John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

From what I've read it sounds like there are going to be some interesting things happening with Snoke in the next film (certainly moreso than what we got in TFA, although it's hard to say exactly what we'll get this early). I'll say no more. 

1 hour ago, dillweed97 said:

I shall eagerly await it, I bet Williams will bring us all pure excitement and enjoyment with it.

This comment suddenly made me think of the score JW wrote for episode 1 and how amazing it is that he was able to return to the Star Wars galaxy and write a brand new score (with all its complexities) that expanded what Star Wars music could sound like without alienating old-school Star Wars fans. Far as I recall the score was an instant success with everyone loving Duel of the Fates and fans generally liking the score and remarking that it was the only part of the film that wasn't a let down. JW did what George Lucas couldn't and thinking about his score for TFA (which did have a more old school OT sound to it) and Gia's score for Rogue One makes me appreciate the score for episode 1 all the more.

16 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I dont expect redemption for Kylo Ren. He has gone too far...

He will sacrifice himself to save an important character.  We never saw that before in a movie.

I don't know what level of importance will have the villain played by Benicio del Toro. If he's preponderant in the film, maybe Williams' thematic forces will go to that character, and not Kylo Ren or Snoke. I hope is not the case, though.

I think it's safe to assume Williams will treat EpVIII as its own entity, much like he always did with every Star Wars film. There will be of course thematic continuity and further development of stuff written for TFA, but I won't be surprised if he will write completely new themes for established characters. However, this depends on how much the film is gonna be linked to the previous one (it appears the story will pick up exactly where the last one finished) and how much it will differ tonally from TFA.

Also, the fact Williams started to write the score so early (assumingly with EpVII still fresh in his mind) could also bring him to tie things much more closely than he did in the past, whereas he had minimum three years gaps and quite a few other projects in between.

Despite the victory against the First Order and the destruction of Starkiller Base, the galaxy is again on the verge of a new conflict. The Resistance, led by General Leia Organa, is gathering forces and sending Captain Finn and pilot Poe Dameron on a mission to find new allies in several systems that could help defeat the evil movement.

Rey has found LUKE SKYWALKER on the planet Ach'To. Luke is reluctant to start training Rey as a Jedi Knight, but he's aware she could be the key to finally bring back the balance in the FORCE.

Supreme Leader Snoke started to train Kylo Ren to make him the strongest agent the Dark Side has ever seen, while also putting the menacing [INSERT NEW BADDIE NAME] as the new Commander of the First Order. After learning that Skywalker is still alive, Snoke is planning a trap that could finally destroy the Resistance and the last of the Jedi Knights...

Okay, corrected:

Despite the victory against the First Order and the destruction of Starkiller Base, the galaxy is again on the verge of a new conflict. The Resistance, led by General Leia Organa, is gathering forces and sending Captain Finn and pilot Poe Dameron on a mission to find new allies in several systems that could help defeat the evil movement.

Rey has found LUKE SKYWALKER on the planet Ach'To. Luke is reluctant to start training Rey as a Jedi, but he's aware she could be the key to finally bring back the balance in the FORCE.

Supreme Leader Snoke started to train Kylo Ren to make him the strongest agent of the Dark Side, while also putting the menacing [INSERT NEW BADDIE NAME] as the new Commander of the First Order. After learning where Skywalker is hiding, Snoke is planning a trap that could finally destroy the Resistance and the last of the Jedi Knights...

37 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Okay, corrected:

Despite its victory against the First Order and the destruction of Starkiller Base, the Resistance has never before faced so daring a threat. Led by General Leia Organa, Captain Finn and pilot Poe Dameron are sent out to gather forces on a mission to find new and strong allies that could help defy the evil movement.

Rey has found LUKE SKYWALKER on the planet Ach'To. Luke is reluctant to start training Rey as a Jedi, but he has realised she might be the key to finally bring back balance to the FORCE.

Supreme Leader Snoke has commenced his training Kylo Ren to make him the strongest agent of the Dark Side, and has appointed the menacing [INSERT NEW BADDIE NAME] as the new Commander of the First Order. Having at last learned where Skywalker is hiding, Snoke is planning a trap that could finally destroy the Resistance and the last of the Jedi Knights....

My version of your crawl, @TownerFan. I'm sorry, couldn't resist slightly Star Wars-ifying the jargon.

I still can't get over how childish a name Snoke is, though. Feels so out of its place in a Star Wars film.

46 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So you're saying Luke is Darth Plagueis? You're not making any sense...

Luke, it still possible... but it would implie that he's responsible of Han's death. Not sure Disney would go there.

Any way, like i've said it many times, no villain can beat Palpatine. He was the most powerfull Sith of all time, I mean he destroyed all the Jedi and took control of all the galaxy. The only villain that could be more powerfull than him could be his master, Plagueis... who's experiments with the force created Anakin (that it may have been intented or not).

If Snoke is not Plagueis...then he's a funny old man that scare no one... and this new trilogy is a big joke.

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't understand your logic. Is there some rule that would prevent them from simply saying Snoke is a more powerful being than Plagueis or Palpatine ever were?

No, but your new villain would have a long way to go... I mean when you create life from nothing... you are God.

Paf... killed in his sleep by his apprentice?

I don't buy that.

Problem is that Star Wars' inner mythology works best when it's mostly allusion, without too much explanation, imho. Lucas' stroke of genius in the original film was taking basic mythological structures/patterns and applying them to his own storytelling. When you start to build a complex inner mythology and referencing just to that, it easily gets too convoluted and almost contradictory (see the prequels and TFA as well).

7 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Problem is that Star Wars' inner mythology works best when it's mostly allusion, without too much explanation, imho. Lucas' stroke of genius in the original film was taking basic mythological structures/patterns and applying them to his own storytelling. When you start to build a complex inner mythology and referencing just to that, it easily gets too convoluted and almost contradictory (see the prequels and TFA as well).

Prequels... a complex inner mythology?

Sorry I almost choked myself!

Well, in the prequels Lucas tried to expand the mythology, adding new elements to it and exploring several new ideas. But it's mythology that suddenly references almost only itself, almost forgetting the Campbellian sense of narrative. That's where the problems start, imho.

9 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Well, in the prequels Lucas tried to expand the mythology, adding new elements to it and exploring several new ideas. But it's mythology that suddenly references almost only itself, almost forgetting the Campbellian sense of narrative. That's where the problems start, imho.

No need to talk about "life creation" and midichlorian in this new trilogy.

Just a little sentence will do for me: "Palpatine was my apprentice. Don't make the same error he did."

17 hours ago, artguy360 said:

At first I thought it was a little too simple, almost similar to the motif for Voldemort in the first HP score, something like a bad guy theme more appropriate for a children's film.

Voldemort has two themes in the first score, and neither seems particularly simple/child"ish" to me.

15 hours ago, artguy360 said:

This comment suddenly made me think of the score JW wrote for episode 1 and how amazing it is that he was able to return to the Star Wars galaxy and write a brand new score (with all its complexities) that expanded what Star Wars music could sound like without alienating old-school Star Wars fans. Far as I recall the score was an instant success with everyone loving Duel of the Fates and fans generally liking the score and remarking that it was the only part of the film that wasn't a let down.

The initial reception wasn't that unanimous. Many very quite disappointed that the score sounded so different from the OT and claimed that Williams had lost the ability to write a big space opera score. I was a bit ambivalent about it myself at first; I liked the concert pieces at the beginning of the album, but it took me a while to appreciate the underscore. The lousy album arrangement didn't exactly help I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Weird that these says the scores for parts 1, 2 and 3 are often mentioned in one breath with the original trilogy ones. That certainly wasn't the case back in the day.

Even weirder, is that I've seen several posts only mentioning the prequel scores.  

The Force.net hosted a poll for the best Star Wars score and Revenge of the Sith won by a landslide (though it helps that the site is basically the prequels fan forum).  

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

The Force.net hosted a poll for the best Star Wars score and Revenge of the Sith won by a landslide (though it helps that the site is basically the prequels fan forum).  

Wow!  That's my least favorite one!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wow!  That's my least favorite one!

I'll always rank it above AOTC but I feel kind of conflicted about it.  So many awesome individual moments but as a whole, it might be Williams' most scatterbrained and incohesive score.

ROTS has moments of pure brilliance, but also loads of cues that really don't do much. Also, unlike any of the other ones it doesn't really have any overarching thematic presence. All SW scores Williams did have a prominent theme or two that is carried through the whole film. This just isn't the case in ROTS. The lament comes in quite late and is ony heard three instances. Battle Of The Heroes is essentially a setpiece cue. The General Grievous Theme is good, but also used a few times. The old themes are used of course, but often as mere cameos. The score lacks any thematic focus. Very rare for Williams and unheard of for an SW score.

I like the opening battle music

But the Anakin vs Obiwan music and the Palaptine vs whoever music doesnt do much for me

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like the opening battle music

Starts out well with that kickass Force theme. But after a while it just descends into typical Williams syncopated xylophone and brass hits. Flutes and percussion.