Which do you prefer? "Across the Stars" or "Rey's Theme"?

Josh500

Which do you prefer? "Across the Stars" or "Rey's Theme"?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer? "Across the Stars" or "Rey's Theme"?

• "Across the Stars"
    • "Rey's Theme"

A rhythmic figure, an ostinato -- but with no defined thematic line on top. To its credit, "Rey's Theme" DOES have a melodic line (it's not like Desplat!), but like all of Williams' music in the last decade, it doesn't feel very defined, IMO. Or developped. It's like the beginning of something that never takes off.

But at this point, I give up. Just goes to show how impossible it is to discuss the mechanics of music without a proper musical language.

Forget everything I've said, and let me boil it down to this -- the only acceptable response:

I still think STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is a disappointing score, despite certain highlights. "Rey's Theme" is one such highlight, but it doesn't do that much for me. At least when compared to previous STAR WARS themes. Don't ask me to provide any reasoning or details. I'm incapable! :D

Oh....and "Across the Stars" still kicks "Rey's Theme" any day of the week!

A few things:

1) They both share similar relative proportions and are long-lined - Rey's is in fact the broader of the two in form, yet is modular enough to undergo far more evolution than the lyrical and more repetitive ATS lends itself to 

2) Variation and development are not the same thing.  ATS is varied, Rey's theme does actually develop somewhat, due to what I mentioned above 

3) The number of classic Williams themes that don't have some underlying "rhythmic figure" is rather low - this has nothing to do with the year 2005 in any way

4) If we must have critics, and I don't believe we do, they should be unimpeachably informed on their chosen subject

Thor, I think most of us musically uneducated people do a fair job in making ourselves understood. You just have a tendency to form opinions that arent really defensible. Which is fine. They are your opinions and you are entitles to them. But don't blame the fact that you can't properly explain or convince other people on a lack of musical education.

1 minute ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

2) Variation and development are not the same thing.  ATS is varied, Rey's theme does actually develop somewhat, due to what I mentioned above 

This has become something of a pet peeve of mine lately. When people talk about how a theme is developed throughout a film or franchise. Mostly it's just variation. In the case of Howards Shore's work for LOTR we can speak of thematic development, in some cases, certainly not all. But mostly it's just variations.

They are both fine themes which I can definitely enjoy (and I certainly understand that they are well constructed!), but I never had a moment where I was just listening over and over and over again, or it was running through my head repeatedly, and I was just absolutely enamored of it. I remember having such a moment with "The People's House" theme from Lincoln, for instance. Or the Superman main title. Or "Harry's Wondrous World." Or the Jurassic Park theme. Etc.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I don't even know what masculine and feminine mean anymore, 

A lot of men these days are struggling with these social constructs because they have rules that they might not necessarily want to follow.

Women, however, are sharply attuned to what is deemed and perceived socially as "masculine" and "feminine", and have a very strict adherence to it due to their more rigid conformist nature. If you're a man and she detects even a microbe of alleged femininity in your personality informed by the things that interest you, what you talk about, your attitude and aggression (or lack thereof), then her cave woman instincts automatically activate and she immediately dismisses you as a potential sexual partner. She doesn't necessarily think you're gay, but she no longer sees you as a protector. All because you might like a daytime soap.

the main theme of Across the Stars is my least favourite part of it, so from that perspective I do prefer Rey's main motif that plays after the glockenspiel section. however, the bridge section of ATS is absolutely gorgeous it just screams Original Trilogy to me intermingled with the golden age of hollywood, and the integration of the mystery motif sets the precedent that this relationship is taking place during a war. I especially love the martial trumpets that accompany that part which accentuate that fact.

so from a majority perspective, I choose Across the Stars.

Confession time. I used to avoid the track "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones" at all costs like it was the planet Earth in Star Trek IV because I found the refrain a bit cloying even if I loved the bridge. It was good in the score, though. In my old age, I've warmed up to it.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Brilliant and complex composition. Far more advanced than Rey's theme!

I thought you preferred "Rey's Theme"?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Sarcasm Thor...sarcasm...

Ah. I don't have a sense of humour and all that.

But your sarcastic statement is one I would actually use in all sincerity -- hence the confusion.

Sarcasm really only works if the statement seems outlandish or in contrast to popular opinion. I can't see how Stefan's comment was. If anything, it seemed sensible.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jesus Christ Thor! Are you now gonna take the opposite stance when it comes to me?

Alvar, who isnt actually called Alvar and I were joking. If you can't detect that than please take my Jason's word for it!

Maybe we should add emoticons to make it clearer. ;);):P:lol::mellow:;);)