SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

The whole idea of Vader being intruduced as a threatening overlord in Star Wars because he's sending in disposable foot soldiers to clear his way is now rendered moot. He just badassed his way across a hallway full of rebel soldiers not too long ago!

Also, the clunkiness of his fight with Kenobi now makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But it would have been easy to fix: just have one Rebel transmit the data to the Tantive IV (which would have been far away from Scarif) before being slaughtered by Vader. There: after the slaughter, Vader sees the transmission, and order his men to find the ship which received the data. Then cut to the communications officer aboard the Tantive IV receiving the message, informing Leia they got the plans, and Leia ordering for them to go to Yavin (or wherever they were supposed to go at the beginning of ANH). End the film with a shot of the Tantive IV flying away, with uplifting music leading us into the end credits...

That way we could have had a slower ending instead of the one we got with the end credits starting in the middle of an action sequence!

That would've been much better

There's also a line about Vader not having "conjured up the stolen data tapes". Oh well.

And I really didn't like the transition into the credits. I was just left sitting there thinking: "wait, that's it? Two hours of spectacle and it all leads to this? What the hell?"

God, is this how it's like over at the Tolkien forums? All this geeking about with insanely detailed descriptions of plots and characters and the general 'universe'?

I've always considered myself a STAR WARS fan, but I am but a blimp on you guys' radars.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And the discussion about the chronological order of tracks on the OST hasn't even started yet!

Hopefully, that gets its own thread, so I can stick around here for a LITTLE bit longer. :)

I'm curious about what people think, although more about the film as a film, and less how it relates to the various characters and plot details etc.

Well, Rogue One is two hours of spectacular visuals, but it's all empty and hollow. The movie didn't make feel anything at all. Disappointing.

The tie-ins to the original film were mostly just distracting (which is probably why we've been discussing them rather than the rest of the film for a page).

I can say with firm belief, that the scene of Vader totally at the height of his powers and evil, just calmly walking through countless rebels and chopping them down effortlessly, is my favourite Vader scene from all the films.

I dunno, maybe I'm just on a totally different wavelength to most people here but I think it must take a special kind of cynicism to come out of this film with anything but a huge grin and feeling hugely satisfied.

I flipping loved it! I thought it was visually fantastic. I felt something for each of our heroes. I enjoyed Krennick as an over-ambitious grunt who was never going to be accepted by Imperial top brass and Vader is finally cool and threatening again.

I thought it expanded the Star Wars universe wonderfully with little touches like seeing Vader's castle (which has longed been talked about but never seen). I cannot wait to see what else they do with the standalone films.

Overall I feel like this is a fantastic addition to the Star Wars canon.

Some random musings:

Gia did okay for the most part, not that I'm in a hurry to acquire the score or anything. I'll probably never listen to it again. An adequate Star Wars score with highs and lows (he's too OTT in places). 

Film is solid enough but feels a bit messy in its first half. Gets noticeably better in it's final action packed act tho. The movie is just a bit loose and too brisk for its own good during the first half, too many changes of place and characters introduced in too short a period of time. Feels somewhat unfocused as a result. 

There's actually a handful of really decent cues, or short musical moments. Other times tho you want him to reign it in a lot, because it's too much. It's not a well spotted movie imo. 

Gia's locale establishing transitions are comparable to Williams though, I have to admit. Very Star Warsy. 

The dodgy CGI for Tarkin and Leia are not one of the movie's problems. 

The space battle effects (CG?) were incredible, some of these best I've ever seen. 

One thing I will say is this movie features the single coolest moment in any Star Wars movie ever.

Oh and the lead is better looking than Daisy Ridley. 

Agreed. But did you notice there was something strange with James Earl Jones' voice? More highpitched somehow. Probably done in post, as he probably speaks differently now as an 85-year-old than he did in his 40s and 50s.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

Agreed. But did you notice there was something strange with James Earl Jones' voice? More highpitched somehow. Probably done in post, as he probably speaks differently now as an 85-year-old than he did in his 40s and 50s.

One of the things that happens as you age is that your vocal chords harden and thin, which narrows the vocal range and pushes it up to higher pitches. 

One thing I'll take away from this movie is that CGI human faces still have problems and are not yet photo realistic. Leia look OK initially but the moment she looked up and started smiling was wierd.

Tarkin had that uncanny valley too.

Yeah, Tarkin had POLAR EXPRESS written all over his murky face. It can still work for creatures like Gollum etc., but real humanbeings? No, that seems FAR off yet.

Ha, ha...I literally disagree with every single one of your points, Marian (except the bit about the lead-up to A NEW HOPE, which I also enjoyed)! Fun times.

I think The Force Awakens probably still pips Rogue One for me, although neither are particularly great movies. Rogue One is more like a war movie compared to your standard Star Wars formula, with a bit of Where Eagles Dare thrown in. 

I really enjoy this film, but how not?? I´m a huge Star Wars fan, and if Rogue One is something it´s a film made by a fan and for Star Wars fans. I prefer TFA, but Rogue One is pure love to the saga. It´s not perfect but it is a good popcorn movie, that fans are going to love. It has great cinematography and effects, good performances, and really cool moments. And the last 30 minutes are pure glory. And I love the music, I think it is pretty good and works really well in the movie (even the Imperial  "nazi" theme).

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The space battle is absolute brilliant I have to admit, which is a bit of an achievement in itself when you consider how desensitised and bored we have become of endless climatic spaceship battles in recent years. It's sheer unadulterated Star Wars here though. 

It was genuinely thrillling stuff I have to agree.

14 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

I didn't like this movie.

Me neither. I didn't see one scene that could hold my interest, the early scene with Mikkelsen in the field being probably the only exception. The rest felt like a fan movie with a very big budget. I could hardly keep my eyes open during the palm tree battle.   

Alex