RICHARDSTRAUSS68

On 12/31/2016 at 11:36 AM, publicist said:

He loves Tiomkin so it's quite unlikely that he doesn't. Though i guess he favours less well-represented composers, mostly. 

Though why he never followed up his Kickstarter experiment ('Moonraker', hardly an essential score) with some more options i don't know. Maybe he is afraid of the results: he may end up re-recording 'Star Wars', 'Star Trek' and 'Krull' in all eternity.

Krull sounds marvelous. It doesn't need a re-recording.

• 2 weeks later...

James Fitzpatric from Tadlow just posted this on FSM:

I have it today on very good authority that if there is an new recording or re-release of DRACULA then nothing will be done without John Williams' being involved himself. So that certainly means no new recording unless conducted by John.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115860&forumID=1&archive=0

So there you go.

I somehow doubt it. It's possible but the end products (more often than not) seem not to be up to JW's standards (also, he participated in the OST restorations around the same time). 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Nah, his second sentence is his own interpretation of what he learned in his first sentence means.

But this is the interpretation of the person IN CHARGE of such a rerecording, isn't it?

So if he thinks Williams' involvement MUST mean him conducting, that could prevent it from happening any time soon.

That'd be a shame indeed!

But the person in charge of Tadlow says that there will not be a new recording (read: rerecording) unless John [Williams?] conducts [that rerecording].

Is that not the exact meaning of his words?

I must be misinterpreting it somehow, but I don't see where I've got it wrong...

I read it like this:

FACT:

I have it today on very good authority that if there is an new recording or re-release of DRACULA then nothing will be done without John Williams' being involved himself.

INTERPRETATION:

So that certainly means no new recording unless conducted by John.

So, he learned that Williams wants to be "involved', and INTERPRETTED that to mean "conduct himself", which isn't necessary the correct interpretation.  It could simply mean A> Wanting a release to even happen at all and B> Being involved in selecting the orchestra and conductor himself.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

So, he learned that Williams wants to be "involved', and INTERPRETTED that to mean "conduct himself", which isn't necessary the correct interpretation.

I would certainly hope so!

But if the interpretation of the person in charge of making this happen may not be the correct interpretation, is that not something to be concerned about?

If he truly believes that interpretation to be correct, he will not pursue a new rerecording conducted by anyone else.

If so, I would think that would vastly reduce the chances of it happening.

Anyone else's interpretation would make no difference, of course.

But his really does!