RIP Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds

mrbellamy

1 hour ago, curlytoot said:

Sorry. I mean, she definitely was unfairly criticized for various things. I just hate how there has to be a word for everything. Just sounds like SJW-speak.

Would you rather there be no words and just sounds? I'm thoroughly confused. Never seen anyone complain about a language having words before. 

27 minutes ago, karelm said:

:crymore:Damn you 2016!  Just end already. 

And when 2017 begins and progresses, and celebrities are still popping off, will people still be blaming the year?

9 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I wish she had persuaded Lucas to let her do a page one rewrite for The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, rather than just a dialogue polish. She would've brought so much more to the table.

I'd hate to think how the dialogue sounded before she was hired!

I guess I'm the only one failing to see the significance of her passing while living on planet earth in 2016. 

My sympathy to her close family, but the rest of us should really grieve for and worry about things, other than an excavated former movie star, a shoehorned role in 2015, and the sad look back to old masturbation fantasies.

My brother wonders if they'll get someone else who looks like her to replace her in Episode 9.

To be honest I really hope they do like what they did for Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek Beyond.  That there was the best tribute for Leonard and they need to do something similar for Carrie.

34 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I'd hate to think how the dialogue sounded before she was hired!

Lucas probably reinserted some of his lines back during shooting, like "I'm a person and my name is Anakin!"

And I doubt Fisher would've done anything useful with Jar-Jar Binks. She probably would've written him out, since he offered little impact on the story.

39 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I guess I'm the only one failing to see the significance of her passing while living on planet earth in 2016. 

People think the year is murdering celebrities. A very bizarre collective meme.

I just landed an hour ago, and I open my phone to this...

I was really hoping she would pull through... :(

Rest in peace, Princess.

7 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Facebook is nothing but "Damn you 2016!!"

Gimmie a break. It's almost as bad as "in the wake of".

I know! 

Here's the top 3 most tedious things heard lately:

1. In the wake of 

2. Damn you 2016 

3. Drax talking about those trends

Just now, Quintus said:

I know! 

Here's the top 3 most tedious things heard lately:

1. In the wake of 

2. Damn you 2016 

3. Drax groaning about said trends

Fixed.

Your original post made it sound like I was aroused by it or something.

9 hours ago, Uni said:

At nineteen years of age, she played a person of authority with more gusto and pure cajones than most male actors did in those days (and still do, come to think of it). She was always older and smarter than her years. It's unfortunate the toll that her personal issues took on her, but she showed amazing character (and more cajones) by turning her experiences into words that others could share, understand, and relate to.

These are cajones:

cajones-abiertos-10776999.jpg

I think the word you're looking for is "cojones".

But, yes, agreed.

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Princess Leia's theme is on the front page of Reddit currently following the news of her passing. It would seem that, after this distressing event, many are finding some sort of solace in William's music.

Both the LSO and the Boston Pops shared their recordings of the theme yesterday.

Which made me think: In my opinion, Leia's theme belongs in any list, however short, of Williams's best themes. But it's really closely tied to not just the character, but the actress playing the character as well, so much so that lots of people immediately posted it after Fisher's death. But that must work both ways: Imagine someone else had been cast as Princess Leia. Wouldn't the theme have been quite different?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Probably not. Because the theme doesn't really fit the character much at all. But far more Luke's idea of her when he views the hologram.

Every 100,000 posts or so, Stefan, you make a very good point.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Probably not. Because the theme doesn't really fit the character much at all. But far more Luke's idea of her when he views the hologram.

It doesn't so much fit the character as written/plotted, no. But I think your point includes my point: It fits, and I think not by accident, the appearance of the character as performed by Fisher.

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I think the word you're looking for is "cojones".

But, yes, agreed.

Ooooo . . . nice catch. :thumbup:  (Interesting, isn't it, that one letter separates "drawers" from the things we keep in our drawers, yes?)