Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

3 hours ago, KingPin said:

So these concerts are this weekend. I managed to get a last minute ticket for Saturday. Anyone else attending?

My wife and I are going to the Friday concert.  Can't wait!

So I guess there probably won't be a radio broadcast, right? I looked just now and didn't see anything about one, but those sites are so hard to navigate so who knows. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

So I guess there probably won't be a radio broadcast, right? I looked just now and didn't see anything about one, but those sites are so hard to navigate so who knows. 

WCRB 99.5 FM usually does a simulcast of the Saturday night concerts of the BSO or Boston Pops, but it looks like they are running a repeat of a BSO concert from last year.  Probably the fact that they are recording this concert for a CD changes things this week....

From the Boston Pops e-mail I received today:

On Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8, at 8 p.m., Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra kick off the Pops' season-long celebration of John Williams' film music with two concerts featuring works from each of John Williams' six decades as a film composer. Raiders of the Lost Ark actress Karen Allen serves as host for these performances, which will be recorded live for an album release in the spring. The concerts offer audiences an opportunity to be part of this historic CD recording at Symphony Hall of such classic films scores as E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; the composer's more recent works including The Terminal; and some of Mr. Williams' lesser known gems including Goodbye, Mr. Chips; The Towering Inferno; and Sabrina. These concerts will also feature John Williams' beloved film scores to Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, The Patriot, and the Harry Potter and Indiana Jones series. 

No mention of DADDY-O, unfortunately. ;)

She seems to be be doing acting gigs very rarely, yes. But you spurred my interest, so I headed over to Wikipedia. In addition to teaching acting, seems like she's very much into yoga and knitting(!) and textiles these days. I kid you not:

http://karenallen-fiberarts.com/

3 hours ago, Thor said:

From the Boston Pops e-mail I received today:

No mention of DADDY-O, unfortunately. ;)

Sounds like we'll receive a proper recording of the concert theme to The Patriot that I had asked about in that score's recent thread.... I'm not too crazy about The Terminal, since that was just released on Spielberg/Williams III.  Hopefully there won't be too many more duplicates.  

I'm very curious now to see what the final track list will be for the CD.  No Dracula or Midway tonight, as was mentioned last season.... they will probably cherry pick the best tracks from last season and this weekend once these concerts are done.  Hopefully The Force Awakens makes the cut. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Awesome! Thanks for reporting, Matt.

Audience been behaving themselves, noise wise? ;)

Haha, yes they were ok.  Stargazers must have been pure hell for those who had the urge to cough!  One or two coughs got out but I'm sure they'll edit those right out!  Thankfully they're they're recording it twice!

And I remove my earlier objection to The Terminal being recorded; Thomas Martin did a fantastic job on the clarinet, this will be my preferred version of Viktor's Tale.

The rendition of Sabrina was very well played, though maybe just a touch fast.... I'm glad it was the piano and orchestra version from the OST; I've never been too fond of the violin and orchestra arrangement from Cinema Serenade.

Horray for Inferno and Stargazers, Sleepers, and Patriot, but they better have recorded JFK and Lincoln in a studio session! We need a decent recording of the three-movement suites.

Towering Inferno

Stargazers

Heidi

The Patriot

Sleepers

Hopefully all those are on the CD!

And hopefully the audience followed the wish in the programme and kept the noise at minimum.

Sounds like there is a very interesting set of tracks being played.

Together with the Williams Volume III CD earlier, I definitely have some stuff to hear forward to for when I finally have some time to listen to new music again! :D

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, Incanus said:

Towering Inferno

Stargazers

Heidi

The Patriot

Sleepers

Hopefully all those are on the CD!

Yes, plus Goodbye Mr Chips, and Men of the Yorktown from Midway and Night Journeys from Dracula culled from last year's performance. Add to those the suite from TFA and I guess we have a full tracklist of the album.

I'm assuming the CHIPS material includes the Bricusse compositions, and hence is more of an arrangement piece? Or does it include the original score material?

I had hoped to go to either Friday or Saturday night's concert, but I've been sick since Thursday so I skipped (if I had bought tickets ahead of time I probably would have dragged my ass up to Boston though).  I regret missing out, but with all the concerts coming out in May I'll be alright.  Looking forward to the CD.

Stargazers!  Finally!

Alas, my dream of a concert version of The Terminal's love theme will have to wait once again.  I get the idea that I'll wind up traveling to an obscure foreign country someday to pick up a rare unreleased CD of it, and I'll get tagged by security and have to live in the airport for a while.  If I got the CD, it might be worth it, with or without winning the heart of Catherine Zeta-Jones...

So did they play the TFA suite at one of the later shows?

45 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Stargazers!  Finally!

Alas, my dream of a concert version of The Terminal's love theme will have to wait once again.  I get the idea that I'll wind up traveling to an obscure foreign country someday to pick up a rare unreleased CD of it, and I'll get tagged by security and have to live in the airport for a while.  If I got the CD, it might be worth it, with or without winning the heart of Catherine Zeta-Jones...

So did they play the TFA suite at one of the later shows?

They did not perform any TFA at the Saturday show. They also cut Chamber of Secrets from Saturday's concert. Interestingly, and quite rare for a Pops concert, there were no encores.

Are you people really (I mean really) excited by a Lockhart album?

HAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA.

LOL.

I MEAN ROFL.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Considering the picky reasons you found to dislike Collaboration Part III album, I don't expect our opinions to converge.

Hey, I'm just here to bring balance to the Force!

Finally I'm a bit deceived to learn that this album will be a live one.

Maybe JW deserved a new proper studio recording made by the BPO...