Rhythm In Motion - original scores

WatchOutDave

Hi JWFan,

I'm trying to locate where the original scores to Rhythm in Motion are located. Sources told me that UNT had them, but the librarian didn't know. Hoping to analyze them as part of a jazz research grant at my university.

Cheers!

Are we talking about this album?

p_cl1667.jpg

Rhythm in Motion (1961, Columbia, CL 1667)

Fascinatin' Rhythm; The Varsity Drag; The Surrey With the Fringe on Top; Let's Do It; Put on a Happy Face; Whatever Lola Wants; Johnny One Note; An Occasional Man; My Heart Belongs to Daddy; Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries; Sunny Disposish; Buckle Down Winsocki.

p_cs8467.jpg

(Released in 1961, Columbia, CS 8467, Stereo)

CD reissues:

p_vol9no8.jpg

p_vol9no8b.jpg

Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion (1960/1961) (2006, Film Score Monthly, FSMCD Vol. 9, No. 8, Compilation)

CHECKMATE: Theme From Checkmate; The Isolated Pawn; Cyanide Touch; Far Out Place; Hassle In The Castle; En Passant; The Black Night; Fireside Eyes; The Bishop's Retreat; Queen's Sacrifice; Shy Youth; The King Swings; RHYTHM IN MOTION: Fascinatin' Rhythm; The Varsity Drag; The Surrey With the Fringe on Top; Let's Do It; Put on a Happy Face; Whatever Lola Wants; Johnny One Note; An Occasional Man; My Heart Belongs to Daddy; Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries; Sunny Disposish; Buckle Down Winsocki.

p_bmcd858.jpg

Rhythm in Motion/So Nice! with Johnny Desmond (2015, Fresh Sound Records, BMCD 858, Compilation)

Music arranged and conducted by Johnny Williams; Featuring Johnny Williams (p); Three Bonus tracks composed and performed by Johnny Williams: Tuesday's Theme, The Black Knight, Augie's Great Piano.

Many of those pieces became "standards" and where covered many many many times since the 60's... good luck to find any "original" music sheet!

Like Richard suggested, for those kind of anthology pieces, I think the key is to listen to them and retranscribe them by ear.

And if you look for the music sheets of the specific modern and sophisticated brass arrangements JW did for this album... I think it's more complicated!

I have been transcribing it. Because of time, I wouldn't be able to get as many scores analyzed by transcribing. I'm also interested in how the doubles were written into the part (and who ended up playing them). That's why I'm looking for the scores.

21 minutes ago, WatchOutDave said:

I'm also interested in how the doubles were written into the part (and who ended up playing them).

Personnel on Rhythm in Motion:

JOHNNY WILLIAMS and His Orchestra
Pete Candoli, Ray Triscari, Joe Triscari, Frank Beach (tp); Vince De Rosa, Dick Perissi, John Cave (Frh); Dick Nash, Lloyd Ulyate, Dick Noel, Milt Bernhart, Dick Noel (tb); Sam Rice (tuba); Harry Klee, Ted Nash, Ronny Lang (as, fl); Justin Gordon, Gene Cipriano (ts, fl); Chuck Gentry (bs); Jimmy Rowles (p); Bob Bain (g); Dorothy Remsen (harp); Joe Mondragon (b); Jerry Williams, Shelly Manne (d); Larry Bunker, Frank Flynn, John F. Williams (perc).
Columbia Records Studio, Hollywood, April 28, May 2 & 4, 1961

Source: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/johnny-williams-albums/6289-rhythm-in-motion-so-nice-2-lps-on-1-cd.html

On 12/18/2016 at 7:50 PM, Bespin said:

Personnel on Rhythm in Motion:

JOHNNY WILLIAMS and His Orchestra
Pete Candoli, Ray Triscari, Joe Triscari, Frank Beach (tp); Vince De Rosa, Dick Perissi, John Cave (Frh); Dick Nash, Lloyd Ulyate, Dick Noel, Milt Bernhart, Dick Noel (tb); Sam Rice (tuba); Harry Klee, Ted Nash, Ronny Lang (as, fl); Justin Gordon, Gene Cipriano (ts, fl); Chuck Gentry (bs); Jimmy Rowles (p); Bob Bain (g); Dorothy Remsen (harp); Joe Mondragon (b); Jerry Williams, Shelly Manne (d); Larry Bunker, Frank Flynn, John F. Williams (perc).
Columbia Records Studio, Hollywood, April 28, May 2 & 4, 1961

Source: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/johnny-williams-albums/6289-rhythm-in-motion-so-nice-2-lps-on-1-cd.html

Right. I'm thinking more about how the woodwind doubles were divided up (there's also an uncredited oboist).

I wish these charts will be officially published one day, as they are some of the most brilliant ever penned by JW. Williams performed "Buckle Down Winsocki" with the Pops in 2004 and also "The Varsity Drag" a few times (even with Seth McFarlane singing at the Bowl a few years ago).

Always loved the back cover of the LP:

rhythm_back.jpg

18 hours ago, WatchOutDave said:

Right. I'm thinking more about how the woodwind doubles were divided up (there's also an uncredited oboist).

They don't credit oboists, because most of the time, they don't deserve it !