SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

I've just seen the film and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. That, George Lucas, is how you make a decent prequel.

Positives:

- Vader's inclusion was pretty tasteful, I'm glad they didn't over do it

- The humour ("Are you kidding?  I'm blind!")

- The score fitted really well with the film I thought

- The general consensus here seems to be that CGI Tarkin and Leia were shite, but I thought they were quite good. Maybe I just haven't seen enough films with more impressive CGI

Negatives

- Some of the callbacks/references were handled a bit clumsily,  the C3PO and R2D2 cameo was unnecessary

-  "I am one with the force and the force is with me"

- Krennick wasn't that great, but what can you expect from a villain who is so low down in the chain of command 

1 hour ago, alextrombone94 said:

I've just seen the film and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. That, George Lucas, is how you make a decent prequel.

Positives:

- Vader's inclusion was pretty tasteful, I'm glad they didn't over do it

- The humour ("Are you kidding?  I'm blind!")

- The score fitted really well with the film I thought

- The general consensus here seems to be that CGI Tarkin and Leia were shite, but I thought they were quite good. Maybe I just haven't seen enough films with more impressive CGI

Negatives

- Some of the callbacks/references were handled a bit clumsily,  the C3PO and R2D2 cameo was unnecessary

-  "I am one with the force and the force is with me"

- Krennick wasn't that great, but what can you expect from a villain who is so low down in the chain of command 

I agree with some of your points.  I am ok with the CGI Tarkin and Leia just because what else could they have done than the state of the art CGI?  I don't think other actors in prosthetics would have been any better.  I did think that Tarkin was sort of hyper realized where his skin blemishes and age spots were maybe too prominent but I was still willing to accept this was the same character.  I liked the C3PO R2D2 cameo since it was Anthony Daniels and still allows them to be in all the films.  That to me is fan service.  I accepted the "I am one with the force and the force is with me" because Imwe wasn't a jedi.  He was a disciple of sorts.  "The force is with me" is a nice variant of "may the force be with you" spoken by a real jedi.  Krennick wasn't a great villian, he was just a henchmen.  The villains were vader (bad ass) and Talkin as they were in ANH. 

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Sttt...Don't tell them.

I know James Earl Jones is not british. But don't tell me he has the same accent as Hayden Christensen!

He speak what... "General American" or "Standard Midwestern"?

Here in Quebec, we say of a person who works on Radio/TV and speaks a very neutral french, that he speaks "Radio-Canada" (litterally like the persons who read news on TV at Radio-Canada (CBS). Of course, nobody in the country speaks like that.

44 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I know James Earl Jones is not british. But don't tell me he has the same accent as Hayden Christensen!

He speak what... "General American" or "Standard Midwestern"?

Here in Quebec, we say of a person who works on Radio/TV and speaks a very neutral french, that he speaks "Radio-Canada" (litterally like the persons who read news on TV at Radio-Canada (CBS). Of course, nobody in the country speaks like that.

Why should Vader sound like Hayden? 

Old Anakin sounds nothing like JEJ in Jedi either. His voice is synthesised because of his scorched vocal chords. 

Its never explained because it's assumed the audience isn't dumb. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Its never explained because it's assumed the audience isn't dumb. 

Sorry, the audience IS dumb. Now in movies, they have to explain everything.

They show Vader in his Castle, they show him in a bacta tank and fans come in their shorts.

I used the accent thing to make a little bit of irony.

Do they showed CG Leia in front of his mirror, making her hair buns? No, this scene was unfortunately cut. :sarcasm:

They say that the film only works for anybody because of the references and nostalgia elements. And that new characters, plot, tone, approach are all boring.

They are great. Some of the best reviews out there.

Karol

Sometimes the videos are too long. I for one do like their sense of humour. But yeah, Rich's voice especially can be annoying. But at the same time he's a clever guy.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If it didn't have Star Wars in its title no one would be talking about it.

This is a point their are actually making. They say Star Wars is essentially very limited in what it can do to make the film successful and they end up rehashing the same visual and plot elements all over again. Which is like Marvel in a way. But at the same time Mavel has a wide variety of characters and setting ranging from s-f to fantasy to comedy to horror. Star Wars could potentially do these things but it would probably suck.

Karol

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Weren't you in the audience then, Bespin? 

The last movie I saw in cinema was Episode VII, and the next one will be Episode VIII.

Going to cinema once in two years is enough for me!!!

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

How did you see Rogue One? 

I didn't see it. One part of me is curious about it, but the other part tells me: you are too old for that kind of movie, it's not for you.

42 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The few ones have seen all start with 5 to 10 minutes of useless stuff having nothing to do with the film itself. I mean, wtf?

That's the point of their reviews,  they do skits as part of a long, overarching storyline. It's great! 

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But Episode VII and VIII are OK?

Well they talk to the kid in me who played with SW toys... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... and there are Jedi and Force users in these movies.

I never loved Star Wars for the war thing, the guns and the spaceships... boring. No, for me Star Wars is a spiritual thing, it's all about the good, the bad, destiny and the Force.

I would have taken more Whills and less Vader in Rogue One.

37 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I didn't see it. One part of me is curious about it, but the other part tells me: you are too old for that kind of movie, it's not for you.

So you're complaining about an audience of people who saw a movie you never saw and also complaining about said movie (you haven't seen) whilst you're at at. 

New millennial critics. The struggle is real. 

I'm 42 yo, I'm not really new in Star Wars matter.

In an other subject, do you think new fans should have seen the old trilogy before seing Rogue One?

Is there someone here who saw Rogue One and no other SW movies before?

I think that series of video reviews are awful.

This is the only video review of Rogue One that's worth any salt, IMO.  Otherwise, an aggregate of reviews helps me figure out whether a movie is skippable, and I just watch a movie and figure out whether I like it.

I know Bloodboal already made one of these kind of videos, but here's another

Whatever they originally had in mind that got Jyn and Cassian participating in the beach assault should have been kept in, as well as her confronting that TIE Fighter!  Damn!

Those half in the bag people are complete hypocrites. I can't help but laugh at the stupidity that exits their mouths.

They actually say that Rogue One is bad because it has so many references to older films, but praise The Force Awakens, which was entirely a remake of A New Hope. Then they make a big [unfunny] joke about why does this film have to have stormtroopers and AT-AT's, and X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Vader etc. Are they mentally okay? That is what Star Wars is. This is a film about stealing the Death Star plans from the Empire. It will be quite difficult to make a film about that without the rebels, the empire, or any of the equipment they both use... And then they seriously praise Force Awakens again, even though that film was packed with older things returning; Han Solo, Leia, Luke, C3PO, R2D2, the Falcon, Vaders mask, X-Wings, a desert planet, a Hoth planet, etc etc. These guys need to rethink their profession because they have no idea what they are talking about. 

10 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Those half in the bag people are complete hypocrites. I can't help but laugh at the stupidity that exits their mouths.

They actually say that Rogue One is bad because it has so many references to older films, but praise The Force Awakens, which was entirely a remake of A New Hope. Then they make a big [unfunny] joke about why does this film have to have stormtroopers and AT-AT's, and X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Vader etc. Are they mentally okay? That is what Star Wars is. This is a film about stealing the Death Star plans from the Empire. It will be quite difficult to make a film about that without the rebels, the empire, or any of the equipment they both use... And then they seriously praise Force Awakens again, even though that film was packed with older things returning; Han Solo, Leia, Luke, C3PO, R2D2, the Falcon, Vaders mask, X-Wings, a desert planet, a Hoth planet, etc etc. These guys need to rethink their profession because they have no idea what they are talking about. 

I think you need to rewatch both reviews

While I agree that Rey was unknown for a reason, and her little stuff scavenging was great (the best part of the film was her scenes on Jakku), and I agree that Jyn had limited story so it lessened the emotional impact, but Rogue One is about a handful of new characters, and it was a war film, so it is hard to dedicate such time to one character without slowing it down even more. I thought there was a lot of emotion though, for me anyway, in those scenes with her hologram dad, which had more emotion and class than Han Solo's death, which was stale and very poorly done. But remember that Rey had that time to get to know her quirks better, because the film was all about her. I know nothing about Poe, or Finn. I know more about Cassian from that one speech he did about being in the resistance since he was a kid, fighting his entire life. In force awakens, they made sure to get you emotionally invested in the characters more because they had the time, with far less action, and those characters are going to be carried throughout 3 films at least, but Rogue One is a war film where everyone dies, so dedicating the first hour to slow, backstory and getting to know 6 or 7 characters completely, would have been so pointless with them just dying 5 minutes later.

Not more pointless that needlessly complicating the plot with a buch of sub missions before the main mission. Developing characters better is never pointless. Story is always much more important than plot

Character development is not about where the characters came from or what their history is. Is about getting a clear sense of their personality, of the things they would and wouldn't do, of what they're about.

Poe, as under utilized as he is in TFA, still manages to make some his personality traits very evident, in a very Star Wars'y way. Plus, I think Oscar Isaac found an absolutely pitch perfect tone to his performance, that absolutely fits in this universe. These things go a long way in making a character likeable and/or recognizable. That's much harder to do than it seems. And absolutely think Rogue One failed in that regard. The characters exist and they do things that serve the plot. But they are barely recognizable

Rey was pretty good as a character - a proper arc and she radiates hope and joy. And she feels like a normal person. 

Jyn is cold and frankly dull as dishwater. Cassian as well. Two woeful leads. 

Then I guess we differ on what is enjoyable. Force Awakens was dedicated to Rey, yet we learnt nothing about her. Han was in it, and they did nothing with him and killed him in a ridiculous, rehashed way.

Rogue One had less time dedicated to the characters personally, but was a far stronger film as a result. They got to the point. Force Awakens point seemed to be to get to Episode 8.

I found Ep 7 far more involving than Rogue One. Which only point seems to be to get to ANH. And by the time it does, it's already forgotten about the characters who were in this film.

What a hollow, empty, by the numbers affair, now I come to think of it.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Which only point seems to be to get to ANH. And by the time it does, it's already forgotten about the characters who were in this film.

Indeed.

Both films aren't particularly remarkable really, but TFA does get you more invested in its characters. And at least you have more to look forward to with their future adventures, whatever they may be.

Rogue One on the other hand, you know exactly what's going to happen to them right from the first act.