SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

1 minute ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Why does Vader have a house on Mustafar?

I didn't make sense to me either. And why is there no title card when we get there?

Karol

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Now, the bad. Ohhh the bad.  CGI Tarkin is a disgusting abomination.  It’s an insult to the memory of a great actor who would’ve given a great performance in this film if it was made 40 years ago, but it wasn’t.  It feels so wrong, so unholy.  An example of incredible technicians not giving enough thought to the ethical and emotional implications of their work.  Just cast a lookalike.  It’s not a big deal. My suspension of disbelief can handle it.  I would've been more ok if Leia at the end were the only CGI recreation of an actor (it helps that she's not dead) because it's one shot and one word.  But creating an entire film performance for a dead actor is WRONG.

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because he Must have thought Tatooine was Too Far.

LOL

If it is mustafar... could be any other planet like TFA showed us.

I think it was his meditation castle to reflect on his failures... what better than mustafar, where he was "born" and he killed padme (or so he thinks)

36 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

See! I told you so, man!

Now that i dont read new canon media (it's not EU because it's all canon) I understand the POW of people when things got explained in the EU about the prequels or the OT...and people said 'but i shouldnt read a book to understand a film'

It really is an annoyance. in the old EU since it was not cannon it was not neccesary to know about it, but now it seems you loose most of the information if you dont...

It is Mustafar. 

It is referred to as such in the Art Of book.

The Erso apartment in the flashback is Coruscant.

The planet at the start is Lha'mu.

Theyre the three off the top of my head that weren't given location cards. 

3 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It is Mustafar. 

It is referred to as such in the Art Of book.

The Erso apartment in the flashback is Coruscant.

The planet at the start is Lha'mu.

Theyre the three off the top of my head that weren't given location cards. 

I got coruscant... (it could have been TFA republic capital anyway...)

I dont understand why they titled some planets and other's didnt.

37 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What did you expect?

I agree with most of what you said (especially regarding CG Tarkin, and how it's wrong to "resurrect" a dead actor via CG), though there are two criticisms I find are undeserved:

- I thought the ANH references were kept to a minimum and done well for the most part (the C3PO/R2 cameo was a bit clumsy, but so short it's not annoying). THe only one that bothered me a bit was the two guys from the Cantina, as that moment felt a bit too long to me. All the other characters cameos (Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, the X-Wing pilots) made sense in the universe and were rather tastefully done, in my opinion. I even liked the fact that when Bail Organa mentions Obi-Wan, he doesn't even say his name. It shows the filmmaking team acknowledge the fact the audience is intelligent enough to understand who he's talking about. The SW references were much more heavily handled in TFA, in my opinion (the big fat close-up on the dejarik, the repeated lines of dialogue, the plot being mostly a copy/paste job of ANH...).

- About the film being "unnecessary": well, I guess you're right, but then again, aren't most prequels/sequels unnecessary? What constitutes a "necessary" film in the first place, anyway?

1. All the ones you mentioned as liking are ones I also really liked. All the efforts at setting in the same world as ANH were mostly good. It was the awkward passing direct references that I hated.

2. I don't know why it feels unnecessary to me when the prequels or TFA don't.  Probably because it's filling such a tiny sliver of back story for the first movie with details that don't really add anything.  I want to expand on this but I'm stuck on my phone right now so a lot of typing ain't gonna happen.

34 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Why does Vader have a house on Mustafar?

Who cares? 

Thinking about this move's merits just now, I've surmised that one of the reasons I give it a pass is because it was actually just quite nice to watch a new movie set in the Star Wars universe and not have it constantly bang on about prophesies, chosen one's, or the boring Force all the time. The latter barely even featured at all, and it was a downright novelty! For that Rogue One receives kudos from me. 

I'll still have completely forgotten all about it in a couple of months time of course and I'll probably start slagging it off or something, but let's just take it one day at a time. 

24 minutes ago, Romão said:

12.5 €?

It's half that price over here and I even think it's too expensive

I paid €12.80. But my English cinema of choice has notoriously high prices. We never have to pay extra for a reservation here though, in that theatre or others.

24 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

what better than mustafar, where he was born and ke likked padme (or so he thinks)

Dirty.

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else notice how whenever Mendelsohn's character had a closeup it looked like he was wearing sportswear? 

I thought his uniform was a bit odd. 

Loved it. New favorite bad movie. It was the cinematic equivalent of a raucous college party. Self-destructive and regrettable, but fun in the moment. Worth it alone for Vader's final scene.

Minority opinion: I concur with Quint about Tarkin. I'm not bothered by the ethical implications of this Frankenstein monster. I just thought it was really cool to see a classic villain again. For what it's worth, I thought Stephen Stanton did a better impression of Peter Cushing on Clone Wars/Rebels, but I understand that they wanted to go with the same person for both the motion capture and the voice.

Probably irrelevant but they thank both Carrie Fisher and the Estate of Peter Cushing in the end credits as I assume they had to get their permission/blessing 

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But if I wasn't part of a community that would be discussing this film and it's score heavily for the next few weeks/months I would probably have forgotten about it in a few days.

Forgotten about what?

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TFA's first part was far stronger than Rogue's. It actually took it's time in establishing the new characters. Rogue seems to be more plot-driven. But the plot isnt all that remarkable.

Yeah in future when I own this on blu ray I might pop it in and only watch the three main action setpieces.  They're the parts that work best.

4 hours ago, Romão said:

That is why Poe's introduction in TFA is so well handled. The whole "So who talks first? I talk first, you talk first?" thing is a prime example of what I am reffering to. It immediatly creates an empathy for the character, a sense of what this guy is about. Had any of the Rogue One characters have moments like this, and they would've felt much more alive, instead of being mere gears in the plot progression. Story is always more important than plot

I think that sums it up for me. And why I prefer TFA even though as a film it more derivative and visually JJ's isnt as interesting a director. He does do character scenes very well.

TFA has a small scene on Jakku where Rey is polishing the scrap she took and she looks over and sees an old woman doing the same and for just a moment she pauses, seeing her own future. It only lasts for an instance but it does work. Rogue One doesnt really have anything like that. Also it isnt funny. I know some people will defend it by saying it's supposed to be dark and gritty. But it does try for humour a few times and it falls flat.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But it does try for humour a few times and it falls flat.

I think I liked the droid person a little more than you, but almost every time he made a joke the audience I was with laughed and laughed while I sat there wondering, "That was a pretty clumsy attempt at humor....".

He wasn't actually funny, but I like where his "character" ended up.  I thought the stuff about Jyn starting to trusting him and then him sacrificing himself kind of worked.

Has anyone (other than me) talked about what an amazing image it was when the Star Destroyers crashed into each other and then the shield generator?  It was the highlight of the movie for me.  Thrilling and visually awe-inspiring.  The closest the movie came to splendor.

25 ‘Rogue One’ Rumors That Turned Out to Be False

I always enjoy these.  This site does an article like this for every tentpole movie.  Really shows what a cottage industry has built up around monetizing anticipation of specific movies that random sites will post any 'ol rumor for click traffic.

The blind chap and his mercenary mate were two of the more watchable characters in the movie. 

The droid's dialogue mostly fell flat, except for that one line where he said he can survive in space, which I chuckled at. But yeah, he was no HK-47 (which they had obviously so badly wanted to base the part on). 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Actually the first time we have ever seen a normal Star Destoyer...destroyed.

Of course we should call them Imperial Cruisers. :)

Really?  What was the ship that crashed into the Death Star in Jedi?