SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Actually showing Krennic constantly being  put in his place doesn't help the film itself in any way. It shows off the "badass-ness" of the films two secondary villains at the expense of the main one.

I wonder how they could possibly have made Krennic a clearly truly dangerous villain,

because if they did, then how do you avoid him becoming a carbon copy of Palpatine/Vader/Tarkin.

Not everyone in the Empire can be equally "pure nasty threatening evil", can they? I don't mind they went for something different.

Having just finished reading the "Catalyst" novel that plays just prior to Rogue One, I do now better understand why his character is the way it is.

Shame all of that didn't quite get through within the film itself though, since it did seem like a fairly interesting and different approach to me.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:07 PM, Stefancos said:

Question for Blume, if he's still following this thread.

Regarding the CGI on Tarkin and Leia. If Disney or Lucasfilm had written ILM (or whatever company was responsible for it) a blank cheque, and told them to go away and not come back untill they had created absolutely photorealistic versions of these characters. 100% indistinguishable from how the real actors looked in 1977.

Would they have been able to accomplish this technically?

I think CGI is a lot further than most of us probably realize, but that in films it's often limited by budget and schedule.

Even with the most sophisticated techniques, there is still a high error rate in replicating a real life human without artistic stylization. Just hold out your hand in front of you and see how much subtle movement there is in a hand being held still. Note how these subtle random bits of motor noise cascade down your arm. Just holding out your arm changes how blood flows through your veins and subtly changes the color of your hands.

The amount of variables and their interactions is simply beyond the reach of dollars and technology.

1 minute ago, Blumenkohl said:

Even with the most sophisticated techniques, there is still a high error rate in replicating a real life human without artistic stylization. Just hold out your hand in front of you and see how much subtle movement there is in a hand being held still. Note how these subtle random bits of motor noise cascade down your arm. Just holding out your arm changes how blood flows through your veins and subtly changes the color of your hands.

The amount of variables and their interactions is simply beyond the reach of dollars and technology.

A $10 pair of gloves takes all those problems away. 

4 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But he constantly gets ordered about and marginalized by Tarkin. And when he goes to Mustafar Vader treats him like his bitch and chokes him.

Not much of a villain. 

It adds to the feel that Rogue One was little more then a side story. An interesting anecdote (if that) attached to the main narrative.

I still think that's why it works. For once, it's a "big" new entry in a big film series that, at least in some points, does not try (or even tries not to) outdo the previous films. It deliberately positions itself as a side story and as a result does little to make the original SW, if seen as its sequel, seem underwhelming.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Mendelsohn was good. He reminds me of a young Ian McKellen.

He reminded me at times of McKellen and at times of Harrison Ford. I'd never seen him before, it was slightly uncanny.

Michael Douglas in some superhero movie clip I saw the other day shows that CG human characters can already be completely convincing. It blew me away that did. 

Either Lucasfilm fucked it up with Tarkin and Leia (I didn't think she was all that bad actually), or they didn't have anywhere near as long to work on it as the other people did with Douglas. 

Quintus - remembers how subpar Captain Haddock looked in early Tintin promos. 

They are two separate scenarios.

Michael Douglas: 1) was alive and on the set (unlike Cushing)

and 2) has pretty much the same face and body proportions as his younger self (unlike Fisher)

So in Ant-man, they just had to do some digital de-aging - removing wrinkles, etc.  The actor's face performance was already there.  They didn't have to reproduce subtle movements, etc.  Just smooth everything out.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

One thing I actually find interesting is that Edwards managed to make the destruction of a city look more impressive than the destruction of a planet in the original film, and as a result, the Death Star seems really terrifying even though it's not fully operational. Quite a feat.

Gareth Edwards should have made Independence Day Resurgence.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Meh....

Douglas looked good, but certainly not 100% realistic.

By all accounts "realism" is subjective anyway. Show that clip to anybody who doesn't know who Douglas is and they wouldn't bat an eye. Show it to people who do recognise him and most still wouldn't question it. 

That work is on another level to what ILM(?) did with Rogue One. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Michael Douglas in some superhero movie clip I saw the other day shows that CG human characters can already be completely convincing. It blew me away that did. 

Either Lucasfilm fucked it up with Tarkin and Leia (I didn't think she was all that bad actually), or they didn't have anywhere near as long to work on it as the other people did with Douglas. 

Quintus - remembers how subpar Captain Haddock looked in early Tintin promos. 

The Ant-Man young Douglas is more of an animated photoshop than a fully CGI character. Not to diminish the amazing work, just a different technique. 

Digital rotoscoping ;)

The fidelity is still there though, the CG eyes sparkle with life. Fully realised CG human characters being the norm in movies is right around the corner, it no longer feels futuristic. 

The ideal scenario would be no fifth movie. 

So considering I don't want another Indiana Jones movie, this state of the art approach would be the only thing which would get me interested again, the sheer daring of it just for starters. I'd totally get behind something like that. Blame Indiana Jones 4. 

But why stop there? If they're intent on forcing through another Indy movie, I really wish they'd just give up on live action entirely, at this point. 

On 6-1-2017 at 3:33 PM, BloodBoal said:

One thing I actually find interesting is that Edwards managed to make the destruction of a city look more impressive than the destruction of a planet in the original film, and as a result, the Death Star seems really terrifying even though it's not fully operational. Quite a feat.

Was it really not quite operational yet? I understood that they deliberately targeted only a city and a base.

But Krennic intended to destroy the whole planet, until Tarkin said that wasn't necessary.

Which is a bit of an odd character move for Tarkin actually, come to think of it....

13 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Was it really not quite operational yet? I understood that they deliberately targeted only a city and a base.

But Krennic intended to destroy the whole planet, until Tarkin said that wasn't necessary.

Which is a bit of an odd character move for Tarkin actually, come to think of it....

In ANH before destroying alderaan an officer tells tarkin that finally all systems are operational and that they made the final tests)

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

In ANH before destroying alderaan an officer tells tarkin that finally all systems are operational and that they made the final tests)

It takes about an hour to get a cruiseship ready for departure as well, but that has nothing to do with the systems not working.

You have to switch on all the systems one by one, then do all the regular pre-departure checks to help ensure they do actually still work.

So I always just assumed that meant "we finished the regular pre-fire sequence and are ready to proceed".

On 6/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, Quintus said:

Digital rotoscoping ;)

The fidelity is still there though, the CG eyes sparkle with life. Fully realised CG human characters being the norm in movies is right around the corner, it no longer feels futuristic. 

In the case of Douglas Ant-Man, i'm pretty sure they wouldnt waste resources creating CGI eyes when they had the real deal....

I was 99% sure neither Downey Jr nor Douglas were actually replaced by CGI. A bit of augmentation in places, but definitely not replaced. There's no way their faces were fully CG, at least.

ABC NEWS VIDEO SHOWS K-2SO AND CASSIAN ALTERNATE FATE FROM STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE?

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/abc-news-video-shows-k-2so-and-jyns-alternate-fate-from-star-wars-rogue-one/

(Sorry for the all caps headline)