The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Sorry, I reversed them in my post, I fixed it.

MV posted a high res version of the JP cover in the FSM thread, and its mirrored right here.

Multiple people asked if TLW could be posted too, but it never was, that I saw...

There are fan made ones that are very similar here:

https://hqcovers.net/2013/11/07/jurassic-park-by-john-williams-2/

https://hqcovers.net/2013/11/11/the-lost-world-jurassic-park-by-john-williams/

Here's the official LLL Jurassic Park artwork:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s62.photobucket.com/user/mgerhard123/media/John-Williams-JP-hi-res_zps3odsrvyg.jpg.html

And a pretty accurate fan-made The Lost World cover that's based on the LLL release:

https://hqcovers.net/2013/11/11/the-lost-world-jurassic-park-by-john-williams/#jp-carousel-2284

EDIT: Didn't see Jay's post! :P

• 1 month later...

The Lost World is better than everything. Thank God I don't have to hang out in Universal Studios theme park to listen to Corporate Helicopters on the PA system, although I didn't mind.

22 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The Lost World is better than everything. Thank God I don't have to hang out in Universal Studios theme park to listen to Corporate Helicopters on the PA system, although I didn't mind.

That is so funny that you say that. I use to do the exact same thing whenever I went to Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. I would stand outside the PA system just to listen to Corporate Helicopters, Spilling Petrol, In the Trailer, On the Glass (second half of the cue is played), and Ludlow's Speech (first half of the cue is played). Inside the gift shop, they play Rescuing Sarah (entire cue), as well as High Bar and Ceiling Tiles. From Jurassic Park, they play The T-Rex Chase (entire cue). They play other selections from both scores as well, but the cues I mentioned are the ones they play that were previously unreleased. I would always stand there just to listen to the previously unreleased music. I don't need to do that anymore!

The same cannot be said for Harry Potter, for now anyway.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

That is so funny that you say that. I use to do the exact same thing whenever I went to Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. I would stand outside the PA system just to listen to Corporate Helicopters, Spilling Petrol, In the Trailer, On the Glass (second half of the cue is played), and Ludlow's Speech (first half of the cue is played). Inside the gift shop, they play Rescuing Sarah (entire cue), as well as High Bar and Ceiling Tiles. From Jurassic Park, they play The T-Rex Chase (entire cue). They play other selections from both scores as well, but the cues I mentioned are the ones they play that were previously unreleased. I would always stand there just to listen to the previously unreleased music. I don't need to do that anymore!

The same cannot be said for Harry Potter, for now anyway.

For how long is that they played all those cues in the theme park?!

And where do they play Harry Potter?!

In both cases, since they were first opened. In the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, they play selections from the Maestro's three scores. A few unreleased (for now) selections play while you wait in line at the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you with any lingering questions about this set that weren't answered by Mike's podcast interview might be interested in checking out this new interview where we go into some more detail about both Jurassic Park and The Lost World.  Enjoy!

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9994

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BuzzLightyear said:

I can't find the music of this clip (00:00 - 01:15) on the Jurassic Park Collection release. It's not "The Raptor Attack", isn't it?

You might find this helpful:

On 4/16/2017 at 4:17 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

22. The Raptor Attack *
12m3-13m1 Into the Kitchen
The climax of the film kicks off with the tense kitchen sequence. For this sequence, the music is at its most primal and atonal. Using strings, deep brass and choir, Williams captures the threat of the prehistoric predators stalking the children.

In the film, the music doesn’t start until the raptors open the kitchen door, but by then we’re over a minute into the track. As the door opens and the children cower behind the stainless steel counters, we hear the only piece of music from this track that is actually in the film in what we can assume is its proper place. When the raptors start barking, the film mix replaces Williams’ written score with pieces of To the Maintenance Shed, right up until Tim hides near the spoon rack. If we line up the used music for the raptors’ entry and let the music play, the ending syncs up perfectly. Working backwards, we find the music originally started right as Lex spots the shadow of a raptor behind the glass wall over Tim’s shoulder.

It’s interesting to note that Spielberg makes special mention of Williams’ raptor music in his liner notes, yet drops this cue almost entirely in favor of more traditional scoring.

Yea, Williams scored the scene great, as Mr. B's video shows; Spielberg didn't need to change that one.

Some of the other places he dropped the music, like Goat Bait, The Saboteur, or the opening of High Wire Stunts were good choices, though.

I think Spielberg was right to drop this as well. It's real micue monster music; but the raptors are just scarier when they are portrayed for what they are: very dangerous animals.

See also: Hungry Raptor.

Oh yea, Hungry Raptor is all wrong for the scene of Ellie in the Shed.  I wish there was time for Williams to record a new opening rather than the horrible edit job they came up with for the final cut, though.

On 17.11.2017 at 3:49 PM, Jay said:

Oh yea, Hungry Raptor is all wrong for the scene of Ellie in the Shed.  I wish there was time for Williams to record a new opening rather than the horrible edit job they came up with for the final cut, though.

But I'm glad it wasn't used for the scene. It sounds less tense but more cool and does not really fit.

I have never really realized the synth basses in Rescuing Sarah at, for example, 0:47-0:49. I always subconciously knew they were there, but how got JW so many interesting ideas for that score?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but:

1. Is it me, or is there a rather clumsy edit in Welcome to Jurassic Park in the transition from majestic theme to cheerful Island theme?

2. Why do we have film versions in the bonus programme? Did Williams prefer it that way?

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but:

1. Is it me, or is there a rather clumsy edit in Welcome to Jurassic Park in the transition from majestic theme to cheerful Island theme?

I have no idea what you're talking about

2. Why do we have film versions in the bonus programme? Did Williams prefer it that way?

For Jurassic Park, the only difference between the end credits (Album Version) and end credits (Film Version) is extremely minor performance and editing differences, barely perceptible.  You can swap them around if you prefer for your own playlist, but it really doesn't make a difference.

For The Lost World, Williams intentions was to have The Tranquilizer Dart play out in full over all the final footage in the film, then have the Lost World Theme track open the end credits, with the recording of the first film's theme suite padding out the rest of the end credits run time (edited down as it needed to be to fit).  In the final film, Spielberg tracked in the start of the first film's theme suite over the final footage, and had that roll right into the end credits.  The suite is edited down, and eventually segues to the TLW theme piece and other tracked music.

For the 1997 album, the transition from part-way through Tranquilizer dart going into the first film's theme suite was kept, but the entire recording of that suite plays through with no edits, while the end credits piece opens the album as track 1.

For the LLL set, the end credits piece opens up the presentation again, and Tranquiler Dart is allowed to play in full, followed by the full JP theme suite, followed by the end credits piece again, this time with the revised opening that was recorded later.  Finally, the "Film Version" ending track replicates the film's Tranquilizer Dart -> JP theme suite edit again, and also edits the suite down in a way similar to how it is in the film.  In other words, its a pure bonus for fans who like how the film made that edit instead of letting Tranquilizer Dart play out in full.  It contains no different music or even different takes than what's already been heard on the album.

Ah, thanks for that explanation. Interesting that they included the film version for TLW, as I recall that JW's original intentions always come first on these albums while film edits are discarded.

As for my comment about the JP end credits, I was referring to 4:31 (approximately) where I found the transition rather strange, volume-wise.

I don't understand what you mean. His intentions ARE the main program, Tranquilizer Dart plays in full there. The edited version is a bonus track.

Yes, but that film version sounds like it is an edit itself and I was curious why that would be present on a complete set. It would be like including the film version of Diagon Alley on an expanded HP1 set.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone still have the link to the spreadsheets that show how the various releases compare?

On a related subject, is there an overview somewhere of all spreadsheets that have been made?

Could be useful for future reference, I reckon....

• 8 months later...

As is usual with series scores, whenever I start to think I prefer one over the other, the other one smacks me in the face and I start to appreciate that one more.