The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

On 5/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

And what glorious 14 seconds!

EDIT: I really meant it, @igger6. It's a great way to start the piece.

No, I totally agree—assuming we're talking about the same alternate intro that's also used in this recording.  I just found the comment amusing.

1 minute ago, igger6 said:

No, I totally agree—assuming we're talking about the same alternate intro that's also used in this recording.  I just found the comment amusing.

That's indeed the intro, but preferably played by a different orchestra. ;)

The opening in that video is different and NOT the alternate opening JW recorded at The Lost World sessions.  That is on the set as disc 4, track 14

Dang.  Is it online anywhere?  I'm one of the great unwashed who missed that release.

Did the FSO add the few bars of percussion at the beginning? It's a long time since I listened to JW's alternate.

1 minute ago, igger6 said:

Dang.  Is it online anywhere?  I'm one of the great unwashed who missed that release.

€199.99 + shipping.

4 minutes ago, igger6 said:

It's also in the film itself, in the end credits

It's a third intro that JW wrote for the official sheet music release, so it's what any orchestra would get if they officially licensed it for performance

Here's another performance of it

and another

It's also been recorded by Kunzel for a CD:

Kunzel, Erich, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - Great Movie Scores: Films of  Steven Spielberg - Amazon.com Music

but that one doesn't seem to be on youtube.

John Williams conducted this opening in London, in 1998, and a recording of that used to be on youtube I think, but I can't find it now.  It's probably floating around as bootleg mp3

Can anyone explain why 13M2 was combined with 13M3/14M1 on JP cos its just a bummer they are not separate tracks. Or did they play out like this in the movie? Years since I've seen it. 

Yes, the LLL album track has the same space (or lack there of) between each cue that the film itself does.

See for yourself (play button should bring you to just before the cue segue):

At the moment reading the breakdown of TLW by Incanus. Completely excellent and a great way to aquaint myself with this stunning music. The recorded sound is phenomenal. This score is as dense as a Bruckner Symphony and I'll have to listen 30 or 40 times or even more to learn it by heart. I hope there's a similar score analysis of Jurrasic Park coming soon. 

• 1 month later...

2:06 of Tranquillizer  Dart and End Credits (film version), that drum roll that leads into the JP theme, is that taken from the same track Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits), that is also on that album? They sound very similar and I was wondering if it was? Sorry if its been discussed before, I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

7 hours ago, Brando said:

2:06 of Tranquillizer  Dart and End Credits (film version), that drum roll that leads into the JP theme, is that taken from the same track Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits), that is also on that album? They sound very similar and I was wondering if it was? Sorry if its been discussed before, I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Yes I think so. Mike even attempted to isolate those drums from the other instruments, I think.

Never been a big fan of that track, but at least we've got a good edit that matches what's heard in the movie.

When you think about it, it's not typically something we get on MM expansions, still wondering why he chose to do it here!

13 hours ago, Chewy said:

Yes I think so. Mike even attempted to isolate those drums from the other instruments, I think.

Never been a big fan of that track, but at least we've got a good edit that matches what's heard in the movie.

When you think about it, it's not typically something we get on MM expansions, still wondering why he chose to do it here!

Yeah, i was listening to the film and i noticed the drum roll wasn't present. So I was like oh whatever, Kenny probably dialed it out. Then one day i was in the shower listening to the Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits) from TLW's album and around 2:48, the drum roll is there, and i haven't compared the tracks, but I wanna say the rest of that is the same as Tranquillizer Dart and End Credits (film version), as the piano ends and the JP theme begins. The only thing is, there's an extra instrument over the drums, so maybe MM found a way to remove it and attach just the drums to it. It'd be cool if we had some confirmation about it.

Maybe this has been mentioned before: the music between the T-Rex's triumphant roar and the end credits, is it tracked from earlier in the score? Or an unreleased few seconds? It does sound a little familiar. Listening again, yeah, I'm sure it's part of the quieter moments - the sick dinosaur maybe. Anyway, I hadn't noticed there was music there before....

Got it: Petticoat Lane. 

4 minutes ago, pete said:

Maybe this has been mentioned before: the music between the T-Rex's triumphant roar and the end credits, is it tracked from earlier in the score? Or an unreleased few seconds? It does sound a little familiar. Listening again, yeah, I'm sure it's part of the quieter moments - the sick dinosaur maybe. Anyway, I hadn't noticed there was music there before....

Yeah, it's tracked from Remembering Petticoat Lane.

I assume they spotted that scene with no music then Spielberg changed his mind after the sessions were finished. Or they decided in advance to track the music there (weird it wasn't re-recorded though!)

It's tracked in from "Remembering Petticoat Lane" and it's like that in the actual film too, that isn't something they invented for the live to projection show

EDIT: Ninja'd

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I assume they spotted that scene with no music then Spielberg changed his mind after the sessions were finished. Or they decided in advance to track the music there (weird it wasn't re-recorded though!)

Spielberg was busy shooting Schindler's List, all the music tinkering in the theatrical cut was from when George Lucas was overseeing post-production in his absence

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if its been discussed, I couldn't find it, but has anyone ever noticed a small portion of "Raptors Appear" shows up in "Visitor In San Diego"? I was re-watching that scene and noticed the music didn't match, and I do believe some of the original track was replaced. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Probably should've added in the clip. From there to about 0:45. Unless I'm hearing it wrong, it almost sounds like the jungle drums returns and then it switches back to "Visitor in San Diego". Just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else knew anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

With these both being released individually I'm reminded of a small issue I had with this boxset. NO not the Teeth :P

They listed the performers in this set but they blended the list for both movies together making it very hard to see who worked on each.
Very minor grumble indeed! 

This is a little frustrating as I've been working on a project compiling all of these folks, based on the liner notes, lists looking at things like who's played on the most Williams movies and seeing who makes up these orchestras that we love to listen to. 

Did the Later Jurassic 2CD set have the list in it? I'd love to see the list and correct my project if I can. 

43 minutes ago, KittBash said:

Did the Later Jurassic 2CD set have the list in it? I'd love to see the list and correct my project if I can. 

I’m pretty sure it did, but I’m not home now so I can’t take a picture for you.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The JP reissue has a list of only the performers who performed on JP

Whilst that might have been the intention, there is at least one apparent mistake in the JP reissue list: the credit for Guitar seems to have sneaked in from TLW list. We briefly discussed this in the JP reissue thread last November.

@KittBash, great to hear you might be doing a spreadsheet/database of all JW OST performers. I was considering doing something similar myself but hadn’t yet got round to it. I look forward to seeing your version!

Mark

10 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Whilst that might have been the intention, there is at least one apparent mistake in the JP reissue list: the credit for Guitar seems to have sneaked in from TLW list. We briefly discussed this in the JP reissue thread last November.

Incorrect!  The credit in the JP booklet for Dennis Budimir on guitar is correct.  He was there on the last day so the AFM is properly crediting him.  My speculation is that they had plans to record a source cue on the final day, maybe for the Dennis/Nedry scene that ultimately got scored by the licensed track "Las Gaviotas" in the final cut.  Maybe they even rehearsed it, but they obviously never recorded it.  So the AFM is correct to credit him and there's no mistake.

And The Lost World features no guitar playing at all.  The sound in "Reading The Map" that sounds like a fender bass guitar is actually synth!

image.png

Technically an unrecorded piece is unreleased…

but yes i got your point.

still it would have been cool to have a williams source

music to merge directly with journey to the island

Well as I said, it's only my own random speculation.  Maybe he was there for a completely different reason - who knows

• 2 weeks later...