Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah. I somehow never knew (or knew but later forgot) that the Fox Fanfare was recorded by Williams for TPM.  Any chance anyone has a link that proves this? 

John Williams conducted the Fox Fanfare for The Phantom Menace.

swmusic.jpg

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Wake me when Disney finally releases the ESB OST separately on CD.

I'm actually wondering whether their anniversary thing will just be to release the OSTs on CD or something ... maybe with Matessino going back to the original tapes!

I hope it's the complete score(s) though!

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

They could just drip-feed the releases one movie at a time (though that's unlikely -- I see a box set by trilogy, at the very least).

The interesting thing is that if Disney is indeed hiring Matessino, these could be expensive sets if they can't sell very many. Selling them one at a time might be a way to make them more widely attractive. It will be interesting to see what Disney's strategy is. 

5 minutes ago, ckappes said:

John Williams conducted the Fox Fanfare for The Phantom Menace.

swmusic.jpg

Hmmm...

It is on the screen but he is not conducting at that time, it seems. So it is still possible that they just paused on the logo while waiting to start the main title or something. Kudos for finding that in any case!

1 minute ago, Will said:

Hmmm...

It is on the screen but he is not conducting at that time, it seems. So it is still possible that they just paused on the logo while waiting to start the main title or something. Kudos for finding that in any case!

I'm not sure but look at the orchestra, especially the string players. They are actually playing.

Just now, ckappes said:

I'm not sure but look at the orchestra, especially the string players. They are actually playing.

I'm no expert but it looks to be like they're just practicing. Williams is looking down at his sheet music and thumbing through the pages, several orchestra members can be seen turning behind them to talk to someone...

You really wouldn't need to have the Fox logo playing on the screen just to re-record the fanfare again... 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Hopefully Disney has a 3 step plan

1 The original OST programs sold digitally

2 The original OST programs on CD and vinyl

3 Newly produced Expanded Releases on CD, vinyl, and digital, wiping out the 1997 SE programs and TPM UE forever.

2 Made me smile.

3 Made me tear up!

First, for their CD release, the original OST programmes have to be totally "reconstructed". There is no need to release them on CD the way they actually are.

Since the Anthology boxset, we now have for example an excellent Star Wars Main Theme EDIT. We don't have to suffer the old OST edit of the Theme anymore.

In life, we have to move forward, not backward.

I just realized something.  This means the OSTs to TPM, AOTC, and ROTS are technically now Out Of Print (on CD).  Wow!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just realized something.  This means the OSTs to TPM, AOTC, and ROTS are technically now Out Of Print (on CD).  Wow!

Theoretically, yes.

However thousands and thousands can still be found on store shelves (especially after the re-release last year).

5 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Doesn't that go for the SE sets too?

Well, yes of course.  But this is the first time the prequels OSTs have been Out Of Print on CD since they were released.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Theoretically, yes.

However thousands and thousands can still be found on store shelves (especially after the re-release last year).

I know.

Crazy to think that the rights have actually reverted to Disney.

I haven't been here that long but it's always been something that was very much on the horizon - "some day the rights will go to Disney and they will be able to produce definitive releases." :lol:

Stepping back for a moment I actually wonder though how many of these I'll want to buy if indeed they do proper expansions. To buy all of them would be quite expensive, particularly if they go at specialty label prices -- but even among the individual scores, are there any cues I really want that much? The only one I can think of is the AOTC original finale, which will probably be incredible to hear performed by an actual orchestra. 

TFA complete would be a certain buy, since I've practically been studying that score (along with The BFG) since I became a JW fan. But I don't know about the others. 

I suppose the sound quality upgrade is what most people are excited for -- but as of yet I still can't really hear the sound quality differences people are always talking about. My ears aren't that finely tuned yet. Maybe the liner notes would be really nice too. 

But in terms of additional music, there'll be basically nothing for the OT, and not all that much for the PT either, right?

1 hour ago, Will said:

Ahem...

;)

Wow - that's my video (and Datameister's mockup).  Up to 91,000 views!  I should get revenue from youtube for this! ;)

Just now, Will said:

Stepping back for a moment I actually wonder though how many of these I'll want to buy if indeed they do proper expansions. To buy all of them would be quite expensive, particularly if they go at specialty label prices -- but even among the individual scores, are there any cues I really want that much? The only one I can think of is the AOTC original finale, which will probably be incredible to hear performed by an actual orchestra.

You could just listen to it on Youtube. Not need to buy the sets, really...

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You could just listen to it on Youtube. Not need to buy the sets, really...

Well that's the thing, yeah. I would likely be able to find the couple tracks I really wanted online. 

They would still be cool to own, though. And maybe by then I will have turned into an audiophile!

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Stepping back for a moment I actually wonder though how many of these I'll want to buy if indeed they do proper expansions. To buy all of them would be quite expensive,

It's John Williams, man!  It's worth it.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And then give all the money to Williams.

To finance the release of the actual orchestral recording of that piece. ;)

Not a moment's hesitation from me when they announce it. I would imagine it'll be the same for quite a few people on here. These scores are definitely worth owning in expanded  form.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I would happily pay $30 each for all six scores.

The good news is that if they come out on Disney Records label, and not a specialty label, they will be cheaper than that.  Probably the same pricing as the Disney Legacy Collection from a few years back.

How much was that?

Your google skills are as good as mine.  That is not the kind of information I keep in my brain - it's not like I bought even one of them.

Just now, Will said:

How much was that?

The Legacy Colection was a series of scores released by Disney, not a single release. It gave us quite a few expanded Disney scores for a fairly decent price each score. I can't remember what the exact pricing for each is though and my e-mail with the invoice that had the first set I got (The Lion King) has disappeared. I have a feeling it was somewhere within the range of £/$20-30, dependant on title.

Oh wow the Legacy Collection titles are quite reasonably priced. Even a 3CD set goes for under $20 (although maybe it was originally more?) 

36 minutes ago, Will said:

I suppose the sound quality upgrade is what most people are excited for -- but as of yet I still can't really hear the sound quality differences people are always talking about. My ears aren't that finely tuned yet. Maybe the liner notes would be really nice too. 

Really? It's especially obvious for ROTJ SE release.  Like they just held a microphone in front of speakers some times.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I bought each of those the day they came out at Media Play in Worcester, Massachusetts on January 14, January 28, and March 11 of 1997.  I still have the shrinkwrap (with sticker) on all three - I only cut the wrap enough to be able to slide the digipaks out the sides.

Ah, but did you get the cardboard box that houses all 3 of the "books" (similar to the Indy box)? I did. :)

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Really? It's especially obvious for ROTJ SE release.  Like they just held a microphone in front of speakers some times.

I recently listened to it and didn't notice any problems!

(Although I was in a car or an airport terminal, which are not silent!) 

9 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I can't wait for Disney to release last year's set but with new covers!!

In all seriousness, I am starting to think that will be their first step. Particularly after MM's "you will be disappointed" comment.

I mean, would it make any economic sense to rush out definitive releases right away? 

3 minutes ago, Will said:

I recently listened to it and didn't notice any problems!

I used to think that was just the way that score sounded.

Then I heard the same tracks on the Anthology set. World of difference.

1 minute ago, Will said:

In all seriousness, I am starting to think that will be their first step. I mean, would it make any economic sense to rush out definitive releases right away? 

See my 3 step plan posted above!

Just now, Will said:

In all seriousness, I am starting to think that will be their first step. I mean, would it make any economic sense to rush out definitive releases right away? 

Presumably they've had access to the original session tapes since they purchased Lucasfilm so it's definitely possible (maybe not likely) that they could have been working on it for a while now.