John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Possibly, though I also would have thought they'd of had a trailer attached to Rogue One and there doesn't seem to be.  Who knows!

There wasn't a trailer for Rogue One until a while after The Force Awakens was released, right?

I could imagine if they don't want to "distract" anyone from the film currently being released...

Unless RPO gets recorded in January, it'll probably wait until summer, with KOEM in autumn.

Pick-ups for Star Wars in November if required (Johnson might be less meddling than JJ)

1 hour ago, alextrombone94 said:

Incredible how busy he's been the past few years. Makes me kinda disappointed about that gap between 2005 and 2008

2005-2011 with only Indy 4 was such a bummer, getting no other film work from Williams (and really very little concert work). Meanwhile all those Harry Potters just drifting on by....:stick:

Tbh I probably wouldn't have been quite so aggravated about how those scores turned out if he was at least regularly putting out other things. It was painful! 

38 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

Incredible how busy he's been the past few years. Makes me kinda disappointed about the between Munich and KOTC

Only one new score (and KOTCS at that) in the 6 years between Tintin and Munich was rough.

The Harry Potter thing is all David Yates' fault. The only film in that whole series with a scheduling conflict was GOF.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Possibly, though I also would have thought they'd of had a trailer attached to Rogue One and there doesn't seem to be.  Who knows!

I believe they wanted Rogue one not to have any other Star Wars attached to it as many people still think it is the sequel to Episode 7, lol... 

Just now, alextrombone94 said:

I'm just worried that he won't get to Episode IX. Not sure my OCD could cope with eight JW Star Wars (episode) scores and one solitary Giacchino entry

Shut it! Do Not Say That!!!!!! I'll need xanax to cope!

24 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

I can think of no other artist (of any discipline) in their mid 80s whose fans continue to look forward to a new work. We are very lucky!

Indeed! 

24 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

JW not continuing the HP series is probably the greatest missed opportunity in film scores.

Meh, he wouldn't have found much inspiration in the later movies, I think. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed! 

Funnily Enough it's GOF I wanted him to really do. 

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah, I imagine it (the later Harry Potters) would have largely been muted suspense and drama scoring with short bits of comedy and action thrown in.  

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I always highly doubted that there'd be one attached to Rogue One from opening day.

Disney knows that an Episode VIII teaser is a huge event in itself. They wouldn't want Rogue One to distract from it.

Of course, in theory there could be one attached that the critics didn't see...

There might be a trailer released sometime soon, though. Who knows.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they waited until spring, though.

After all, they waited until then for RO.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Wouldn't even have to be Williams scoring.

Just someone with some chops for good themes and thematic consistency throughout the series would have helped.

I think Chris Young would have knocked it out of the park!

The trajectory Williams was on with Prisoner of Azkaban was great. Don't underestimate what could have been! 

Perhaps he would've scored the Black Lake Task in GoF akin to Mermaids from Hook but darker like A.I.?

I couldn't care less one way or the other if he writes the music for the trailer, because I won't be watching it.

It was actually kinda fun watching the Force Awakens trailers for the first time after seeing the movie twice.  A lot of "Oh, I bet people freaked out over that."

8 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Antideluvian.

Antediluvian. Quite. By his own testimony.

This is very exciting! While it's still early and I can't imagine we'll hear it until the release, it's great to know the music is flowing out right at this moment. There's absolutely zero chance we get the EpVIII trailer during Rogue One. The hype would almost mess with the viewing of RO. They'll let RO do it's thing and then a few months later release a trailer. Honestly, that film doesn't even need a trailer haha. 

Rogue One is already playing all over Europe so yea, no Ep 8 trailer :(

I imagine Disney will premiere something by the Super Bowl at the latest.

1 minute ago, Lockdown said:

I thought they weren't making trailers or something for Episode VIII?

That rumor was from an Adam Driver interview where he said he thought not making trailers would be a cool idea for marketing it, to keep the audience as in the dark as possible.

Funny thing about that was it wasn't even his idea. Some reporter suggested it to him and he just agreed it would be kinda cool and interesting for there to be no marketing, speculatively. Then of course naturally it got reported everywhere as "ADAM DRIVER DOESN'T WANT ANY EPISODE 8 TRAILERS!"which apparently turned into there will be no trailers lol.