The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

I was noticing the same thing too the other day, that all the high pitched trumpet blasts really stand out more than usual because the backing music is so low all the time!

Its that kind of juxtaposition in sound and mood that makes the score so interesting 

Listened to Jurassic Park.

In its chronological sequence it's actually quite a pity that they decided not to score the T-Rex attack. Because the score goes from awe and wonder to action and horror pretty much in an instant, in a way that is actually slightly jarring. 

Um really?

We have:

Goat bait

The saboteur

The coming storm

Dennis steal the embryos

before the attack (pretty brooding-tense material)

And after the T-Rex attack we have:

A tree for my bed

Remembering petticoat lane

My friend the brachiosaurus

Life finds a way

Welcome to jurassic park

Which is very magical, tender material...

You are chosing not to understand my point. Which usually only happens when I bash Lucas.

I never said that the tonal shift occurs segregates the entire score. just that the transition from one aspect to another is a bit jarring to me. I noticed that years earlier when I made a chronological version of the OST.

It feels to me like there's a track missing in the score that would have filled that gap.

I think i understand what stefan was trying to say..but i think his choice of words was too extremist and what he said is not totally correct. What is missing is a big pivotal chunk of the film being underscored. But there are action pieces intertwined with gentle ones throughout the score.

It is like AOTC geonosis battle. In this film there is also a noticeable gap between the 'Arena' and "Confrontation with count dooku".

OK..i was listening with headphones, and i found a rather weird glitch? instrument? in the wrecked ship at the last brass blast (at 2:10) like some weird vibration.

I said oh no LLL made a mistake....and fearing all the chore of making replacements disc and all that..but i thought, lets check the OST and volià, it has the same sound at the same spot in 'the compy's dine'.

So what it is? listening it on speakers it sounds maybe like ambient noise, something vibratting. But with headphones it sounds like a mixing-recording error.

Never noticed that before... and i must have played TLW like countless times...

On 03/12/2016 at 6:23 PM, Jay said:

Race To The Dock is a fantastic track I've wanted for 23 years. 

Yes!!

Same here. 

On 09/12/2016 at 5:48 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Jay...you mentioned it also! That's what i meant. I truly think williams is quoting "Dennis" even if it doesnt make much sense. Maybe both are realed by 'impending doom'?

I agree! I hear it too.

Although I wouldn't say it's a quote. It's more of a distant "echo." And it makes sense. Nedry was the villain in the first movie; JW is saying, here we have another stupid and slimy villain with Ludlow.

On 07/12/2016 at 6:00 PM, Jay said:

Damn!  Every time I listen to "Ludlow's Speech", I am blown away by how AWESOME of a track this is.  A true highlight of the score!

Agreed! 👍

Listening to it now. Amazing cue. This reminds me of JFK and Nixon...

Monster On The Loose actually reminds me of Howard Shore's LOTR. In particular ROTK.

In my mind it plays over an impressive tracking shot of the reveal of a new breed of Orcs, the Uruk-Rex! Deadliest of all of Sauron's forces!

On 13/12/2016 at 1:27 AM, Jay said:

It's literally just a new 14 second opening connected to the rest of the original recording. 

Is it just me that finds the new opening of the TLW theme slightly jarring because the sound quality doesn't seem to quite match. The new 14 second opening sounds slightly clearer and louder than the rest....

But then, love this theme, with with either opening. Maybe I'm nitpicking.

I prefer the alternate opening. I have fond memories of sitting through the end credits of the VHS and wondering why the hell that version wasn't on the album. And then, a commercial for Jurassic Park: The Ride at Universal Studios Hollywood.

20 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

I prefer the alternate opening. I have fond memories of sitting through the end credits of the VHS and wondering why the hell that version wasn't on the album. And then, a commercial for Jurassic Park: The Ride at Universal Studios Hollywood.

I haven't seen the movie in a while.

Is the alternate version the same version heard at the end of the movie?

Quick question:

Was the first part of "Reading the Map" even used in the movie? I know the second part starts when Ludlow says "Velociciraptors." But I don't remember hearing the first part of this track.....

By the way, what a breathtakingly beautiful and atmospheric cue!

There are many cues in The Lost World with incredibly interesting atmospheric underscore for dialogue scenes. "Spilling Petrol", "Reading the Map", "Ludlow's Speech" and "Monster on the Loose" off the top of my head. The latter is my favorite.

Some of my favorite new tracks...

Man, I can't get enough of The Lost World! :music::D

Corporate Helicopters

Ludlow's Speech

Reading the Map

Spilling Petrol and Horning In

On the Glass

Indeed. Truly one of his most unique scores.

Lately I've been especially enjoying the stretch from Corporate Choppers to Truck Stop, and the one from The Raptors Appear through the finale. Great mixtures of unreleased music and really top-notch stuff from the OST.

I'm having a lot of fun comparing the carnivore motif from JP to the Island's Voice motif from LW. Of course the two serve slightly different purposes but at the same time they both speak to the dinosaurs and their dangerous nature. Of the two, the Island's Voice is much stronger. The rising quality, how it is played throughout the score by brass, synthesizer, synth choir, and more make it very versatile. Even in the action cues it has more impact than the carnivore motif in JP's action cues. For something so simple, the Island's Voice really is the key to the entire LW score. I love how the it starts off so quietly and mysteriously and by the end of the score has several loud brass renditions. It just grows and grows from start to finish.

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'm having a lot of fun comparing the carnivore motif from JP to the Island's Voice motif from LW. Of course the two serve slightly different purposes but at the same time they both speak to the dinosaurs and their dangerous nature. Of the two, the Island's Voice is much stronger. The rising quality, how it is played throughout the score by brass, synthesizer, synth choir, and more make it very versatile. Even in the action cues it has more impact than the carnivore motif in JP's action cues. For something so simple, the Island's Voice really is the key to the entire LW score. I love how the it starts off so quietly and mysteriously and by the end of the score has several loud brass renditions. It just grows and grows from start to finish.

Matter of taste, and I adore both themes but I love the carnivore motif from JP more. Especially played by the shakuhachi, it's so incredibly and hauntingly effective, it gives me goosebumps. 

Doesn't the shakuhachi only play the carnivore motif in the Opening Titles?

The only other cue that uses the shakuhachi is Dennis Steals The Embryos right?

In the opening titles, only the last 3 notes are played, but they're the same.

It took me a while to figure it out too. It's also heard in "Reading the Map" when Ludlow mentions velociraptors. ;)

In JP the shakuhachi is only used in two cues - Opening Titles and Dennis Steals The Embryos

And it doesn't play the carnivore motif in the latter

Instances of the shakuhachi playing the carnivore motif are found only in the "Opening Titles" and "Reading the Map."

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well anyway, the carnivore motif DOES sound awesome played by the shakuhachi in the Opening Title cue :)

It gives me chills!  So effective, although it's just four (and sometimes 3) descending notes. :)

Yea I was talking about JP only, it is indeed awesome when the shakuhachi returns to play the carnivore motif in "Reading The Map" when the Raptors are mentioned... such a cool, super eerie moment!

It's been what, a month almost since the JP set came out, and I still listen to TLW regularly!!!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

it is indeed awesome when the shakuhachi returns to play the carnivore motif in "Reading The Map" when the Raptors are mentioned... such a cool, super eerie moment!

I slightly regretted the fact that "Reading the Map" isn't heard in its entirety in the movie, but it's so cool and incredibly effective how the jungle percussions and the shakuhachi starts immediately when Ludlow mentions "velociraptors." It's like JW is playing with the audience, kinda like with the "T-Rex Chase" when  every T-Rex foot stomp is accompanied by a menacing brass note and the orchestra "wakes up" and the music "panics" when Ian says "I'm fairly alarmed here"...

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's been what, a month almost since the JP set came out, and I still listen to TLW regularly!!!

I only got it like a week ago, but yeah, I'll be listening to that one for a very long time! Both JP and TLW. 

Without exaggeration, one of the best, if not THE best, Expanded and Complete JW sets ever released.

I've lined up some of the unused music with the film and The Lost World becomes a completely different movie. There's huge chunks of the film scored back-to-back where music was dropped for the final release, there's dialogue scenes that have percussion going throughout that was dropped. There's even a moment of wonder when the T-Rexes find their infant in the trailer that without the music, is pure terror in the final film.

I can see why a lot of this stuff was dropped in favor of the fantastic sound design or how some of it was replaced by tracking in the new theme to give the movie more of an adventure vibe. But it's great to be able to hear Williams' original score in full!

I think it would be cool if Spielberg funded a "bonus feature" to appear on all his blu-rays that was the cut of the film Williams scored with his full cues synced up to it.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think it would be cool if Spielberg funded a "bonus feature" to appear on all his blu-rays that was the cut of the film Williams scored with his full cues synced up to it.

If he did that, then nobody'd ever want to watch the original movies ever again. :P

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I love when he uses the timpani to mimick the T-Rex footsteps in Visitor in San Diego

I love how he mimicks the raptors in the kitchen scene.

And how he uses the same music in the compys! fooling the audience into believing that dieter is going to be attacked by a raptor. Something spielberg also did visually, since he shows the head of the compy in full zoom to scare the audience out of their seats.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I love how he mimicks the raptors in the kitchen scene.

And how he uses the same music in the compys! fooling the audience into believing that dieter is going to be attacked by a raptor. Something spielberg also did visually, since he shows the head of the compy in full zoom to scare the audience out of their seats.

Well I have missed that all these years. Where does he quote the music from the JP kitchen scene? Timestamps please.