Stanley and Iris - Twilight Time Blu Ray coming January 2017 features isolated score track

filmmusic

Just announced by Twilight time!!!

stanley_and_iris_xlg.jpg

I guess this will have an isolated score option, as most TT blurays do, but I'm not sure if it will have effects too.

One of my most wanted films on Bluray.

This is a gem, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes simple, small films..

And i LOVE the Williams score.

• 1 month later...

More news on TT's release of Stanley & Iris (emphasis added):

"... Featuring a marvelously understated and moodily engaging score by John Williams and with a strong supporting ensemble populated by Swoosie Kurtz, Martha Plimpton, Harley Cross, Jamey Sheridan, Feodor Chaliapin and Zohra Lampert, Stanley & Iris is wholly, charmingly and movingly in keeping with that assessment. Twilight Time’s hi-def Blu-ray comes with the Williams score on an Isolated Track and an enlightening Audio Commentary by resident and quite literate TT scholars Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman when it arrives January 17. Preorders open January 4. ..."

Link: http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/the-ritt-stuff/

That's nice, but I wish there were a featurette with Williams interviews. Long shot, I know.

We don't often talk about the Ritt/Williams collaboration, but they did three movies together -- PETE'N'TILLIE, CONRACK and STANLEY & IRIS. All fine scores. CONRACK and STANLEY & IRIS are decent films (at least at their best), PETE'N'TILLIE flaunders a bit too much in sappy melodrama.

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

Stanley & Iris is wholly, charmingly and movingly in keeping with that assessment. Twilight Time’s hi-def Blu-ray comes with the Williams score on an Isolated Track 

Great news!

Hopefully Varese issues a new CD soon, then! (they have perpetuity rights, so no other label can).

If Varese releases a new CD of the score with everything on the Blu Ray track, then you won't have to rip it.

on Stanley and Iris
Release Date: January 17th, 2017.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, January 4th at 4 pm EST.
Special Features: Isolated Music Track / Audio Commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman / Original Theatrical Trailer

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, we've been talking about that on this page already.  Can't wait!

well, hoping it doesn't have fx.

some blurays were advertised as having an iso score but it was really a music & FX track/

• 3 weeks later...

Screen archives lists Stanley and Iris (1990) as available for pre-order on January 4th.

I haven't seen any mention of this here at jwfan. Does anyone know if this is a reissue or an expanded release?

I sold my copy of S&I years ago, and have been keeping an eye out for it on eBay lately to see if I can reacquire it at a reasonable price. Though not my top choice for an expanded release, I am happy to see it will be available again.

A wonderful score indeed!

I haven't heard anything about a reissue, but from what I understand, it's getting hard to find. So go ahead -- rerelease it so that more people can hear it. If it's expanded or not, I don't care. I have the original Varese and am content with that. But it's a score that deserves some 'buzz'.

We don't often talk about the Martin Ritt/John Williams connection, which counts STANLEY & IRIS, CONRACK and PETE'N'TILLIE.

It may be a simple reissue.

That's a nice soundtrack which I acquired recently... of course, now it will be reissued...

I'll tell you the used CDs I buy and you'll know which will be reissued just few month later! It always happens to me! :sarcasm:

The pre-order is for the Twilight Time Blu-ray release of the film, not a CD.  The Blu-ray will have an isolated score audio track.

This has been discussed in the "Williams filmography in Bluray - a list" starting HERE.

• 2 weeks later...
 - Dear TT, I have a question about the isolated music track in this which interests me very much: It has no FX, right? I mean, have you used the original recording sessions?
- Twilight Time Movies Yes, the original scoring sessions - no fx.

about Stanley and Iris bluray!

:)

But an isolated score is, excuse me, not very interresting... It means a lot of fade-in, fade-out... merging.... constant volume variations. It's practically unlistenable all alone.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Since they said they used the recording sessions (not the film stems), I'd assume there will be not volume variations.

Yes, who said that... Do they really understood the question...

You need to lower the volume when music is in the background and characters are speaking. If I remember the Witches Eastwick isolated score... that's interresting in an archival point of view... but it needs a lot of adjustments to be listenable. Like there are a lot of adjustments in the archival CD of Fitzwilly.

I doubt there's a lot of music not on the soundtrack, for those who care about such things. It's relatively sparsely spotted, from what I can remember.

Anyways @Bespin, if the prodiucer of a DVD/Blu Ray just grabs the music stem (or music + effects stem of older movie) and just plops that on the disc then yes, there will be volume dips, etc.  If you hire a competent editor - like say, Mike Matessino - to craft a new isolated score from the recording sessions, then you don't have that.  Just look at the iso scores Mike did for Alien, Aliens, The Fury, etc.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Anyways @Bespin, if the prodiucer of a DVD/Blu Ray just grabs the music stem (or music + effects stem of older movie) and just plops that on the disc then yes, there will be volume dips, etc.  If you hire a competent editor - like say, Mike Matessino - to craft a new isolated score from the recording sessions, then you don't have that.  Just look at the iso scores Mike did for Alien, Aliens, The Fury, etc.

It still remains to "fit" with the movie, so it implies a lot of EDITS, compared to the score. For me, that's only interresting when we don't have anything else.

Does a drama like Stanley and Iris has a lot of cue editing the way a modern action block buster does, though?

Anyways, obviously we all hope that Varese will release a Deluxe Edition to tie into the release of the Twilight Time blu ray.

"How many edits are in the movie soundtrack" is not the point.

What I try to say is in 2016... oops 2017, as specialized labels sucessfully (I think) established "Expanded Scores" albums as a niche market... we absolutely don't care anymore for isolated scores on DVD or Blu-Ray.

I mean, if you still care... I don't understand why.

That's your opinion.  I think isolated scores are awesome.

Watching Jerry Goldsmith's score to Alien, and James Horner's score to Aliens, synced to picture properly for the first time was fascinating!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

That's your opinion.  I think isolated scores are awesome.

Watching Jerry Goldsmith's score to Alien, and James Horner's score to Aliens, synced to picture properly for the first time was fascinating!

Of course, that's my opinion.  What do you think I'm doing here?

I'm here to promote another vision of... fandom... I would say.

And I love to be the only one in a place to say a thing, when all the others says : beeeeeee. :P

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You are quite ordinary.

Do you realize that's the nicest thing you said to me, thanks!