RIP Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds

mrbellamy

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Different circumstances. The actress was still alive and she agreed to it.

I know. I too believe that likeness should be posthumously respected and left alone. I was simply making an observation.

Unless they had specific permission from Fisher (which they may), they won't be able to do with her Episode IX what they did with Cushing in Rogue One. Without getting too much into the weeds on this, California has right of publicity protections for performers for such eventualities; in the UK, where Cushing was a resident, there's currently no right of publicity after death.

"I signed my likeness away. Every time I look in the mirror, I have to send George a couple of bucks." - Carrie Fisher.

She was one of my favourite people. I'm Bipolar too, and she really was an inspiration.

The Force will be with her, always.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

She was one of my favourite people. I'm Bipolar too, and she really was an inspiration.

Saw her a while ago on an old of of QI. She was very funny and warm. She certainly didn't deserve some of the sickening ageist and body shaming comments she got  about a year ago.

I saw that QI, and she was just on 8 out of 10 Cats (a similar show) last night for their Christmas special, which I happened to catch.  Obviously she filmed it here in the UK, and as far as I know it was the last public appearance she made.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There were two excellent performances in the original Star Wars. One was by Peter Cushing. The other was by Carrie Fisher.

One of the best themes of Williams' career. RIP, Carrie.

31 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

"I signed my likeness away. Every time I look in the mirror, I have to send George a couple of bucks." - Carrie Fisher.

The Force will be with her, always.

Except it won't be, because the Force doesn't really exist. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What? Harrison Ford, Alec Guinness, and James Earl Jones were great too! 

Ford seemed a bit awkward and unsure how to handle his character in the first film, although he was of course brilliant in ESB. Guinness was mainly bored. Jones "only" did voice acting. To me, Star Wars has two performances that clearly stand out, and those are Cushing and Fisher.

(If you list Ford, Guinness and Jones, Hamill shouldn't be left out, because I think he was pretty good in his role, and more convincingly at home in it to me than either Ford or Guinness)

I've seen that others have been discussing what to do with the Leia character now. Ep. 8 is done filming, although there should be reshoots still scheduled (?). 

I think that Leia needs to be dead by the end of Ep. 8. The best case would be if that's already in the story.

If not, I hope they use CGI to create a death scene that delivers a proper goodbye, as Han's did. Perhaps there is a late film action scene where Leia barely survives. They could do some reshoots and CGI work to change that, perhaps. I dunno. Or even have Leia fly away to retire in peace at some point? Maybe it would be too difficult. But I don't want Leia in Ep. 9, since that would require a different actress or tons of CGI. 

What's really amazing is how endeared she became to a whole new generation with The Force Awakens. And I'm not just talking about the movie, but that amazing promotional tour she did for the film.  Her humour and wit just won people over by droves, and were it not for that I'm not sure the internet would be reacting today the way it is, it would be more old school fans.

I'm glad so many people got to know of her, and her struggles, over the past year. She was my first crush and was a big part of why Star Wars changed my life. This hits me harder than I thought it would, and she'll be sorely missed.

And she knows.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Saw her a while ago on an old of of QI. She was very funny and warm. She certainly didn't deserve some of the sickening ageist and body shaming comments she got  about a year ago.

"Ageist"? "Body shaming"? Gosh, I loathe PC lingo.

So sad she couldn't pull through. If only it hadn't happened on the plane, she might've been in a hospital earlier, and things might've turned out differently.

At nineteen years of age, she played a person of authority with more gusto and pure cajones than most male actors did in those days (and still do, come to think of it). She was always older and smarter than her years. It's unfortunate the toll that her personal issues took on her, but she showed amazing character (and more cajones) by turning her experiences into words that others could share, understand, and relate to. 

So glad she got to do one more Star Wars film (and, from what I understand, there's plenty of footage of her for the next one as well). Even so, though, she's going to be missed. I was thinking this is similar in scope to the loss of Leonard Nimoy last year, but really, it's much closer to what losing James Horner was like—unexpected, and far sooner than should have been the case.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but I remember seeing it a couple of years ago. I'm not 100% sure if it was a Christmas film or not but I have a vague impression it was... Carrie Fisher played a ghost that was trying to convince the main character to get into the Christmas spirit... or something like that.

EDIT: Yep, it was this one. One of the countless Christmas Carol adaptations and retellings: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2181853/

Fisher was an absolute force of nature. Anyone who watched her Twitter feed last year knew the epic smackdown of the ageist and sexist comments about her looks in The Force Awakens, and she was incredibly funny. And she was one of my first crushes too.

She will be missed. It's crushing, in the wake of all these entertainers we're losing this year.

I'm currently rewatching The Next Generation and this particular quote from Picard from a recent episode I watched seems very appropriate:

"It's ironic, isn't it? All this magnificent technology, and we still find ourselves susceptible to the ravages of old age... loss of dignity... the slow betrayal of our bodies by forces we cannot master"

Probably my favorite non-Star Wars performance of hers was in the Woody Allen movie Hannah and Her Sisters.  I wish Woody had cast her in more of his movies, I think she fit into his film world very comfortably.

I love Carrie for her insistence on asserting her own intelligence and personality and for trying to user her iconic status as a force for good in this world.  She will be dearly missed.

1 hour ago, alextrombone94 said:

I didn't realise how highly she was regarded as a script doctor

I wish she had persuaded Lucas to let her do a page one rewrite for The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, rather than just a dialogue polish. She would've brought so much more to the table.