Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

2 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Williams recorded a new Fox Fanfare for ESB and TPM. Would those be included in any future releases?

The TPM recording was on the UE wasn't it?

And it's unlikely, given the Disney ownership.

This is definitely good news and truly hopes that new proper expansions of the Prequels and proper remastered versions of the OT will be out in a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The TPM recording was on the UE wasn't it?

And it's unlikely, given the Disney ownership.

True. Although if Williams wants it he could probably get it on the set, particularly if his friend Matessino is producing. Who knows if he cares though. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

EDIT: It must be weird for younger people who have only seen the SE versions of the OT and never the originals, to be listening to Jedi and suddenly hear Yub Nub... :lol:

Haha. Funnily, even though I was born after the Special Editions came out, I grew up on the VHS versions.

I'm not holding my breath for expanded releases, but the fact it's no longer Sony is good news.

Lets hope some sessions leaked while all these tapes changed owners

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Such a shame they didn't get Struzan back for the sequel trilogy. His posters are one of the few redeeming aspects of the prequels/SEs.

Well, he did do this poster (http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/15/9160071/star-wars-force-awakens-movie-poster):

Spoiler

star wars force awakens poster

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Well, he did do this poster (http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/15/9160071/star-wars-force-awakens-movie-poster):

Hide contents

star wars force awakens poster

It's no theatrical poster though. I meant one in the vein of the other six, which he was apparently happy to do.

So clearly Lucasfilm just decided to do their own thing for some reason.

@azahid, I hadn't realized for some reason that the 40th anniversary of SW is this year! I knew it was soon but I never stopped to think about it. 

Based on what we know, I actually now would not be surprised if we get some great SW score stuff this year! 

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's no theatrical poster though. I meant one in the vein of the other six, which he was apparently happy to do.

So clearly Lucasfilm just decided to do their own thing for some reason.

I fear it may be because Disney saw some sort of marketing advantage in being able to have both landscape and portrait versions of the poster available so they just had some guy photoshop up a poster instead. It's weird because when the teaser poster first came out, Struzan posted it on his Instagram page with the cryptic message of...

Spoiler

struzan_capture.jpg

... and to the best of my knowledge we never found out what that was. I thought for sure his involvement for the official poster was a done deal at that point. Funnily enough, Struzan's Instagram page posted this the week TFA came out: 

Spoiler

struzan_capture_2.jpg

Not signed in

#conspiracy

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

As I predicted, the first thing Disney would do literally day one the rights revert to them is saturate digital markets with the scores under their own umbrella, to halt all revenue going to Sony. They've clearly been paying very close attention to the rights of these soundtracks.

Yea, you're right: While it's frustrating we are getting an umpteenth reissue of the OST instead of new definitive editions, it's actually EXTREMELY encouraging that Disney is clearly SO aware of soundtrack rights that they had new covers commissioned in advance of a total cross platform release on January 1 of the year the rights revert to them.  This could indicate a plan for future editions DOES exist! Good call. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Encouragingly, they've chosen to use the recently scanned OST masters for the OT rather than the ancient RCA releases. Surely a positive sign they aren't going to endlessly repackage those ancient masters like Sony did.

Well, the 1997 programs could be reissued digitally too at some point in the future, who knows. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So it seems the Vinyl releases were the "last hurrah" for Sony and the 40th Anniversary for Star Wars will fall under Disney's label! C'mon Mickey, make it a special birthday for us! :)

Woah, you're right! It's now more plausible than ever that Disney will want some sort of new soundtrack to tie into ANH's 40th... Hopefully they hire Matessino to oversee it! 

46 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Williams recorded a new Fox Fanfare for ESB and TPM. Would those be included in any future releases?

Woah. I somehow never knew (or knew but later forgot) that the Fox Fanfare was recorded by Williams for TPM.  Any chance anyone has a link that proves this? 

Does Attack of the Clones have the Target bonus track?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Woah. I somehow never knew (or knew but later forgot) that the Fox Fanfare was recorded by Williams for TPM.  Any chance anyone has a link that proves this? 

It's on the Ultimate Edition. Don't you know anything?

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, you're right: While it's frustrating we are getting an umpteenth reissue of the OST instead of new definitive editions, it's actually EXTREMELY encouraging that Disney is clearly SO aware of soundtrack rights that they had new covers commissioned in advance of a total cross platform release on January 1 of the year the rights revert to them.  This could indicate a plan for future editions DOES exist! Good call. 

Well, these "new covers" are actually just slightly altered versions of the Digital HD film bundle covers released last year:

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Star_Wars_The_Digital_Movie_Collection?id=sxvuhqcICJg&hl=en

But yes, it is encouraging how on top of things Disney is. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not that it's any kind of definitive resource, but Wikipedia says the Empire recording was used on all three prequel films. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Fox#Film

The TPM cue list on the recent score leak (yes, I know the sheets have been floating around for a while, but they only became, uh, widely available recently) doesn't mention the fanfare, interestingly. So perhaps it really was just the Empire recording. 

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Well, these "new covers" are actually just slightly altered versions of the Digital HD film bundle covers released last year:

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Star_Wars_The_Digital_Movie_Collection?id=sxvuhqcICJg&hl=en

But yes, it is encouraging how on top of things Disney is. 

Yea, I was going to mention that, you beat me to it! 

It's kinda funny that when Sony reissued the OSTs, they went back to the original LP art for each. When Disney did they same, they used art that matches their versions of the digital film reissues, despite the TFA OST these are now sold alongside with deliberately referencing the SW OST cover for its cover :P

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, I was going to mention that, you beat me to it! 

It's kinda funny that when Sony reissued the OSTs, they went back to the original LP art for each. When Disney did they same, they used art that matches their versions of the digital film reissues, despite the TFA OST these are now sold alongside with deliberately referencing the SW OST cover for its cover :P

I guess this means disney prefers the special editions??

The TPM cue list on the recent score leak (yes, I know the sheets have been floating around for a while, but they only became, uh, widely available recently) doesn't mention the fanfare, interestingly. So perhaps it really was just the Empire recording. 

Jeez, you beat me to mentioning that too! 

5 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

I guess this means disney prefers the special editions??

What? 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not that it's any kind of definitive resource, but Wikipedia says the Empire recording was used on all three prequel films. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Fox#Film

The TPM version sounds different to Empire and Jedi.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jeez, you beat me to mentioning that too! 

What? 

They used the reissue packaging and form what I can recall those reissue are the same as what I have on my 1997 special edition VHS release 

What, the films Disney is selling digitally? They are the 2011 blu ray versions, with the Fox logos removed and tracked TESB end credits edit used over the Lucasfilm logo. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

This is SUCH great news!  With the Sony roadblock officially over and done with, there's nothing stopping Disney from hiring Mike M to produce new definitive editions!

And it appears there's nothing Fox can prevent for the first film, either!

Come on Disney, do the right thing and commission new 2CD sets!

2CD? Nah, gimmie 3 CD sets please. :P

So the film score, plus the alternate battle over coruscant, alternate Padme's ruminations, alternate Grievous travels to Palpatine, alt. Lament, can all fit on one CD? ROTS was pretty wall-to-wall music without the tracked / looped drums music as is. 

10 minutes ago, Score_Fan said:

So the film score, plus the alternate battle over coruscant, alternate Padme's ruminations, alternate Grievous travels to Palpatine, alt. Lament, can all fit on one CD? ROTS was pretty wall-to-wall music without the tracked / looped drums music as is. 

Umm I would guess no but hey I may be wrong!

1 hour ago, Will said:

@azahid, I hadn't realized for some reason that the 40th anniversary of SW is this year! I knew it was soon but I never stopped to think about it. 

Based on what we know, I actually now would not be surprised if we get some great SW score stuff this year! 

@Will Its STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS both headed for their 40th! And as I pointed out in my other thread that Disney would not be stupid enough to miss this Anniversary. And now with Disney taking over its also interesting to note that they have only used OST renditions of the albums and not using the RCA expanded masters (from the original Trilogy). Which would mean that they are waiting to do their own versions of the full expansions. I suspect IF a proper expansion set is being planned as a box set or just 2cd redux we could expect these to be ready by mid 2017?   January 2017 looks like a good head start anyways...

1 minute ago, azahid said:

@ Will Its STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS both headed for their 40th! And as I pointed out in my other thread that Disney would not be stupid enough to miss this Anniversary. And now with Disney taking over its also interesting to note that they have only used OST renditions of the albums and not using the RCA expanded masters (from the original Trilogy). Which would mean that they are waiting to do their own versions of the full expansions. I suspect IF a proper expansion set is being planned as a box set or just 2cd redux we could expect these t be ready by mid 2017?   January 2017 looks like a good head start anyways...

Exactly, when was it that expanded version of close encounters came out? It was way overdue for something.

7 minutes ago, azahid said:

@Will Its STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS both headed for their 40th! And as I pointed out in my other thread that Disney would not be stupid enough to miss this Anniversary. And now with Disney taking over its also interesting to note that they have only used OST renditions of the albums and not using the RCA expanded masters (from the original Trilogy). Which would mean that they are waiting to do their own versions of the full expansions. I suspect IF a proper expansion set is being planned as a box set or just 2cd redux we could expect these t be ready by mid 2017?   January 2017 looks like a good head start anyways...

I have a sneaking suspicion something big is coming for the 40th Anniversary.

Remember how we heard ILM just finished that 4K remaster of Star Wars a few months back? Well, what better way to celebrate the 40th Anniversary than a re-release of the original, unaltered movie in cinemas? What better excuse than to release a brand new 40th Anniversary complete soundtrack to go with it? And if the remastered original cut wasn't enough to get you back in cinemas, they'll be launching the Episode VIII trailer exclusively with it, and it won't go online for a week after the remaster hits cinemas. ;)

2 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Which ending to ROTJ would be in the main program, YubNub or that New Age music?

It's Yub Nub in this one.

In an eventual re-release, they'll include both (with Victory Celebration in the bonuses, probably).

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I have a sneaking suspicion something big is coming for the 40th Anniversary.

Remember how we heard ILM just finished that 4K remaster of Star Wars a few months back? Well, what better way to celebrate the 40th Anniversary than a re-release of the original, unaltered movie in cinemas? What better excuse than to release a brand new 40th Anniversary complete soundtrack to go with it? And if the remastered original cut wasn't enough to get you back in cinemas, they'll be launching the Episode VIII trailer exclusively with it, and it won't go online for a week after the remaster hits cinemas. ;)

It's Yub Nub.

If that is the case with the remaster I sir will be first in line at the local cinema and will be telling my future children about the mouse who ended our dark times of CGI