Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Just now, Stefancos said:

Sounds like a Star Wars make!

A Star Wars name?

16 hours ago, rough cut said:

I am unfamiliar with Lockhart. Any particular reason to fret?

I don't know. I don't have anything against his conducting. But's on disc... we can't really say that he had a very succesfull discographic career since the past decades. At least, not like Fiedler or John Williams. Personally, I can't listen his albums from the beginning to the end... it's too much candy mix... there's always some tracks to skip... That's not consistent (you will ask me, did the JW's album where... well at least they contained stuff composed by him!). So for me, there's not much artistical direction...

This may be the most selling album of his career, I wish him.  But, I would have preferred a studio recording.

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

we can't really say that he had a very succesfull discographic career since the past decades. At least, not like Fiedler or John Williams.

This is 100% because of the contraction of the music industry especially for orchestral recordings, nothing to do with the relative quality of the conductors.  Even pop stars can barely sell albums anymore, let alone orchestras.  It's just not worth paying for the studio time.  This is also why this new release is a live recording.  The live recording has paid for itself through ticket sales.

On 07/04/2017 at 10:32 PM, Matt S. said:

(...) Stargazers must have been pure hell for those who had the urge to cough!  One or two coughs got out but I'm sure they'll edit those right out!  Thankfully they're they're recording it twice!

I just hope people did not cough at the exact same place twice, it will be a wonderfull edited cue on the album.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Looks like a teaser poster!

Let's hope it is just that!

I don't think they got a good enough picture of either Lockhart's or Williams' back yet.

I actually like this cover.  After the Collaboration III mess, it's high art.  At least they picked an interesting font and wrote the text on a path.  And there's no A/V equipment blocking anybody's head...

58 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

It'll be like a lossless version of one of those Film Night broadcasts.

you mean all those recording we were wishing for years we had proper studio recordings (Marion's Theme...) .Looks like were back to square one

1 hour ago, Fal said:

Wasn't the Oboe Concerto recorded live as well?

Yes I believe it was. And luckily it didn't have much audience noises.

46 minutes ago, king mark said:

well the clarinet concerto on the other hand...

I really hope Slatkin and Detroit Symphony Orchestra will tackle that at some point.

4 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

This is recorded during a live concert? What the fuck?

Yes... What's the matter with that? Some of the most exciting performances occur live.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I really hope Slatkin and Detroit Symphony Orchestra will tackle that one soon.

I'm still waiting on their release of the Trumpet Concerto. Not sure what's taking so long.

Back on topic, perhaps this release has been pushed back to June 9 so they have time to throw in some music from this May 24 concert (which has the same title as the album)?

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/86093

My favourite remains the first recording of the trumpet concerto, by Arturo Sandoval.

I have no problems with live recordings, unless they're riddled with audience noises. Gives everything more of a 'presence'.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Unless they know it's being recorded for release!

True, but wouldn't it take all the energy out of them when they have the "real" concert coming up?

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

The concert is where the musicians go the extra mile.

Meh, this isn't particularly true.  Not of high calibre musicians, at least.  Playing a piece to an empty or full hall is no different.  The music gets the same enthusiasm and respect either way.

14 hours ago, Incanus said:

You should check out the one by the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra with Jouko Harjanne as the soloist. It is a great one.

Most definitely, light years better than the Sandoval recording.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Unless they know the rehearsal's being recorded for release!

Then it's not a rehearsal.

Well, I disagree. There is something unique that happens when an orchestra is in front of an audience, just as there's a difference between actors acting on a stage and in a movie. I studied theatre theory once upon a time, and there was a lot of literature about this. Something in the space between musicians and audience that elevates the whole thing; gives it more of a presence. I'll take a studio recording and I'll take a live recording, but I would feel cheated if I got a rehearsal recording -- no matter how good it was.