New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

Sure - to a giant conglomerate like Sony, hearing about bootlegs for sale of music they hold the license to makes them want to get a piece of that pie.

To a small specialty label, they will probably sell 2,000 copies of a small Elfman score from the 90s if there was a bootleg beforehand or not.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

And you'd be surprised how many Potter fans have no idea that the recording sessions are around... and that the OSTs don't contain all the 'songs' written for the films.

Very true, I met someone on here that didn't know it.

On 11.4.2017 at 1:57 PM, bollemanneke said:

Do you guys think there's any chance Matessino will ever do Hook? Will that only happen when JW has passed away, or not at all?

When further material of "Home Alone" was found, whose first LLL release was already sold out, they did that second 2CD release.

"Hook" is sold out now and I'm sure when they find the missing cues and inserts, they will do another release that improves all flaws of the 2012 release. As there are many flaws, an enhanced release would be worthwhile: Missing inserts, wrong order, OST cue connections, cues taken from the film negatives, no concert versions. A definite 3CD set would be nice!

I think Williams just really likes that "Hook-Napped" sequencing and it will always be released like that (I know that wasn't really one of the main issues with the release).

Then again he let Mattessino undo his Jurassic Park OST edits so who knows.

Maybe Williams got how disappointed some of his fans were about the "Hook" release. After all it was him who decided to exclude the concert arrangements from the main program of the new "Home Alone" release.

Talking about Hook, could anyone explain to me what those film negatives/stems are and why their use is not desirable? Is it some kind of extreme version of what we call film versions, where volume fluctuations and micro-edits are retained or something?

The sound quality is also far lesser when taken from the film stems, as the quality of analogue sources decreases with every generation of copy made to the session masters (additional mixes, sound mix edits, final film stem track, etc).

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

That still doesn't explain why an artist of John's calibre wouldn't detest session leaks. It's still releasing his music in the wild without his permission, his supervision or his control over the presentation or mixing (of which he is notoriously protective).

Session leaks might be great for us fans but they rob labels of prestigious expansion opportunities (and thus revenue to keep producing these releases). They also rob Williams and the musicians who performed from earning royalties.

He's an artist who's spent decades promoting the art of music and various orchestras around the world; it would be a frustrating outcome for many reasons. Hardly in the "he wouldn't even care" category IMO.

Well said! I agree 100%! 👍

Besides, those of you who think JW doesn't know or care about such things, they have absolutely no idea how this business works. 

JW himself might not devote much time on such things, but he cares all right. That's why he has agents who represent him. They are paid commissions by JW to exactly care for such things and also to make his own wishes known...

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Talking about Hook, could anyone explain to me what those film negatives/stems are and why their use is not desirable? Is it some kind of extreme version of what we call film versions, where volume fluctuations and micro-edits are retained or something?

They don't sound as good as the new transfers from the original session tapes that the rest of the set uses.  You can't tell the difference just by listening?

I'll immerse myself in the Ultimate War some day and try to notice the difference. One cue that really sounds very different to me is The Banquet, also on the OST, like it was recorded in some small room.