Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Just re-record the whole original trilogy and be done with it!

I don't think that would be necessary here. We know the general are where it is more than likely. I wonder what would happen if someone called them and just asked hey are the original sessions lost to time? Just curious to know. Of course just ask them when I called ILM a few years ago when I was working on a project to Small Soldiers they went through archives to pull something out for me to add to it. I am sure them at Lucasfilm know where it is.

With the switchover of ownership of Lucasfilm to Disney, I'm sure all the  inventories were indexed and categorised for the complete ownership. Since Disney has been working on a rumoured  brand new 4K transfer of STAR WARS for this years 40th anniversary celebration, its always possible everything related  to STAR WARS must have been uncovered. I'll bet they would have found all the music tapes too. I hope.

Maybe they've done a new 7.1 audio mix for Star Wars, sourcing all the original elements and re-assembling the sound mix? To do that properly, they would've gone back to the original scoring session tapes.

IIRC Universal did a similar thing for Jaws when that got a 4K remaster, as the original audio mix was mono.

11 hours ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

A short bit of the Max Rebo Band source cue is in the SWBF music files (although it was edit to sound like it's coming from speakers), so I'm assuming they found that cue, or at least used the film stems.

It's film stems - the proper session elements are still missing.

Hopefully they are sitting in an incorrectly marked box somewhere and will be found.  

5 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

You know I wouldn't be surprised if they are sitting in a unmarked box at Lucas Film or 20th century storage. It's somewhere, could be anywhere a..... well wait a minute the first Star Wars can't be too lost remember the anthology release had like what 4 takes from the real master session tapes on the CD? so they are somewhere. Which means we have hope or a Star Wars complete release this year. 

No one ever said SW had missing elements.  TESB doesn't either; Only ROTJ does.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Shit happens! 

And always to our favourite film scores! It's not fair!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the U.S. looking for the old 2CD Sony version looks like Barnes and Noble is having a Soundtrack Sale.

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

And of course, a few other usual suspects for JW OSTs are there as well

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, skyy38 said:

So WHAT?

SCREW THE MOUSE HOUSE!

Who GIVES a *fuck*?

If you want to be a member of our community, you cannot only post foul-mouthed, angry posts.  You have to participate in real conversation or you just come across as a troll.  

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you want to be a member of our community, you cannot only post foul-mouthed, angry posts.  You have to participate in real conversation or you just come across as a troll.  

I love the way your post can be interpreted as “you can post foul mouthed, angry posts as long as you post some good stuff from time to time” 😂

Foul language isn't specifically banned, and people should be allowed to say what they like OR don't like about things, but when you ONLY post about not liking things and use foul language every time, its a problem

On 11/13/2017 at 4:43 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

giphy.gif

Oh dear, so here I was, scrolling through this topic when I find the above gif. You really have a thing for masturbation, don't you?

• 1 year later...

So, to necro this thread without reading it through:

I recently listened to the MM interview about Jurassic Park and he mentioned rights to specific arrangements of tracks - main example was Rescuing Sarah, which was edited down, so the OST holders had to revert the rights of this OST version back to the studio, so the studio could licence out the full cue, including both what was on the OST and what was not, to LLL.

Since then I've been thinking having to do this legal bullcrap as little as possible could be the main reason why in expanded releases, sometimes obviously intended transitions are not restored, like in HP2 with Aragog/Spiders Attack (Aragog was a separate track on the OST - Lost World also has many intended transitions not replicated on the set), why names like Entry into the Great Hall and The Banquet have to be kept even if not representative of the contents, why somewhat strange arrangements like Buckbeak's Flight are kept (new rewritten opening take transitioning back into midway through the old opening which it was supposed to replace, instead of doing a "proper" new (film) and old (alternate) pair like with Quidditch, Third Year), possibly why Cadillac of the Skies doesn't have the 3-second harp run-up intro (still could have stuck it in front of the alternate, Mike, you're not gonna live this down!), maybe even why almost 100% worthless not-actually-alternate takes are kept on expanded releases just because they were on the OST - I suspect there's a lot of back-and-forth, deciding which ones are worth the trouble of wasting the time on or upsetting the OST holder by taking almost all the album away from them, in this digital age where renaming a track takes 2 seconds and replicating a transition might take 10 minutes to really finetune.

Why I'm bringing it up in this thread is I'm curious if anyone knows what the status of the SW and Indy scores are now in this regard - is Disney Records close enough an entity to whoever owns the films now, who has the Indy OSTs, could it all impede on Mike's ability to keep the incredible flow of Phantom Menace or Temple of Doom without having to worry about what middle-of-a-multicue-setpiece bits JW decided to completely yank out of context 40-20 years ago?

10 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why would the JP score rights belong to anyone other than Universal? They released the albums through MCA which is/was a part of Universal?

What a mess.

They should just let the government own it.

I just hope that whoever makes the decisions about soundtracks at Disney is aware of Mike. I think I remember that Spielberg and/or Kennedy were happy with how JP/TLW turned out and obviously Mike is relatively close with Williams. But is this enough for Mike to just call up Williams after Episode 9 and go like "So, three trilogies in the can. Shouldn't we talk about complete score releases now?" And Williams just sets everything in motion with Disney. Could this happen?

I don’t think JW has that kind of pull.

To publish 9 complete scores for one of the most popular, longest running movie franchises in the world, I am guessing there would have to be a lot of meetings, budget calculations, forecasts, executive decisions, marketing strategies and alignment with other projects (both SW and other wise).

But if JW would want it released, it certainly wouldn’t hurt.

To us it's a no-brainer, but I agree. Large companies just mean additional levels of managerial oversight. It's a shame Williams has 13 scores tied up under Disney now, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise with regards to licensing fees? 

No label could independently release the SW sequel trilogy without a big studio paying the fees.