The Daily Mirror John Williams article (aka the "John Williams has never seen Star Wars!" thread)

Not Mr. Big

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2016 at 9:49 AM, Quintus said:

Turns out people here don't know the Maestro like they think they do. 

You are smarter than that though. A 26 minute interview paired down to a few "juicy" loose sentences, with all the context removed.

That's the English press in a nutshell! 

On 12/24/2016 at 2:00 AM, Richard said:

No, you're not a psychologist, are you. 

Psychologists do not diagnose mental disorders ("mental condition"?!),  that is done by psychiatrists. 

Do you know of Dr. Freud?

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You are smarter than that though. A 26 minute interview paired down to a few "juicy" loose sentences, with all the context removed.

That's the English press in a nutshell! 

Did they use his dead composers story? Don't tell me they missed that out! 

In a shocking revelation John Williams revealed that he actually has never seen a Star Wars movie in his life (via TheMirror Link):

:

I let it go. I have not looked at the Star Wars films and that’s absolutely true. When I’m finished with a film, I’ve been living with it, we’ve been dubbing it, recording to it, and so on. You walk out of the studio and, “Ah, it’s finished.”

Now I don’t have an impulse to go to the theater and look at it. Maybe some people find that weird, or listen to recordings of my music very, very rarely.

True or not?

He means after finishing scoring them, and who can blame him?

He probably saw each Star Wars movie hundreds of times just working on them and during the recording sessions....

While anything printed in the Daily Mirror, The Sun or Daily (Hate) Mail should automatically be taken with a hefty pinch of salt, I can readily believe that Williams never sat down to watch a completed SW film. He might not feel the need to after he's worked on them so much! I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for a lot of the films he has worked on, and for other composers (and directors, actors etc) too.

There is one thing though - do you think this might be why he thought Across The Stars was the first love theme in the saga? ;)

Oh I absolutely believe it. These movies are part of his job. He watches them professionally. But I doubt he ever pops in a DVD or a rainy evening.

Williams has gone on record several times anyway saying that he doesn't watch movies a lot. And if he does I doubt he picks one which he saw professionally 50 to 100 times.

I've heard plenty of stories of cast and crew attending premiers for their films and either sneaking out before it starts or using the time to catch up on some sleep.

29 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

I've heard plenty of stories of cast and crew attending premiers for their films and either sneaking out before it starts or using the time to catch up on some sleep.

Makes sense for the actors who sometimes have to attend multiple premieres in different cities.

I guess JW would rather the nap time! :)