Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

12 hours ago, KingPin said:

Its not the Signature Edition version, although it is still arranged by Williams. Williams has conducted this version himself on a few rare occasions (including a Tanglewood concert I attended years ago). It basically cuts and pastes the following from the original soundtrack:

A) Track 17 (Reprise) 0:00 to 5:26, with the entire first violin section playing the opening melody instead of a solo violin

B) Track 17 (Reprise) 6:33 to 7:21, minus the third repetition of the piccolo/fife melody from 7:00 to 7:10

C) Track 4 (The Colonial Cause) 1:25 to 3:01

D) Non-soundtrack material written for ending of concert version

I'm really looking forward to hearing that now! :D

On 4/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, azahid said:

The cd release date is confirmed as May 10th.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:40 AM, mrbellamy said:

June 9 now?

On 5/8/2017 at 7:45 PM, Ricard said:

It should be noted, however, that the "general" release date has been postponed to June 23

On 5/9/2017 at 2:04 AM, curlytoot said:

Preview clips are up at iTunes!!! And it supposedly releases on May 17!

31 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

Digital release pushed back 2 days to May 19. 

1-out-of-reach.gif

On May 9, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Thor said:

Well, ideally I would of course leave off the 'standards' here, but if I'm not mistaken this is the first time the FORCE AWAKENS suite material has been released? If so, that deserves it.

From what I understand the unreleased TFA suite material is just the full "Jedi Steps" and the "Finale" ending variation, right? Is there anything in "Rey's Theme," "March of the Resistance," "Scherzo for X-Wings," and the "Finale" (otherwise) that isn't already covered by the OST?

EDIT: Or wait just realized maybe I'm dumb and you're just talking about the fact that the five TFA tracks make up the overall TFA suite (rather than there being material not included on the OST).

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, Richard said:

I've just looked at the track listing for this cd:

6:14 for THE TOWERING INFERNO?

7:23 for E.T.?

What could warrant an extra 1:14 for TTI?

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:14 PM, Matt S. said:

Intermission now.... Towering Inferno was a blast; they played the full main title, and at the ending fade out they transitioned to part of the end title to give it a more rousing conclusion.  

Digital release was originally slated for the 17th but it seems to have been moved to the 19th of May.

It's a shame I'm unable to buy this release digitally in lossless format - same as with Williams/Spielberg Collab. Part 3. That means I have to wait a couple of weeks extra for the disc to arrive before I can chime in on the discussion.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

128 even sounds fantastic to my ears. I've repeatedly done comparisons but the minute difference I notice in 1% of the cases just isn't worth the extra space.

Have you done any blind listening tests?

Oh wait.....

128 kbps mp3 is perhaps enough for modern music, but it can't handle orchestral music, particularly the winds and the trumpets.

If this is a live recording it's even worse.

I guess the album will be on Spotify tomorrow? In Canada the physical CD will only be available  in early june I think.

I will listen to the album on Spotify this morning yeah!

Also, US Air Force - Journeys album was released today.

That's a nice way to start a week-end!

Even I, an audio heathen who doesn't usually notice or care about such things, notice that the mikes seem to have picked up a lot of background noise. Like staticky, I mean.

I'd say this is without a doubt my favorite JW compilation album yet. Just about every selection was already a favorite of mine; no real "misses" on this one. Sound quality is pretty good; it's great to finally hear cues like "Night Journeys" recorded with such clarity.

I've listened up through Night Journeys so far and this is really good!  The early stuff is extra nice because you don't hear it as frequently, and Night Journeys was really really good!

Now onto Stargazers!

Jedi Steps concert version sounds fantastic! What a deliciously dark and moody track at this stage of Williams' career. I hope he expands upon these ideas in TLJ; it's very reminiscent of Dracula.

The sound being a little iffy is most noticeable during quiet sections like the beginning of "The Jedi Steps."  It's a fantastic album but it's undeniable that it would have been even better as a real studio recording.  Just sucks that wasn't viable for them.

Nearly finished listening. Nice album, but the very early scores didn't really appeal to me. Sound mix is excellent, loving the woodwinds in the Star Wars suite and Stargazers! But still don't like the Jedi Steps, I think it's a relatively dull concert arrangement and the idea worked much better in the film version. I don't like the transition from that to the sudden triumphant finale, the Force theme needs to be there... Hope he'll do more albums like this, I want Double Trouble on a Boston Pops CD.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

(...) But still don't like the Jedi Steps, I think it's a relatively dull concert arrangement and the idea worked much better in the film version. I don't like the transition from that to the sudden triumphant finale, the Force theme needs to be there... (...)

I prefer the movie version too. Separating the finale like that is for me very "old fashionned", it reminds me some 80's re-recordings!

The middle of the album is really great!  Devil's Dance and the Patriot suite are full of pep and the Sleepers and Sabrina music is really nice.  It's a shame we just got Viktor's Tale on the Spielberg collaboration, as either CD would have benefitted from swapping to something else, but what can you do? 

Onto TFA now!