Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

11 hours ago, azahid said:

I think she is involved with overseeing John Williams related projects. Both She and Frank Marshall joint twitter account had promoted the LLL JURASSIC PARK set. 

Wow! I hadn't realized that ... but here it is:

So I guess they really do care about these releases. Cool! Bodes well for the future! When you have Kathleen Kennedy and Steven Spielberg on your side, there is not much in the film business that can stop you, I'd think. 

Disney likely bought out Sony Classical's contract, and Sony probably agreed to a shorter window.

They purchased Paramount's home video/theatrical rights to the pre-Disney Marvel Studios titles, four years after purchasing the studio. That's probably what Disney did for the SW music rights.

54 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Disney likely bought out Sony Classical's contract, and Sony probably agreed to a shorter window.

They purchased Paramount's home video/theatrical rights to the pre-Disney Marvel Studios titles, four years after purchasing the studio. That's probably what Disney did for the SW music rights.

Does that mean the Paramount logo will be taken away from future releases of those movies? What about Indiana Jones?

4 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Does that mean the Paramount logo will be taken away from future releases of those movies? What about Indiana Jones?

The Paramount logo is staying put, likely due to a contractual clause. Disney's DVD/Blu-ray releases of Iron Man, Thor, et al are virtually identical to the Par releases.

The rights for Indiana Jones had to be ironed out by Disney and Paramount before they moved forward, but the latter will retain control of the first four films. While Disney will own marketing and distribution control for future films, Paramount will get a cut of the profits from any future Indy films that are made and released. So the studio will get screen credit and appear on the marketing materials, a la The Avengers and Iron Man 3.

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Paramount logo is staying put, likely due to a contractual clause. Disney's DVD/Blu-ray releases of Iron Man, Thor, et al are virtually identical to the Par releases.

The rights for Indiana Jones had to be ironed out by Disney and Paramount before they moved forward, but the latter will retain control of the first four films. While Disney will own marketing and distribution control for future films, Paramount will get a cut of the profits from any future Indy films that are made and released. So the studio will get screen credit and appear on the marketing materials, a la The Avengers and Iron Man 3.

Sounds nice enough 

Fun scenario:

Disney restores the Star Wars trilogy and releases the original theatrical versions on DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K in a glorious new transfer BUT omits the 20th Century Fox Fanfare and replaces it with a modern digital Disney logo. 

The outcry will be hilarious.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Fun scenario:

Disney restores the Star Wars trilogy and releases the original theatrical versions on DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K in a glorious new transfer BUT omits the 20th Century Fox Fanfare and replaces it with a modern digital Disney logo. 

Well that would be a fun pickle, did you guys here about the restored version of A New Hope that leaked online? Not the Unspecialized version someone payed a lot of money found a original print and restored it! They are currently working on a 4K restoration!

56 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Fun scenario:

The original theatrical versions won't get released. 

2 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Well that would be a fun pickle, did you guys here about the restored version of A New Hope that leaked online? Not the Unspecialized version someone payed a lot of money found a original print and restored it! They are currently working on a 4K restoration!

This seems like you misheard a real news story.

Lucasfilm has apparently, maybe a "restored"/"remastered"/whatever 4k transfer of the original film.  So it wasn't just some person.  And it hasn't leaked online, Gareth Edwards just let it slip in an interview.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-4k-restoration/

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This seems like you misheard a real news story.

Lucasfilm has apparently, maybe a "restored"/"remastered"/whatever 4k transfer of the original film.  So it wasn't just some person.  And it hasn't leaked online, Gareth Edwards just let it slip in an interview.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-4k-restoration/

I downloaded the unofficial release version to see. it is legit. The orginal A new hope is back 

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2016/01/15/Team-Negative-One-completes-35mm-Restoration-of-Star-Wars

1 minute ago, dillweed97 said:

I downloaded the unofficial release version to see. it is legit.

Ah I see what you mean now.  You were talking about two separate things.  The restored version somebody made from a print and Lucasfilm has a 4k restoration. I gotcha.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ah I see what you mean now.  You were talking about two separate things.  The restored version somebody made from a print and Lucasfilm has a 4k restoration. I gotcha.

and these other people are starting to raise it to 4k using multiple prints look http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/page/Project-4K77

6 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

I want the theatrical versions of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones on Blu-ray.

Yes. Puppet Yoda and a shorter podrace, please! Even though we'll have to lose the brief Anakin/Schmi exchange before the start of the race, which actually benefitted the film.

Did they change anything to AotC after its cinema release? Because I remember the movie already having two different versions when it was released in cinemas. The DCP was finished slightly later than the 35mm print, so there were some minor changes (Padme's response to a clone trooper after falling out of the transport ship and Padmé holding Anakin's bionic hand during the finale). I believe the DVD was sourced from the digital release. Was anything altered after that?

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I think they changed the order of a few shots during Dooku's escape from Geonosis and Padme's arrival at the hangar.

That's correct, and the sound editing that goes with that rearrangement is shoddy at best.

Well, they added an exchange where Padme says "To be angry is to be human" and a big change was made for the Blu-ray version when Dooku flees in his ship. That in addition to the teal tint is why i prefer the DVD version.

1 minute ago, Rose Dawson said:

Well, they added an exchange where Padme says "To be angry is to be human"

That's in the DVD version of the film.

I really don't like the CGI Yoda in TPM. It looks very bad. It became trendy at the time to bash the puppet, but I never had any issue with it. At least it was real. I do understand Lucas going for continuity, but in this case (like with the Emperor in TESB), I would have said fuck it and left it to history. Now, the CGI Yoda walking in a brief shot at the end of TPM, I've always been impressed with.

17 minutes ago, Gistech said:

That's in the DVD version of the film.

Yes. And it was also in the digital cinema release (although not on the 35mm print).

14 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

I really don't like the CGI Yoda in TPM. It looks very bad. It became trendy at the time to bash the puppet, but I never had any issue with it. At least it was real. I do understand Lucas going for continuity, but in this case (like with the Emperor in TESB), I would have said fuck it and left it to history.

I watched the Obi-Wan/Yoda scene at the end of TPM on Netflix. There's something fake about the way Yoda is integrated in that scene. The atmosphere doesn't match and he looks pasted onto the scene. So by "fixing" the puppet, they've now created another poblem. Which seems to be a running theme in many of the changes made to the Star Wars for the Blu-Ray release.

Shmi's voice calling Anakin's name was added to the BluRay of AotC. I believe August recorded the dialogue when she was in for Clone Wars. 

Puppett Yoda in TPM is awful. "A green catcher's mitt with ears" is the best discriotion I've ever heard. 

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Shmi's voice calling Anakin's name was added to the BluRay of AotC. I believe August recorded the dialogue when she was in for Clone Wars. 

They only added that because it looked like Anakin was having a wank.

Do we really need a thread to remember us that 62 versions of the Star Wars movies exists?... And that we all paid for owning them? VHS fullscreen, VHS widescreen, French, English, THX, Special Edition, DVD.. Oh, God I think I'm gonna be sick.

I would like to enter a shop and to ask the clerk: "two weeks of my childhood, summer, 1983 please?". -"To carry over your account or pay cash?".

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « VHS limited edition star wars »

I realized some days ago that Ewoks and Wookies are nude in Star Wars.

There is no other sign to prove that I totally lost my child heart. :mellow:

Just now, Rose Dawson said:

They have no visible genitals. I assume Ewoks reproduce similarly to Mogwai when they touch water.

LOL

1 minute ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Chewbacca seems like he should have a decently-large phallus. Good thing the hair is covering it all up.

I would not sit down on his place in the Millenium Falcon.