 4:03-4:12
  • 1-08 The History Lesson 0:23-1:03
  • 1-09 Jurassic Park Gate 0:41-0:59
  • 2-02 To The Maintenance Shed 0:50-1:10, 1:29-1:44
  • 2-06 T-Rex Rescue and Finale 2:27-2:36, 3:20-3:49
  • 2-07 Welcome to Jurassic Park 4:30-6:33
  • 3-03 Revealing The Plans 1:44-end
  • 3-09 Spilling Petrol and Horning In 3:09-3:38
  • 3-15 The Trek 1:22-1:31
  • 4-03 Finding Camp Jurassic 1:11-1:20, 1:27-1:48, 2:31-2:42
  • 4-09 Monster on the Loose 0:40-0:50
  • 4-10 Visitor In San Diego 2:28-2:36
  • 4-13 Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits) 3:01-5:03

The Danger Theme represents the threats in the first film, so mostly the raptors, but also the T-Rex.  It makes two cameos in TLW when characters talk about raptors

• 1-01 Opening Titles 0:18-end
  • 1-05 Journey To The Island 8:22-8:28
  • 1-06 Hatching Baby Raptor 0:24-1:00, 1:17-end (I believe this is debated whether its an uplifting version of the danger theme or not)
  • 1-09 Jurassic Park Gate 0:00-0:13
  • 1-16 The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase 3:13-3:27, 3:32-3:36, 3:48-3:51, 4:07-4:16, 4:27-4:30
  • 2-03 High Wire Stunts 0:52-0:55, 2:33-2:40, 3:52-3:56
  • 2-04 Hungry Raptor 0:02-0:33, 0:37-0:42, 0:53-end
  • 2-05 The Raptor Attack 0:11-0:15, 0:37-0:44, 2:04-2:08, 2:20-2:28, 2:32-2:36
  • 2-06 T-Rex Rescue and Finale 0:07-0:19, 0:36-0:41, 1:07-1:11, 1:25-1:30, 2:09-2:11, 3:06-3:10, 4:37-4:58, 6:19-6:22, 6:28-6:34, 6:56-7:03
  • 2-07 Welcome to Jurassic Park 7:15-end
  • 3-03 Revealing The Plans 1:10-1:19
  • 3-14 Reading The Map 1:41-2:01

The Electric Fence theme is used in three back-to-back-to-back cues for the electric fence

• 2-02 To The Maintenance Shed 3:50-end
  • 2-03 High Wire Stunts 0:00-0:52, 1:27-1:55. 3:19-3:23
  • 2-04 Hungry Raptor 0:33-0:37, 0:42-0:53

The Lost World Theme is only actually used when the heroes arrive at and depart the island, and then quietly in the finale before getting a full concert arrangement for the end credits

• 3-01 The Lost World 0:14-end (this track is actually Williams' original end credits)
  • 3-04 To The Island 0:49-3:10
  • 4-06 Heading North 1:26-end
  • 4-12 Tranquilizer Dart 0:53-1:53
  • 4-14 The Lost World 0:14-end (this is the same recording as 3-01) (the 0:00-0:14 part is a later insert that replaced the original opening)

The Lost World's Danger Theme functions the same as the first film's danger theme did, representing danger and threats

• 3-02 The Island's Voice 0:16-0:36, 3:09-3:17
  • 3-06 Fire at Camp and Corporate Helicopters 1:52-2:15, 3:01-end
  • 3-08 Big Feet 0:23-0:27, 0:36-0:42
  • 3-10 Up In A Basket 1:46-1:59
  • 4-04 The Raptors Appear
  • 4-05 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles 
  • 4-07 Ludlow's Speech
  • 4-08 The Wrecked Ship
  • 4-09 Monster on the Loose
  • 4-10 Visitor In San Diego
  • 4-12 Tranquilizer Dart 2:29-end

The Baby Dinosaur Theme is used for the baby Stegosaurus and the baby T-Rex

• 3-05 The Stegosaurus 2:40-4:00
  • 3-09 Spilling Petrol and Horning In 2:20-2:43, 4:19-4:28, 4:50-end
  • 3-11 In The Trailer 0:43-1:52

Thankyou once more for your inexhaustible knowledge! 

To my way of thinking, it doesn't really represent anything in particular, @Jay. Just a melody he liked using for moments of worry and tension.

Incidentally, in my brain, I tend to use the following unofficial theme names:

• main theme = Jurassic Park theme
  • adventure theme = island fanfare
  • danger theme = carnivores' theme
  • electric fence theme = ??? I guess if I had to give it a name, I might call it the worry motif or something
  • The Lost World theme = The Lost World theme
  • TLW danger theme = island's voice (theme)
  • baby dinosaur theme = ...yeah, probably the same name

That's an album title for a track containing two cues inside it (1M1 Incident at Isla Nublar and 9M1 The Falling Car)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's an album title for a track containing two cues inside it (Incident at Isla Nublar and The Falling Car)

I know that. I am saying the theme for the Falling Car stuck in my mind with that title because it was the first track I heard with the theme and as a kid studying soundtrack albums, that's how it got labeled since the title umbrella-ed the High-Wire Stunts sequence, technically another "incident."  I'm not saying it's scholarly, it is just the Incident at Isla Nublar theme for me.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The JP scores don't actually have a lot of themes, and many cues are completely non-thematic

@Jay's encyclopedic knowledge never fails to impress!

I think there may be a few other minor bits and pieces that are loosely thematic across JP1 and 2. There's the Hatching Baby Raptor material which is recalled in Life Finds A Way pretty directly. And the Ludlow material and its derivatives in JP2 that pops up in a couple cues. Also a little brass outburst in Rescuing Sarah that recurs in Rialto Ripples, but this is really stretching the definition of "theme"

Then again, who could forget the assortment of monstrous growls and grunts like this that are so important to the distinctive texture of Jurassic Park.

Monstrous Growls - Full Score.png

Assembling a catalogue of JP1 & 2's themes and textures is probably next on my to do list...

5 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

There's the Hatching Baby Raptor material which is recalled in Life Finds A Way pretty directly.

Good point!

And the Ludlow material and its derivatives in JP2 that pops up in a couple cues.

What is this referring to?

Also a little brass outburst in Rescuing Sarah that recurs in Rialto Ripples, but this is really stretching the definition of "theme"

IIRC the orchestra had trouble playing some passages in TLW and Williams had to throw out what he wrote for some cues and bring in pieces from cues they had been able to handle instead.  You can see the photocopied passages in the sheet music leak.  So yea, not really themes, just a side effect of circumstance

Then again, who could forget the assortment of monstrous growls and characteristic harmonies like this that are so important to the distinctive texture of Jurassic Park.

I can't read music so I don't know what this is

Assembling a catalogue of JP1 & 2's themes and textures is probably next on my to do list...

I look forward to it!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What is this referring to?

It's that kind of repeated note pattern followed by a sweep up and back to the beginning that starts showing up all over JW's action scores. In TLW, I think it's in three distinct tracks: Monster on the Loose, Visitor in San Diego, and Ludlow's Demise. (Not sure what the break down is in terms of cues though.) In its first iterations it's wedded to that stomping B-D-F#-D ostinato which I suppose is also very lightly motivic. A few examples:

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

IIRC the orchestra had trouble playing some passages in TLW and Williams had to throw out what he wrote for some cues and bring in pieces from cues they had been able to handle instead.  You can see the photocopied passages in the sheet music leak.  So yea, not really themes, just a side effect of circumstance

Wow, didn't know that!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Stuff like this -- 

Similar idea, but extremely low:

Similar idea, but extremely high:

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here's a suggestion, in no way meant to be condescending: why not spend a bit of time to learn to read music notation? You're a musical person and will learn it in no time. The best way to learn it is through learning to play an instrument. May I suggest the piano, since that's a one-man orchestra in itself.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

IIRC the orchestra had trouble playing some passages in TLW and Williams had to throw out what he wrote for some cues and bring in pieces from cues they had been able to handle instead. 

Wow! I didn't know this either. Have the original pages ever leaked, before the photocopies replaced it?

That could explain why that passage is repeated about 3-4 times throughout the score.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

May I suggest the piano, since that's a one-man orchestra in itself.

Not everyone has room for a piano!

2 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Wow, didn't know that!

I'll put together a list showing what I'm talking about

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow! I didn't know this either. Have the original pages ever leaked, before the photocopies replaced it?

Sadly, no.  The sheet music leak only has versions with the re-used passages photocopied in in place of whatever was originally there.  In fact, it's possible the original passages were never orchestrated and only exist on JW's original sketches.

A leak of his original sketches would be glorious, as people could make mockups of what he originally intended instead of re-used passages

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think Jay has.

Does Jay have room for a pipe organ? That's a good way to learn music.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

A leak of his original sketches would be glorious, as people could make mockups of what he originally intended instead of re-used passages

Indeed! That's a very cool tidbit.

What a shame, considering JW was on fire writing that score, with all the deliciously dark fanfares and so forth.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The Baby Dinosaur Theme is used for the baby Stegosaurus and the baby T-Rex

• 3-05 The Stegosaurus 2:40-4:00
  • 3-09 Spilling Petrol and Horning In 2:20-2:43, 4:19-4:28, 4:50-end
  • 3-11 In The Trailer 0:43-1:52

4-10 Visitor in san Diego: 2:50-2:58.

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

Then again, who could forget the assortment of monstrous growls and grunts like this that are so important to the distinctive texture of Jurassic Park.

Doesn't this motif even open the first track of JP3? This is such a signature sound for JP (also featured strongly in the moments leading up to the "theme" part in Journey to the Island) that for me it's as evocative of dinosaurs as the low e-f ostinato is of sharks...