Stanley and Iris - Twilight Time Blu Ray coming January 2017 features isolated score track

filmmusic

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't see it selling out quickly.  A mostly forgotten movie with a mostly forgotten Williams score? (no judgment on its quality).

You're probably right - but you never know.  I'm personally going ot pre-order right away.

I missed out on Twilight Time's Conrack release.  I got their The Fury though!

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Plus, it's an isolated score, and you can list it in a discography, so it's worthless.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « "lex luthor" ah ah ah »

Ha ha ha...

Back on the subjet....

They will sell copies very quickly ... yes, 3, but very quickly.

Twilight Time series of BR and DVDs is done as limited releases and it's focused mostly on old and obscure titles, so I don't think any of their titles ever sold more than the initial pressing.

Btw, their Blu-ray of The Fury contains the full scoring sessions synced with film, with studio chat in between takes included.

I love isolated scores. It appeals very much to my 'film interest' side (and how music works in context). So I'd be interested in checking this out. I have a digital version of STANLEY & IRIS, and I think I've seen the movie twice. It's an OK affair -- pretty straightforward class issue love drama. No masterpiece, though. The gorgeous Williams score is probably the best part of it.

At some point in time, I want to start collecting Williams films on legit formats, but it will be somewhere down the road. I've seen them all, and own them in some kind of format (whether DVD or files), but there's something about having them all on a shelf.

That's a great question. Some googling led to to find this:

3) Region Locking: There are only three Twilight Time titles that are Region A locked. These are The Bullet Train, Heaven and Earth, and The Disappearance. Also, the initial pressings of The Roots of Heaven were Region A locked (subsequent pressings are Region Free).

All other Twilight Time releases are Region Free.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=182882

On 4/1/2017 at 3:32 PM, Bespin said:

But an isolated score is, excuse me, not very interresting... It means a lot of fade-in, fade-out... merging.... constant volume variations. It's practically unlistenable all alone.

From what I remember another Williams iso score in a TT BLuray (The Fury) was really the recording sessions. It had even the bit of a dialogue on the start of each cue.

Another iso score I had checked (Nicholas and Alexandra) in aTT bluray had even the complete cues, when the cue in the film was dialed out.

I suspect there are different types of "isolated scores".

I think on some movie discs, it's the music track, made to be mixed with the voices and fx. So there are volume variations (eg. The Witches of Eastwick DVD.)

And, on others, as some points out here, it's a track made especially to be listened all alone.  So as I understand.... without volume variations (and perhaps less edits)? 

Am I right?

yes, the first is an iso + FX score, and features all the volume variations etc.

The iso score that features the music alone, usually won't have the volume variations, but it will have the edits inside the cue so as to match the action on screen.

Of course if the edit has been in the end and in the film the cue just dies out, in the iso score it could continue.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

I missed out on Twilight Time's Conrack release. 

huh? You didn't miss it. (you missed the December sale that included it though)

It's not OOP. It's still there!  ;)

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/26735/CONRACK-1974/

I blind bought it , and this film was a wonderful surprise.

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes.

So, it's the jungle.

It may need to be documented on a website with a lot of categories.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I suspect there are different types of "isolated scores".

I think on some movie discs, it's the music track, made to be mixed with the voices and fx. So there are volume variations (eg. The Witches of Eastwick DVD.)

And, on others, as some points out here, it's a track made especially to be listened all alone.  So as I understand.... without volume variations (and perhaps less edits)? 

Am I right?

Yes, I literally already said that.

58 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

huh? You didn't miss it. (you missed the December sale that included it though)

It's not OOP. It's still there!  ;)

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/26735/CONRACK-1974/

I blind bought it , and this film was a wonderful surprise.

What? That's so weird!  When I was at screenarchives.com ordering Stanley and Iris, I typed "conrack" into the search window and it didn't come up!  How weird!

If we suppose the guy who answered in behalf of Twilight Time Movies, understood the subtility of the question.

So there is a possibility that you ordered a BluRay that only contains an isolated score taked out the film "stems".

You are not sure at 100 %.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If we suppose the guy who answered in behalf of Twilight Time Movies, understood the subtility of the question.

So you may have ordered a BluRay that only contains an isolated score taked out the film "stems".

I don't think so.

The film stems are usually used when the iso score has FX too.

When they use the recording sessions, they don't do anything to the volume.

1 minute ago, hornist said:

and she is the lucky one, she is going to  get 2 cool BLUs...ROTFLMAO

"Not another movie you want to watch, just because of the music we hear in the background?"

As far as CONRACK is concerned, there ain't a lot of music. There's the main titles (released on FSM) and bits and bobs throughout the film, probably totalling at some 15-20 minutes, maximum. The film is OK, but it's no DEAD POET'S SOCIETY.

On 1/5/2017 at 10:23 AM, filmmusic said:

I don't think so.

The film stems are usually used when the iso score has FX too.

Not so. The film stems were used to create the isolated score for The Bounty, and from what I heard, film stems were also used on The Russia House. Both of those isolated scores contained no sound effects

On 1/5/2017 at 7:42 AM, hornist said:

Stupid question, they are selling this in the USA, so is it region locked? I didnt find any information there.

Official product page says its region free!

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/stanley-and-iris-blu-ray/

I didn't realize before that Mike Matessino does ALL the isolated music tracks for Twilight Time releases (The Fury is the only Twilight Time BD I've bought), so I asked him about it and he said that the Stanley and Iris track was created from the 3-track scoring masters and is actually presented in 3-channel DTS audio (LCR) on the disc, same as The Fury. All of the music as heard in the film is included, including source music, with some variations here and there where the film dialed out the score.

On 1/6/2017 at 3:26 PM, Corellian2019 said:

The film stems were used to create the isolated score for The Bounty, and from what I heard, film stems were also used on The Russia House. Both of those isolated scores contained no sound effects

Film stems were NOT used for The Russia House.  They used the 3.0 Stereo (LCR) mix from Bruce Botnick’s digital 48-track master, and all of the performance edits were re-created to match the film.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Film stems were NOT used for The Russia House.  They used the 3.0 Stereo (LCR) mix from Bruce Botnick’s digital 48-track master, and all of the performance edits were re-created to match the film.

I stand corrected. I assumed that the film stems were used because the isolated score contained the film mixes for every cue, as opposed to using the album mixes for the material that was already released.

Is anyone planning on picking this BD up? I would love to see a breakdown of the complete score with timings and details on which bits were left of the brief OST.

Hope TT gives us more JW iso's in the future.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is anyone planning on picking this BD up?

On 1/4/2017 at 4:19 PM, Jay said:

Ordered!

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Hope TT gives us more JW iso's in the future.

They've already announced How To Steal A Million is coming in April.

I've never seen the film before and never listened to the OST album before, so its unlikely I'll be chomping at the bit to spend hours analyzing the music when I get it.  Sorry!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen the film before and never listened to the OST album before, so its unlikely I'll be chomping at the bit to spend hours analyzing the music when I get it.  Sorry!

Oh no! That's too bad. It's really a lovely little film with such wonderful performances. I still have it on letterboxed laserdisc. 

When you say you have never listened to the OST before, is it perhaps because you don't own it, or you aren't interested in it?

I fell in love with the score the moment I first played the CD back in 1990. It really showcases what a wonderfully versatile composer the Maestro is. When people say Williams lacks subtlety this is the score I would point them to.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope TT does SpaceCamp at some stage, would live to hear the little bits of unreleased stuff.

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Oh no! That's too bad. It's really a lovely little film with such wonderful performances. When you say you have never listened to the OST before, is it perhaps because you don't own it, or you aren't interested in it? I fell in love with the score the moment I first played the CD back in 1990. It really showcases what a wonderfully versatile composer the Maestro is.

No, I purchased the OST last year.  Just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

I hope TT does SpaceCamp at some stage, would live to hear the little bits of unreleased stuff.

Intrada obtained a license to actually release all of the unreleased bits on their CDs, but the studio was unable to turn up any usable elements, so they had to simply reissue the OST program (sourced from the album master) each time.  Of course its possible the missing elements could turn up at any time, but if they don't, then the only source for on a future SpaceCamp isolated music track would be the music stem of the final film