SCORE: Medal of Honor

BLUMENKOHL

A nice review Blume! And it is a great score although as I am wont of repeating MOH Frontline is even better, a more mature take on the subject while also reaching for something more operatic and ambitious and cinematic.

There is very evident love Giacchino has for the music of the film music masters and his idols and role models but I don't it ever becomes too distracting, more of a tip of the hat to composers like Goldsmith and Williams. One of the things the video game format allows a composer to do is to roam a bit more freely and since the timing isn't down to a millisecond trying to catch the action on-screen like with a film score there usually is allowance to dwell on the development of motifs, themes and ideas and give them a rounded character. This means these pieces of music can be less vulnerable to the changes of pace often happening in film but also have the added challenge of having to encompass a single or multiple moods in a succint manner without being too specific to any dramatic beat (unless scoring a cut scene in cinematic style).

This can also result very easily in very episodic musical vignette-like scoring where each piece presents a new idea without any relationship between the tracks on the album so that they become illustrations of single mood whether frenetic action, heroism or suspense. While no relation between these tracks is absolutely necessary per se, in programmatic music with a narrative like MOH some kind of musical thread running through it is an asset and Giacchino does from the start follow his role models like Williams and employs themes and motifs like in any film score to bind the whole thing together and give it a coherence.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

A nice review Blume! And it is a great score although as I am wont of repeating MOH Frontline is even better, a more mature take on the subject while also reaching for something more operatic and ambitious and cinematic.

I like Frontline about as much as MoH, I think. A bit harsher on the ears though, a more aggressive score. Underground is good too. Airborne is where things get less long-line thematic and more rhythmic.

Secret Weapons is a great one too!

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What do they know, Steef? They are just a bunch of shoot 'em uppers. In that world the album has a certain reputation.

But Koray didnt say it was one of the best game scores ever composed, he said scores. So that means he is putting it up their with the really great works. Herrmann's Psycho, Goldsmith's Alien and Chinatown, Williams' Star Wars!

Shocking!

Stefan, your snobbish attitude towards Michael Giacchino has always been rather puzzling given your predilection, perhaps even add-kissery, for David Arnold. 

Arnold, as well know, was the Giacchino of the 90s. A promising upstart, writing brilliant pastiche and hailed as the next John Barry who never quite made it to John Barry levels of greatness. 

Guess you just have the experience of being burned once. 

Its not like I haven't tried for years. But Gia just doesn't cut it for me. It's not just his style or voice, it's that he is technically  and compositionally far too limited. And he hasn't improved all that much.

If you listen to A Guide For The Married Man and then Images you will hear a musical voice which has matured, evolved.

If you listen to Medal Of Honor and then Star Trek Beyond you'll mostly hear that he's working with bigger budgets.

Blume, i am sure you will remember Jay Chattaway, who wrote many scores for Star Trek, many using never more than two groups of instruments played at once,  often in unison. Incredibly based music, yet somehow perfectly effective.

Chattaway could have scored Star Trek Beyond and Paramount would have saved a lot of money, and had a better score

Thats how low I rate Gia!

This is a very fine score from my memory. Like for many others, it was what once made me a Gia fan. I should revisit it sometime.

• 11 months later...

I LOVE this score and all of Giacchino's Medal of Honor scores were great. I love that your review puts it in context.

To add to the context, I was thinking of Nobuo Uematsu, who I would say had been taking game scoring very seriously already by this time. But perhaps that speaks to Japanese attitudes towards the value of video games? I can't think of another Western composer to do the same until Giacchino.

• 11 months later...