Mark Mancina's TWISTER (1996) - Expanded Archival Collection (La-La Land 2017)

Richard Penna

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Trope said:

Brother Bear is a favourite of mine. It's a shame that a score-only album was never released, but the 20 or so minutes of score on the official soundtrack are excellent. It's one of the first scores that as a kid I remember having a big impact on the scenes it accompanied, especially the tribal percussion and choir. There are some effective emotional moments as well, such as at 5:25 in this track.

The recording sessions (or whatever) are floating around online if you're so inclined to plug the gap until 2058 or whenever Disney get round to releasing an expanded edition. Although I do wonder if it's something that's more likely to be on Intrada given that it's not exactly a classic Disney film, plus Intrada would probably do a better job... It makes a fine companion to Tarzan, although I think Tarzan has the edge both score and songs wise.

I've always quite enjoyed Phil Collins' contributions, although there's a modestly interesting YouTube video about how having the songs not being performed in character in Tarzan means you're less engaged with the characters than if they were performed in character. Not sure it bothers me that much (some of the songs in The Lion King are performed the same way and they work well enough) but it was an interesting take. I kinda feel it was Disney trying to move away from doing pure musicals but not quite having the courage to move away entirely. Mulan is similar in that regard, just enough songs to mean it's basically a musical, but they are short and few (albeit sung in character), it would have been a perfectly great film without any songs at all, just Jerry's great score.

Damn, I've never heard Tarzan before at all (never seen the movie) and now I want to hear it based on all this talk!

So there's only 20 minutes of the score officially released?  Did the rest leak out or is the 20 all we have?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Damn, I've never heard Tarzan before at all (never seen the movie) and now I want to hear it based on all this talk!

So there's only 20 minutes of the score officially released?  Did the rest leak out or is the 20 all we have?

If you like other Mancina stuff then I think you’d enjoy Tarzan for sure. There is a recording sessions leak of that too… 

While I am massively delighted to see Mancina get all this work recently, I don't think animation plays to his strongest abilities - he is great with a heavily rhythmic approach to orchestral scoring but animation, by its incidental nature (yes, I am simplifying a massively complex genre, but here I only mean the type of films Mancina works on) does not work as well as it could for his particular talents, which are more in long-form composition.

With Mancina, it just does not get any better than this from Speed 2, which is precisely what I mean by sustaining a prolonged approach/beat and innovative orchestral variations based on a theme: 

Oh man, when it comes to Speed 2, isn't "Escape" an even better example of what you're talking about?

So relentless!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh man, when it comes to Speed 2, isn't "Escape" an even better example of what you're talking about?

So relentless!

Totally! There's so much great stuff in that score that just keeps going (and love the Dafoe motif popping up there in between the heroic stuff, but always accompanied by the persistent beat - such a Mancina idiosyncracy).

9 minutes ago, thestat said:

love the Dafoe motif popping up there in between the heroic stuff, but always accompanied by the persistent beat

Yes!

• 1 year later...

That would be awesome. His work the last few years have been few and far between, but when he releases something it's always a joy.

Twisters is a suoer fun score. And The Sea Beast & Moana show that he still got it in him to wrote fun music

• 2 weeks later...